New cruiser question😊

FrHoffard

First cruise is booked for October 2022 on Navigator out of LA.  1st port is Catalina which is a tender port.  How does that work...everyone getting off just lines up?  Our 1st excursion is scheduled for 11:30 am.  Any tips or advice would be appreciated!  Thank you

39 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

If you booked an excursion through Royal you usually will get priority tendering where you meet as a group and they walk you off the ship..or you are given priority tickets for the tender to bypass any lines.

Thanks!  I did book our excursions through Royal for both ports, just wasn't sure what the process would be.

• 6 months later...
On 3/25/2022 at 8:56 PM, FrHoffard said:

First cruise is booked for October 2022 on Navigator out of LA.

Searching through threads just now, I came across your post. We're on Navigator next month too! 

Tender means a small boat will take you off the ship to the pier. Easy peasy. I thought that I read somewhere that you have to get tender tickets somewhere (Star Lounge?) to get on the tender, but I'm assuming that's just for people without shore excursion priority. Maybe I read wrong and someone can correct me if so.

19 hours ago, Cactus527 said:

Searching through threads just now, I came across your post. We're on Navigator next month too! 

Tender means a small boat will take you off the ship to the pier. Easy peasy. I thought that I read somewhere that you have to get tender tickets somewhere (Star Lounge?) to get on the tender, but I'm assuming that's just for people without shore excursion priority. Maybe I read wrong and someone can correct me if so.

In our tender port we lined up for tender tickets (numbered). They then called out the numbers with instructions (like numbers 3 and 4, go to floor 1). Confusingly, different languages gave different instructions. 

On Liberty we had a tender port. Our room steward asked us if we had our tickets yet and explained we had to go to the Star Lounge to pick them up during a certain time. I wished I had gone earlier because we ended up waiting over an hour for our number to be called. Make sure you are in a public area so you can hear the announcements on the speakers when they call your number.

Tender ports can be challenging for folks that like to book excursions with outside companies.  If you want to maximize your time in the port I have 3 recommendations.

1. Book a RC excursion

2. Be in a suite - you get tender priority

3. purchase The Key - you get tender priority.