Kinda live … Anthem 3/27/22

cruisinnewbie

Well, today starts once again with tears but, alas, not over bridgerton. I am officially back in reality, left an aimless shell of a person wandering around my house trying to swipe my sea pass and looking for my genie. As they said in the movie space jam, which I napped through in the royal theater yesterday while my kids watched, “that’s all folks.”

As we effortlessly debarked this morning after a final coastal kitchen breakfast, we reached a point in the terminal where Leroy informed us that he had to leave us. My daughter sobbed and hugged him, and I’m proud to say I managed not to do the same. Barely. It’s amazing how in seven days you can get to attached to someone. 

But I’m getting ahead of myself and dwelling on the sadness of today like a moody viscount torn between love and family duty… oh wait, that’s bridgerton again. Sorry. Let’s go back to the fun - the last day of the cruise!

We basically tried to do everything in that last day to make the most of it - everything indoors, that is, since the one problem with our super convenient, close to home port is the cold weather that shocks you back to reality before they even kick you off the ship. I think I left off in my last entry right before Jamie’s lunch. It was yummy, as usual, though my son scarfed down some pasta and then ran to hang out with his cruise buddies. This was the most pleasant surprise for me on this trip - I didn’t expect him to find such a nice group of kids to hang out with. Leroy stopped by to give my daughter a duck he found, which made her day of course. 

We went and got our photos - I pre purchased a 100 photo package with a Black Friday deal, and in retrospect I don’t think we needed it. It was annoying how many photos weren’t included in the package - ifly, other activities. And one of my kids managed to look confused or miserable in pretty much every pic we took that was included. 

We then waited to watch the aforementioned space jam (I drew the short straw so I got to go to the movie while my husband went back to the suite to nap). My daughter was standing on the steps and dropped the duck Leroy had just gifted her. It went through the open stairs and disappeared. I searched desperately, even ending up in a crew only area at the bottom of the staircase. Oops. A crew member saw my despairing child and went and got her one of her own collection of ducks, which was so sweet. Just as we were about to move on, we found the original duck on top of a hand sanitizing station, so this ended up being a two for one duck special for my kid. She recounted this dramatic tale to anyone within earshot for quite a while. We settled in for the movie and who should walk in but my son and his cruise buddies. How embarrassing for him. And then who should walk in a minute later? Leroy, summoned by my son for virgin pina coladas. Note to self: if I’m ever lucky enough to have a genie again, do NOT give my kid the genie’s number. 

After I slept through the movie (though since Leroy was there anyway I did ask him for an iced coffee), we went to meet my husband to try the royal mystery game. We found out we’re not that good at solving puzzles. Oh well. 

My kids wanted wonderland again for dinner, but they were booked, so Leroy brought wonderland to us in the suite. That made things easier anyway since we had to pack up as well. I wrote thank you notes to Leroy, Raj, and Agnel (room attendants) and gave them out, which felt like the beginning of the long goodbye. We got everything packed and put our luggage out in the hall before heading to the 9:15 goodbye variety show. Raj caught us on our way out and gave my daughter a little towel bunny to take home, which she has treated as her most prized possession and hasn’t put down since. 
FACE097A-1393-4553-B4DB-E432DDAF3720.thumb.jpeg.838d86174f39d768e01431d935fb5fa4.jpeg

the show was fun - Joff is a funny cruise director. Frankie and the dreamers were back, this time with an extra dreamer - I guess the third one was quarantined with the other entertainment folks for their first show? Who knows. My son was off living it up with his buds, including coming in second in the ship air hockey competition. My husband had some drinks and kept a watchful eye on the kids as they hung out until midnight (!) while my daughter and I went to bed. When we got back to the room, we discovered presents from Leroy to us - it was overwhelming, really. My daughter got a t shirt featuring her favorite Disney movie, and also one more duck - a green one, since Leroy knows that’s her favorite color. My Lego and video game loving son got Minecraft legos, my husband got a lovely watch and I got a really pretty necklace. It was just too much and that’s when the sadness really hit that this fantasy was coming to an end.

5615CB78-D8DE-4448-8804-AAF4A129BFDA.thumb.jpeg.1c9ad75cb8cdc817420dbe017eac271e.jpeg

That brings us back to where I started, with sad goodbyes and post-vacation blues. At least we were reunited with our lovable mutt, Bowie  

07365478-4FB7-4FCB-8DF0-72F7E4A0FA14.thumb.jpeg.ce204337b772cae4d5f23d91fe8966d7.jpeg

I don’t know when or if we will find ourselves able to do star class again, but if we can we certainly will, and if you are on the fence about it I’d say it’s really quite special. Thanks for reading my ramblings this week!

Edited by cruisinnewbie
Typos

Oh I LOVED reading through this! We were on the week prior in the suite next to you! We had Simona and felt the same way - how could she POSSIBLY have other families; she's always around for us! There was one night in CK when she was seating and chatting with a couple she had and Jolie (my 7yo) goes "Oh, there's Simona!" and proceeded to STAND UP AND WAVE HER ARMS and say really loudly, "SIMONA! OVER HERE!" it was mortifiying, lol. 

I'm so glad you enjoyed your trip - it wasn't our first cruise but it was our first Star Class and hoo boy there's no going back, haha. 

21 hours ago, jejojoju said:

Oh I LOVED reading through this! We were on the week prior in the suite next to you! We had Simona and felt the same way - how could she POSSIBLY have other families; she's always around for us! There was one night in CK when she was seating and chatting with a couple she had and Jolie (my 7yo) goes "Oh, there's Simona!" and proceeded to STAND UP AND WAVE HER ARMS and say really loudly, "SIMONA! OVER HERE!" it was mortifiying, lol. 

I'm so glad you enjoyed your trip - it wasn't our first cruise but it was our first Star Class and hoo boy there's no going back, haha. 

Thanks for reading! Yes, I fear I have spoiled by family forever. We met Simona a couple of times and she seemed so lovely.