Any specific reason for the lack of Cococay visits from Galveston?

Jzx1103

Not sure if this was discussed before,  but we love Cococay but hates having to fly to Florida all the time just to get onto ships to visit Cococay. I'm still confused as to why Royal rarely visit Cococay from Galveston sailings. It doesn't seem to be a distance issue as Carnival had itineraries to Nassau Bahamas and Key West from Galveston often on 7 night itineraries previouly. In fact I never understood why itineraries from Galveston are so limited in general. Its also just as doable to places like Panama Canal from Galveston vs from Ft Lauderdale. 

9 minutes ago, Matt said:

It's geography.

Too far and Mexico is too close to Galveston

Its not Geography, as I stated in my post Carnival had regular 7 day itineraries to Nassau, Key West, and Jamaica from Galveston (prior to KW shutting down). Royal could easily do Nassau, Cococay, Jamaica or Grand Cayman in one 7 day itinerary from Galveston. I can't tell you how often I've heard complaints down here from frequent cruisers about how Royal needs to broaden their itineraries from Galveston as Cozumel and Costa Maya is starting to get tiring.

In fact after just checking now, Carnival Dream currently sails to their private island Half Moon Cay from Galveston every other week. Which is near Cococay. Its an 8 nighter but they also stop at freeport, Nassau, and Key West as well. Royal can skip Freeport and make it a 7 nighter easily. So Geography is definitely not an excuse. 

10 minutes ago, Jzx1103 said:

Its not Geography, as I stated in my post Carnival had regular 7 day itineraries to Nassau, Key West, and Jamaica from Galveston (prior to KW shutting down). Royal could easily do Nassau, Cococay, Jamaica or Grand Cayman in one 7 day itinerary from Galveston. I can't tell you how often I've heard complaints down here from frequent cruisers about how Royal needs to broaden their itineraries from Galveston as Cozumel and Costa Maya is starting to get tiring.

I can't even guess as to why they don't go to CoCocay.  But, I do agree with you, far too many itineraries, including Carnival, have Cozumel.  I can't count how many times I've/we've visited Cozumel and, to be honest, I'm tired of it.  We now make sure that our Caribbean cruises don't include Coz.  Not that there is anything wrong with the place, just that we've been there, done that, often.  As COVID eases, I'm hoping that cruise lines, especially Royal because that's my cruise line of choice, starts going to the more unvisited island countries.  I'd like to take an X day cruise just to get to one (1) Port of Call that takes 4 days to get there and 4 days to get back.  I don't care if it goes directly east of Florida or south.  

1 hour ago, Jzx1103 said:

In fact after just checking now, Carnival Dream currently sails to their private island Half Moon Cay from Galveston every other week. Which is near Cococay. Its an 8 nighter but they also stop at freeport, Nassau, and Key West as well. Royal can skip Freeport and make it a 7 nighter easily. So Geography is definitely not an excuse. 

Geography is part of the answer.  Another part is the number of ships already docking at Cococay (1-2 every day I believe).  Another part would be sales numbers.  We obviously don't see those numbers but you can bet Royal analyzes them.  If the rare Galveston to Cococay cruise sells faster than other Galveston cruises, that would indicate the demand is higher than expected and they should sail it more.  But if those cruises sell slower than other Galveston cruises (or worse they need to offer better sales to fill the ship), than they are meeting the demand shown by their customers.

22 minutes ago, Atlantix2000 said:

Geography is part of the answer.  Another part is the number of ships already docking at Cococay (1-2 every day I believe).  Another part would be sales numbers.  We obviously don't see those numbers but you can bet Royal analyzes them.  If the rare Galveston to Cococay cruise sells faster than other Galveston cruises, that would indicate the demand is higher than expected and they should sail it more.  But if those cruises sell slower than other Galveston cruises (or worse they need to offer better sales to fill the ship), than they are meeting the demand shown by their customers.

The 1 to 2 ships already docked at Cococay is the only legit reason I see here, even then. I'm sure Royal can allow 1 ship a week or even every 2 weeks outta Galveston to dock there. The sale number argument dont make sense since Royal never actually attempted to sell a normal Cococay itinerary out of Galveston thus far. The only sailing to Cococay from Galveston thus far has been repositioning cruises.

Fruit for thought -

Would you want more than one or two ships, especially if they are Oasis Class ships, docked/anchored at Cococay at a time.  I think it would be a little over crowded and long lines would form at the eating and rides venues.  Just my opinion.  If, in the future, Royal expanded the size of their pier there, but not the size of the island/amenities, and it turned into a hurry-up and wait situation, I think I'd be a little disappointed.

JMHO

7 minutes ago, Jzx1103 said:

The 1 to 2 ships already docked at Cococay is the only legit reason I see here, even then. I'm sure Royal can allow 1 ship a week or even every 2 weeks outta Galveston to dock there. The sale number argument dont make sense since Royal never actually attempted to sell a normal Cococay itinerary out of Galveston thus far. The only sailing to Cococay from Galveston thus far has been repositioning cruises.

This... Since the re-design of Cococay, there hasn't been an itinerary out of Galveston that included it. Therefore, there is no data to prove how it would sell. The number of ships at any given time/scheduling of ships is the only reason I see as justification. I have a feeling there are many of us that sail out of Galveston who would jump at the chance to go to Cococay. There are a few Radiance sailings that include Cococay, but those are times in which I can sail aka they are during school. Radiance data can't be used either because the majority of people with school aged children are not going to sail when Radiance is sailing out of Galveston (Spring '23). 

6 minutes ago, jay1021 said:

Fruit for thought -

Would you want more than one or two ships, especially if they are Oasis Class ships, docked/anchored at Cococay at a time.  I think it would be a little over crowded and long lines would form at the eating and rides venues.  Just my opinion.  If, in the future, Royal expanded the size of their pier there, but not the size of the island/amenities, and it turned into a hurry-up and wait situation, I think I'd be a little disappointed.

JMHO

They are currently in the process of expanding the island/amenities with the addition of hideaway beach (the adults only area). This would allow for more people to be on the island in the event two oasis class ships were there at the same time. 

6 minutes ago, kadmgs said:

They are currently in the process of expanding the island/amenities with the addition of hideaway beach (the adults only area). This would allow for more people to be on the island in the event two oasis class ships were there at the same time. 

Yes, I know.  But, would that alleviate the the crowds at the rides, main pool, snack bars for example? 

Theoretically, yes it would because people would choose to use the adults-only pool or food option rather than the current options. I for one would fit this description. I prefer the more laid back, quite areas of the island, but that's not possible right now if I want to go to the pool unless I pay for the beach club. Hideaway beach will be free, so it would give me an option rather than going to the oasis pool. 

I do think it is a geography issue.  Royal from Galveston historically visits the Western Caribbean.  Yes, I know there are exceptions.  Cococay is a fluff port, and to drastically extend the cruise distance to add Cococay to a Western Caribbean cruise makes little sense to me.

I've visited Cococay.  We have no small kids, so I don't expect to go there again, other than it will likely be a filler for other cruises leaving Florida, similar to Labadee.  If I had reason to go back, I would expect it to be from Florida, where Cococay is already in the neighborhood.  It's an easy stop without adding a lot of miles to the cruise.

1 hour ago, kadmgs said:

Theoretically, yes it would because people would choose to use the adults-only pool or food option rather than the current options. I for one would fit this description. I prefer the more laid back, quite areas of the island, but that's not possible right now if I want to go to the pool unless I pay for the beach club. Hideaway beach will be free, so it would give me an option rather than going to the oasis pool. 

I hope you are right!

6 hours ago, Jzx1103 said:

Let me re-state my message.

It's cheaper to go to Mexico than it it is to Bahamas in terms of fuel. That's what I meant by geography.

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Let me re-state my message.

It's cheaper to go to Mexico than it it is to Bahamas in terms of fuel. That's what I meant by geography.

Well yea sure, but if thats Royal's mindset then they might as well never do western caribbean to Roatan or Belize, or Costa Maya from Florida lol. So thats not really a good reason. They're literally willing to go anywhere from Florida. I can tell you that I personally know multiple folks here who sailed with Carnival outta TX or do some other type of vacation altogether despite loving Royal Carribbean more due to being sick and tired of visiting Cozumel and Costa Maya over and over. Flying to Florida to get on a cruise can be expensive. I don't think Royal is doing themselves any favors by limiting to only Western Caribbean from Galveston . Its literally the most common complaint I've heard here for Galveston sailings, so they probably shouldn't ignore this. They're gonna be getting more competition too now that Norwegian is also bringing their newest ship to Galveston. 

18 minutes ago, GatorCruiser said:

Was at cococay today on symphony and odyssey was in port as well supposedly at 100% capacity. However, it didn’t seemed super packed at all especially at south beach was a Good vibe despite two large ships being there. 

Yup we were there too with Symphony and Odyssey in port, didn't seem super packed either with the exception of Oasis pool bar.

8 hours ago, kadmgs said:

Just curious, I'd like to know where you found that the new beach area, that won't be ready till 2023 sometime, according to Matt, March 17, royalcaribbeanblog.com, no further information, will have it's own adults-only pool or food options.  No this isn't a challenge, I seriously would like to see the article/fact sheet.  I hate lines and needless hurry-up and wait situations.  I very rarely will wait at a restaurant if there is a long, 30 minutes or more, line to get in.  Yes, I know that lines indicate that it's a good place to eat. 

I, once again, want to make sure you understand that I'm not challenging you are looking for an argument.  I just like to SEE things.  

Matt's article is here:

hideaway beach article.jpg

27 minutes ago, jay1021 said:

Just curious, I'd like to know where you found that the new beach area, that won't be ready till 2023 sometime, according to Matt, March 17, royalcaribbeanblog.com, no further information, will have it's own adults-only pool or food options.

The food thing is an assumption, but likely when you consider the number of food options currently with a current capacity of 10-12,000 with Hideaway slated to increase capacity by 3,000. I haven't seen anything official with respect to a pool though.

On 3/25/2022 at 9:29 PM, jay1021 said:

Just curious, I'd like to know where you found that the new beach area, 

As Ashley said, an additional food option is an assumption. I would expect them to increase food options with another snack shack location or the like due to increased capacity. I thought I read the area would include a pool, but I may be confusing it with something else. Regardless, it would still give a more quiet location without kids and increase capacity of the island. 

2 hours ago, kadmgs said:

As Ashley said, an additional food option is an assumption. I would expect them to increase food options with another snack shack location or the like due to increased capacity. I thought I read the area would include a pool, but I may be confusing it with something else. Regardless, it would still give a more quite location without kids and increase capacity of the island. 

I appreciate your candor.  I think we all can only assume, guess, whatever until they, Royal, actually publishes it's detail plans or until the first guest is allowed into the area.  As I've stated earlier, I don't think this beach will have as much of an impact as anticipated.  Families will still flock to the waterpark, the very popular snack bars and the most popular attractions/locations on the island.  I can only imagine what the island will look like, during a time when kids aren't in school, when two Oasis Class ships or One Oasis Class and one Quantum Class ship are at the island on the same day.  That's potentially, in the neighborhood of close to 13,000 people on the island.   

But, again, thanks for your candor.

On 3/25/2022 at 11:17 AM, Jzx1103 said:

On 3/25/2022 at 11:25 AM, kadmgs said:

This... Since the re-design of Cococay, there hasn't been an itinerary out of Galveston that included it. Therefore, there is no data to prove how it would sell. The number of ships at any given time/scheduling of ships is the only reason I see as justification. I have a feeling there are many of us that sail out of Galveston who would jump at the chance to go to Cococay. There are a few Radiance sailings that include Cococay, but those are times in which I can sail aka they are during school. Radiance data can't be used either because the majority of people with school aged children are not going to sail when Radiance is sailing out of Galveston (Spring '23). 

In 2019 there were semi regular sailings out of Galveston for Coco Cay for several months 

6 minutes ago, TXcruzer said:

That sounds familiar, yes 

They only lasted a few months, 

Now that you said that, I think I remember seeing them. Those sailings conflicted with my school schedule if I remember correctly. That or we didn't want to sail on Enchantment. We aren't fans of small ships. 

Matt's assessment of fuel costs makes the most sense.