Health protocols for toddlers

I'm travelling on RCL Voyager of the Seas from Copenhagen on the 29th June. I haven't been on a family cruise before and I'm quite concerned about the Healthy Sailing Protocols they've updated recently around unvaccinated under 5s. Myself, my wife and our 8 year old are all fully vaccinated and my 3 year old daughter is obviously not (there are no Covid vaccines available for under 5s). What concerns me is this:

Masks are optional for vaccinated guests and expected for unvaccinated children onboard. Masks will be required in Adventure Ocean, in the cruise terminal, and may be required at various destinations.

So they're expecting toddlers to wear masks? How can they possibly expect them to do so? There's no way I can see us being able to force our 3 year old to wear a mask especially when almost everyone else will not be. Is this something actually enforced? Honestly if I knew this prior to booking I would not even have booked. Any insights appreciated.

2 hours ago, spacexdragon said:

I'm travelling on RCL Voyager of the Seas from Copenhagen on the 29th June. I haven't been on a family cruise before and I'm quite concerned about the Healthy Sailing Protocols they've updated recently around unvaccinated under 5s. Myself, my wife and our 8 year old are all fully vaccinated and my 3 year old daughter is obviously not (there are no Covid vaccines available for under 5s). What concerns me is this:

So they're expecting toddlers to wear masks? How can they possibly expect them to do so? There's no way I can see us being able to force our 3 year old to wear a mask especially when almost everyone else will not be. Is this something actually enforced? Honestly if I knew this prior to booking I would not even have booked. Any insights appreciated.

Im really sorry, but if your cruise was booked anytime in the last 24 months, you should have asked or at least been aware that this could happen. Depending on when you booked, you may be able to cancel and receive a credit for later use. At one point mask wearing was made mandatory for ALL passengers(over 2?) vaccinated and unvaccinated and clearly stated on their website.

2 hours ago, spacexdragon said:

So they're expecting toddlers to wear masks? How can they possibly expect them to do so? There's no way I can see us being able to force our 3 year old to wear a mask especially when almost everyone else will not be. Is this something actually enforced?

Not once did anyone ask us to have our 2.5 year old put a mask on. You'll be fine.

We were on Odyssey and Symphony at Christmas and the protocols for unvaccinated children was difficult. With on certain venues open to anyone unless fully vaccinated it was hard work. Kids club was operating limited hours and sessions, so if you wanted a drink and a little bit of peace for a couple of hours in the evening you had to plan in detail. The protocols on the Oasis class ships were more intense than on the smaller ships like Odyssey also. Beware about what is also posted on the RC website, we found that this wasn't accurate either.

1 hour ago, Spang1974 said:

Im really sorry, but if your cruise was booked anytime in the last 24 months, you should have asked or at least been aware that this could happen. Depending on when you booked, you may be able to cancel and receive a credit for later use. At one point mask wearing was made mandatory for ALL passengers(over 2?) vaccinated and unvaccinated and clearly stated on their website.

Not helpful. And I beg to differ.

• 4 weeks later...

This is another concern for me, that OUR 2,5yo toddler would be required to wear a mask, as she has never ever during the pandemic had to wear a mask anywhere...

Does anyone have the most recent experience on the enforcement of this, and does anyone know if the nursery is also considered and Adventure Ocean program/activity with the requirement for over 2yolds to wear a mask?

I would respectfully suggest practicing with the child now.  I didn’t see anyone of any age wearing masks on Harmony last month after the mandate was dropped (a few exceptions of course as is their right).  But Adventure Ocean may still require it as per protocols.  If you go in knowing you may not be able to use AO maskless, you’ll be fine.  There’s plenty to keep kids occupied.

On 3/28/2022 at 11:20 AM, Spang1974 said:

You would be hard pressed to find a country in Europe (or anywhere else) that's asking kids this young to mask... Masking on toddlers (especially when the adults around them are unmasked) is a pretty uniquely American thing. I don't find it odd at all that someone who hasn't watched this unfold very carefully wouldn't be absolutely caught off guard by the disparity in policies.

29 minutes ago, u401226 said:

Does anyone have the most recent experience on the enforcement of this, and does anyone know if the nursery is also considered and Adventure Ocean program/activity with the requirement for over 2yolds to wear a mask?

We haven't been on a cruise since last year, but our daughter was 2.5 at the time. She was required to "wear" a mask in the nursery as an older toddler (put in quotes because after 5 minutes of wearing it invariably became a necklace or a scarf). We didn't use the nursery much.