Symphony of the Seas, Hairspray show?

Mahrc

My group of 10 are booked on Symphony of the Seas for the first time in May.  I looked at a February Cruise Compass and did not see Hairspray show on that sailing.  Does anyone know if Hairspray no longer on Symphony or just temporarily not showing? If temporarily suspended, any idea when it will return, we were really looking forward to seeing it. 

😐

Thanks, Mary.

19 minutes ago, Mahrc said:

My group of 10 are booked on Symphony of the Seas for the first time in May.  I looked at a February Cruise Compass and did not see Hairspray show on that sailing.  Does anyone know if Hairspray no longer on Symphony or just temporarily not showing? If temporarily suspended, any idea when it will return, we were really looking forward to seeing it. 

😐

Thanks, Mary.

It appears that Covid has been the culprit with Hairspray - a post over on the RC blog from someone currently onboard said “The cruise director said in a Q&A they are had to restart from scratch after COVID from production to performers etc. Those who own the rights to Hairspray have to give their approval on every aspect of the show before they can perform the show. They have all the performers and are rehearsing but are waiting for approval and they don't have a time frame of when they will get approval. The cruise director said it is a difficult and long process to get approved. ” I had a suspicion Ken might be right, than man lives and breathes RCCL and was onboard these last 2 weeks. This seems to explain why the loss of a number of members would be an issue (Ken said new people had to be hired and to get up to speed).

Found this from last week on another blog.

Just came home from Symphony 19-26th.  Had an opportunity to attend the Diamond, D+, and pinnacle entertainment talk.  The dance captain told us that Hairspray cast is currently rehearsing in Miami.  He said the new cast is about ~1 month into a ~2 month rehearsal.  Both the dance captain and Dennis Charles (CD) stated that it could be back onboard within the next couple months.

Based on that feedback, April is very unlikely, but May is not out of the question.

On 3/25/2022 at 3:27 PM, YouthD said:

Found this from last week on another blog.

Ummm… that post was written by me on CC - my TA Ken was onboard at the time and let me know the back story since I asked the status. It could change by the time I board on the 16th, I guess time will tell.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/26/2022 at 6:43 PM, AlohaLivin said:

Ummm… that post was written by me on CC - my TA Ken was onboard at the time and let me know the back story since I asked the status. It could change by the time I board on the 16th, I guess time will tell.

Please keep us posted if it's on your sailing this weekend. I'm on Symphony on April 30 and will be so upset if it's not on! Fingers crossed! Thanks!

38 minutes ago, mapleleafmonkey said:

Please keep us posted if it's on your sailing this weekend. I'm on Symphony on April 30 and will be so upset if it's not on! Fingers crossed! Thanks!

I will do my best to remember. If I don’t, feel free to PM me or post a reminder 👍🏼  I will say that the concierge emailed the entertainment schedule and it is not on there (but that doesn’t mean it is impossible for it to be added back).

9 minutes ago, DanielB said:

Spoke to some of the current hairspray cast and their contract is until June so they do not anticipate the show restarting much before that date as the new cast will come onboard toward the end of their contract.  

So there are Hairspray cast on board now who are not even doing the show ?

19 minutes ago, YouthD said:

Guess Hairspray isn't a priority for Royal...

They have a new cast in rehearsals, this cast was to go until June.  I’m sorry but I disagree with you as they are doing the best they can and more than likely the next cast had signed contracts in place before they lost so many cast from the current show.  Entertainment cast is not just plug and play and it doesn’t happen overnight.  

• 4 months later...