Oasis Debarkation/Timing Question

nandjas

Hi there, helpful veteran cruisers!

We are sailing RCL for the first time in a few months and will be on the Oasis from Port Canaveral.  I've got a question about debarkation...we know that we do not want to carry our luggage off ourselves...with the kids and our carry ons, it would be too much.  Our return flight home leaves MCO at 1:55, so we don't have to rush off the ship.  We have a town car lined up for transportation mack to MCO, but how do we know what time to meet them?  I have read in the compass that they assign you a number and then you leave when your number is called...can we select a time?  If our town car is to arrive at 10, how can we assure that we are off the ship and through customs?  Is there even anything open to do on the ship that morning, other than finding a lounge chair?  I assume they will want people out of their staterooms early.  Any experienced advice would be very welcomed.  Thanks so much!

First of all, let me recommend (if you aren't already planning to do so) that you use the Luggage Valet service on board Oasis.  It is one of the most awesome services that RCI offers !!  It will cost you $25 PP (plus any baggage fees that the airline would charge) but the ship will take your bags the last night of the cruise and you will not see them again until you arrive at your home airport !  Royal will deliver your boarding passes and luggage receipts to you the night before you disembark.  Not sure what airline you are flying....so you have to make sure that your airline is a participant in the program, but if it's one of the "biggies" it most likely is.  This service used to be offered in many ports but is limited to the big ships lately, it seems.

The disembark "number" assigned to you by the ship is based upon the debarkation information that you provide in your cruise profile online (online check-in).  So, the earlier your flight, the lower your number will be.  They work hard to make sure that they get you off the ship in plenty of time to make your flight.  If, however, you get your disembarkation number and you are worried that your number is too high and that you won't make your car rental reservation, just go to Guest Services and tell them that you need a number that will allow you to be off the ship by 10AM.  They are very good about helping you make your schedule...plus they WANT you off the ship as soon as possible, so they will give you a new, lower, number, if you need it.

Since your flight is later, that's good.  Essentially, you will be given a disembarkation number to affix to your luggage and that number corresponds to a rough estimate of what time your luggage will be ready for pick up at the port, which means you can disembark.  You can however, request a different number if need be from Guest Relations.

You may find this podcast episode helpful about disembarkation day in general: http://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/podcast/episode-175-disembarkation-day

I've been wondering about this too.  Our flight isn't until 4:40 pm so we don't have to be one of the first off; however, I think I would rather get off early so that we can get our rental done and have a few hours to do something else.  My son-n-law didn't want to get off too early as the "older" grandkids wouldn't like getting up so early, but we have to be out of our cabin early so I say ... Let's go on and get off instead of just sitting around waiting. 

Thanks for the help everyone!  So, if we take our time getting off the ship...then what is open to do?  We will obviously need to vacate our rooms ASAP, and will venture out and take our time to eat breakfast, but then is anything else open, or just find a lounge chair?  Maybe it's just as easy to sit in the airport?

Thanks for the help everyone!  So, if we take our time getting off the ship...then what is open to do?  We will obviously need to vacate our rooms ASAP, and will venture out and take our time to eat breakfast, but then is anything else open, or just find a lounge chair?  Maybe it's just as easy to sit in the airport?

Select restaurants and bars will be open. Disembarkation day is mostly about enjoying some time onboard in the form of sitting and relaxing. The advantage of staying onboard instead of going to the airport is your food/drink is still included onboard, and arguably more relaxing on the ship.

The absolute latest they want you out of your room is 9. MCO has a fair amount of shopping and a small food court prior to security. You don't really have enough time to do anything local like NASA though (the lady who is leaving around 4 may want to consider this)

Agree with the luggage valet. Worth every penny. We were seriously disappointed when Anthem didn't have that. The lines for checking bags at MCO can be ferocious at times.