daughter turns 15.... 3 weeks late to join friends in older group can she be with them?

My daughter turns 15 on Aug 22 but the cruise we want on liberty of the seas is July 23-30th.  ALL the other 5 kids are 15+ she will be left out and this is causing the group to not cruise.   Is there anyway she can join the rest of the group being that close to 15??   She is in high school but just a late birthday

THANKS SO MUCH!!

Edited by chris123
Adding

When mine were younger, I was able to sign a permission/ waiver for her to join with the older group. I encourage you to use the Royal Caribbean twitter and message them your question and ship. I have found them incredibly helpful in gett Answers to specific questions such as yours.

I think it really depends on who you talk to and when, on the ship you are sailing on.  We had the opposite happen.  My grandson was super interested in science when he was in his early years in Elementary school.  We told him that one of the activity rooms on the ship was a room that included science projects.  He was so excited I though he was going to crawl out of his own skin.  Turns out, after we got on board, he was a few months too old for that particular room.  Man was he disappointed, tears tears tears were flowing which made me choke up.  He actually thought he was going to make a volcano or something like that.  I felt so bad for him.  The people that ran the room would not budge, he was too old for the room, even if just one day.  So, I'd be ready for a disappointment, a happy time or have a wade of money in your hand and then have a happy time.  

I spent 10 years cruising with my son from age 8 to 18 on 5 different cruise lines.  The answer is maybe.  It is different on each ship and each cruise.  If the cruise only has a few kids, they will not separate them.  If the cruise is loaded with kids, they will separate them very tightly.  The purpose of separating them is to not get teenagers mixing with tweens; little kids mixing with tweens; etc.   My experience is they will work with you.  If the people in the kid's area will not work with you just go up.  Everyone on the ship has a boss except for the captain.

2 hours ago, jay1021 said:

I think it really depends on who you talk to and when, on the ship you are sailing on.  We had the opposite happen.  My grandson was super interested in science when he was in his early years in Elementary school.  We told him that one of the activity rooms on the ship was a room that included science projects.  He was so excited I though he was going to crawl out of his own skin.  Turns out, after we got on board, he was a few months too old for that particular room.  Man was he disappointed, tears tears tears were flowing which made me choke up.  He actually thought he was going to make a volcano or something like that.  I felt so bad for him.  The people that ran the room would not budge, he was too old for the room, even if just one day.  So, I'd be ready for a disappointment, a happy time or have a wade of money in your hand and then have a happy time.  

There is a world of difference between Adventure Ocean where there have been reports of strict adherence to age and the teen clubs. In the teen club, there is a strict cut off at 17 (no 18 yo’s).  13-17 is 1 big group.  

We were on Harmony a few weeks ago. My teens were 13 & 15. There were no rules for the over 13 group. They could come and go whenever (and wherever, it seemed), and join in on events or not. My teens didn't care for the "obnoxious" (their word) teens on the ship so they didn't spend any time in the teen areas. When we walked around late at night the teens we encountered were running around, screaming profanities at each other and I swear they were trying to break whatever they could get their hands on. I think RCL needs to have a little more for them to do, or at least keep an eye on them when there isn't much to do. All the teens I saw were ridiculous!! I assume their parents were in shows or clubs and so they felt they were free to do whatever they wanted. It was off putting. 

Yup I saw them too.  Just like the local mall, I don’t understand dropping your kid off & letting them run amok.  I used to be a manager at a large department store and on Friday night, the mall would be filled with 13-17 year olds.  We’d spend the evening kicking them off the mattresses!  I’d kill my kid.  Of course I’d never let them hang at the mall anyway.

@PoochI'm sorry that sounds like a miserable job.. dealing with other people's teens!! That's why I could never be a teacher. I have many wonderful, patient friends that are teachers, and I'm so thankful for them (so I don't have to do it 🤣). Did you happen to catch the teen that climbed the game palm tree to the top?! 🤦🏻‍♀️ I'm so proud that my boys that they don't want to a part of group that would act like that! Even my 13yo said "seeing these kids act like this makes me really glad you're our parents!" 🤣 And that kid does not give out compliments easily. ❤️

37 minutes ago, Pooch said:

Yup I saw them too.  Just like the local mall, I don’t understand dropping your kid off & letting them run amok.  I used to be a manager at a large department store and on Friday night, the mall would be filled with 13-17 year olds.  We’d spend the evening kicking them off the mattresses!  I’d kill my kid.  Of course I’d never let them hang at the mall anyway.

Most mall employees are 16 and 17 - These are juniors and seniors in HS and have drivers licenses.  Did you hang out all the time at home when you were in HS?

1 hour ago, MamaG said:

We were on Harmony a few weeks ago. My teens were 13 & 15. There were no rules for the over 13 group. They could come and go whenever (and wherever, it seemed), and join in on events or not. My teens didn't care for the "obnoxious" (their word) teens on the ship so they didn't spend any time in the teen areas. When we walked around late at night the teens we encountered were running around, screaming profanities at each other and I swear they were trying to break whatever they could get their hands on. I think RCL needs to have a little more for them to do, or at least keep an eye on them when there isn't much to do. All the teens I saw were ridiculous!! I assume their parents were in shows or clubs and so they felt they were free to do whatever they wanted. It was off putting. 

You have posted this in multiple threads and while I am sure that you saw what you saw, I think you are putting the bad behavior of a few on the many teens that were not behaving the way you are describing.  I am also 100% certain that the ships have EXTREMELY good camera coverage of the ship and that if teens were breaking things, they would be dealt with by security.

Since many 1st time cruisers are reading this, In my experience, your description of the teen program (which by your own admission, your teens did not participate in) is not typical.  I cruised a few weeks back during spring break with my teenager and did not see anything like you are describing from any teen.  I also cruised last Thanksgiving and also did not experience any of what you are describing.  I'm not saying it didn't happen, there are always kids that will misbehave - but you are condemning the whole program.  Every parent is different, if you aren't comfortable with your kids being unsupervised, then its not for your family.  But lets not act like it is outrageous for HS aged kids to be given a little freedom while their parents are attending a show.

The kids at the mall were young and I don’t care how old you are, practically having sex on a department store mattress is not acceptable behavior.  I worked as a manager for 25 years.  It happened constantly, every Friday.  It was not infrequent or random.

As for my misspent youth, we hung out at the local McDonalds, smoking pot and getting the munchies!  Good respectable stuff.  We were too high to cause trouble 😄😄

@PoochYes, respectable stuff! 🤣 I got into lots of trouble as a teen, but I was rarely a nuisance to others.. usually just myself and my mom. 😝

I'm not saying my experience is the case with every cruise.. I'm just putting my experience out there for others to do with what they want.

@wordell1 Yes, I have shared this information a few times, even with RCL, if you're wondering. I just know this is something I would have liked to have known before embarkation. 

I was under the impression that this group was to share information with each other so you know what to expect. I do know my cruise isn't the only one with very few choices to keep teens entertained in the evening. Bored teenagers do even stupider stuff than they would normally do. That's all I'm saying. 

Several years ago, my Mom turned 80 & wanted to bring us all on a family cruise -- age ranges of the grand kids was 24 (DD - disabled, so hung out with me & DH for the most part), 17 (nephew), almost 17 (other DD) & 14 (other nephew). My almost 17yo went to some of the teen activities, & made some friends to hang with, and as long as she touched base with us, & we knew where she was (and where we could find her if necessary) we let her go,  but my 2 nephews weren't interested, & mainly hung out with each other.  All depends on the teen & the group on the ship.