Room Service Coffee

We're going on our sixth RC cruise in June, and have never ordered room service. We're thinking that we might start ordering the complimentary coffee each morning. At the risk of asking what may seem like a dumb question, does the coffee usually come in a thermal carafe with enough for several cups?

Yes, the carafe holds 3-4 cups. Be sure to ask for any cream/sugar stuff you may need.  I’ve found breakfast room service to be something of a mystery.  I cannot get the hang of how to order the quantities I want.  First I checked off each item our family of 4 wanted (ie I want pancakes, hubby an omelette, daughter a bagel,). Got 4 of every item 😳.  Then I tried checking off the items with the desired quantity (coffee for 2, 4 orders of bacon).  That didn’t work either.  Since I ordered 2 juices (for hubby & son) and 2 coffees (for daughter & me), I must only be ordering breakfast for 2 despite listing specific quantities AND 4 passengers on the form so that’s what they sent.  I gave up after that & went WJ & got stuff for everyone.  

1 hour ago, Pooch said:

Yes, the carafe holds 3-4 cups. Be sure to ask for any cream/sugar stuff you may need.  I’ve found breakfast room service to be something of a mystery.  I cannot get the hang of how to order the quantities I want.  First I checked off each item our family of 4 wanted (ie I want pancakes, hubby an omelette, daughter a bagel,). Got 4 of every item 😳.  Then I tried checking off the items with the desired quantity (coffee for 2, 4 orders of bacon).  That didn’t work either.  Since I ordered 2 juices (for hubby & son) and 2 coffees (for daughter & me), I must only be ordering breakfast for 2 despite listing specific quantities AND 4 passengers on the form so that’s what they sent.  I gave up after that & went WJ & got stuff for everyone.  

We had that problem as well.  The first time we had enough food show up for 4 people (I ordered 2 omlettes and got 4) etc - the next time we didn't get enough food.  Room service for breakfast is a total mystery to me.

3 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

We had that problem as well.  The first time we had enough food show up for 4 people (I ordered 2 omlettes and got 4) etc - the next time we didn't get enough food.  Room service for breakfast is a total mystery to me.

We had the same issue!  Figured it out after the first time.  We love having "breakfast before breakfast"!

I have had this issue as a solo and a group. I put 1 person on the form but got too much of things I requested a little of and not enough of the things I requested in quantity. When I sailed with my family, we only got 8pcs of bacon, when it was 5 people in the room, and we requested 4pc each. But somehow we got a bunch of toast even though we requested 1. 

12 hours ago, Pooch said:

And what is the trick?

Hey Pooch!  We noticed if we ordered 2 of the danish assortment, we would get 2 plates worth with enough to feed 4.  So we scaled back and would only order one of an item.  That seemed to work.  When we ordered coffee the first time, we ordered 2, thinking we would get 2 cups of coffee.  We ended up getting 2 carafes full of coffee.

Yeah and that did not work for us.  I wanted 2 carafes as I’ll drink one myself and had to ask the delivery person for more.  Luckily he had extra on the cart. I ordered 4 orders of bacon and 2 omelettes and got 2 pieces of bacon each on the omelette plates.  Just no rhyme or reason.

The room service breakfast you order? That's just the pre-game meal for the big breakfast throw down in the MDR an hour or two later.  Just make sure you tip the poor assistant waiter a few dollars for getting the short straw and having the awkward problem of bringing the tray of goodies into your cabin. They deserve it.

One thing Royal Caribbean can not do is make a consistent cup of coffee. Sometimes it can be light as air, but mostly it can taste very strong. I call it ashtray coffee.

My advice is do not get hung up on the room service food quality, quantities, or especially the taste of the coffee. Just make damn sure you are grateful for the service. If you keep your critical culinary thoughts to inside the restaurants; you'll have a better vacation. 

I have no problem with the quality of room service food and always tip the delivery person.  My problem is ordering the correct quantities.  If I could get it right, I don’t need a second, sit down breakfast after.  I already eat too much on the cruise to add second breakfast!

My husband is worried about the coffee - he's only been on one cruise (a different line) and the coffee was awful. We've ordered the beverage package - could he get a specialty coffee with room service as a part of the package?? (We are definitely first and second breakfast types of folks!!) 🙂 

1 hour ago, ChristyBey said:

My husband is worried about the coffee - he's only been on one cruise (a different line) and the coffee was awful. We've ordered the beverage package - could he get a specialty coffee with room service as a part of the package?? (We are definitely first and second breakfast types of folks!!) 🙂 

You cannot use any sort of beverage package with room service, they will charge you full price. Now if you are star class you can have whatever delivered. 

You can order coffee at anytime.  It does come in carafe.  But they have 2 sizes of carafes.  I was just on Oasis.   Be sure to order for more than one serving to get larger carafe if you want it for 2 or a second cup. The larger carafe also seems to stay hotter longer.

On 3/26/2022 at 2:01 PM, Pooch said:

This comment just made me think of something, and I don't want to start a whole new threat to ask....

does anyone know what sweeteners are generally available on board? We prefer to use Splenda, and am just now wondering if I should bring some with us.

9 minutes ago, silenttuba said:

This comment just made me think of something, and I don't want to start a whole new threat to ask....

does anyone know what sweeteners are generally available on board? We prefer to use Splenda, and am just now wondering if I should bring some with us.

I have seen Splenda, equal, sweet and low and one other one.......beside regular sugar. It might have been stevia. 

On 3/28/2022 at 2:25 PM, TracyRevell said:

I really don't like the complimentary coffee, I find it really bland. 

I've had mixed reviews on coffee and it depends on the ship and I guess who makes it. A bunch of us on Harmony all had different takes in the coffee, some hated, some loved. Anthem was good but I had the coffee card so I wound up usually getting the specialty coffee. My experience is it's dirt water or good. 

On 3/26/2022 at 2:21 PM, SpeedNoodles said:

So is the breakfast complementary or do you have to pay for it? I have seen two different answers

2 hours ago, sunset1031 said:

Can you order your breakfast the night before with a specific delivery time, or you need to order it in that morning? Thx.

You order it the night before.  Most people use the door hangars and just leave it hanging on the door (the time it needs to be out is printed on them, I don't recall what time it is, but it's reasonable).

I note that the suites have an expresso coffee maker.  My sweetie and I like strong coffee (neither of us need additives).  Is that good enough for the coffee issue in the morning (to get us going)?   Can we ask for additional things for the expresso maker?  (I appreciate any info).

27 minutes ago, Eaglelover said:

I note that the suites have an expresso coffee maker.  My sweetie and I like strong coffee (neither of us need additives).  Is that good enough for the coffee issue in the morning (to get us going)?   Can we ask for additional things for the expresso maker?  (I appreciate any info).

In a suite right now on Enchantment and this is what we have:

4FBDCF88-D735-4E70-B5AF-B24F09AF22AE.jpeg.a7d4d3995a7d22f155891cb6fb81f22a.jpeg

the pods get refilled each day

16 hours ago, Eaglelover said:

I think the pods are strong enough. I love that machine. The card in the room seems to indicate additional pods come at a cost but they've always been refilled for us at no charge.

We just came off odyssey in a JS. The coffe maker has both decafs and caffeine coffee. I really didn’t care for the coffee, so we ordered room service and had a full pot every morning with fruit and pastries. On card there are times when you want it to arrive in 30 minute increments. But to give you a heads up, they were always early and they call about 20 min before it arrives. But still well worth it for the $2 each time for tip.

A word of caution about the new coffee machines. We didnt notice on Allure a couple of weeks back, but we didnt get larger cups, just the demitasse size for espresso.

While thats usually fine for espresso size, if you hit the full cup version, get ready to fun and games....  That stuff goes everywhere lol