Military Discounts

My parents will be going on the Wonder of the Seas on October 22, 2023. My dad was in the Army for 12 years and was honorably discharged. I called Royal to find out how my dad could get the military discount. We were told that the military discount was not offered on that sailing. Has anyone else came across this issue? Personally, I would think that Police, EMT, and Military discounts would be available for all sailings. Unfortunately, I am at a point where it is hard for me to believe any information that I receive from  the Royal customer service reps. I find that I have to call and be on hold for so long and get conflicting information.

Both my husband and I are retired military and the military discount has been hit and miss for us. We have gone on eight cruises with Royal and have only received a military discount twice.  We have had better luck getting Florida resident discounts. The only advice I can offer is to keep checking for price drops and discounts. Good luck and thank your dad for his service. 

We’ve gotten it on our last 2 cruises and the one coming up in October.  BUT, I had to keep checking for it.  Sometimes it was there, sometimes not, with varying amounts available on the same cruise.  Snagged  one at $600 off.  The following week, same cruise, it was only $200. 

Princess’s program is much better for military, imo. One form and automatic OBC for every cruise.

I do find with Royal that this is an area where using a TA comes in handy. I know she checks for all available discounts, and figures out the most cost-saving combination. Sometimes you could possibly get a military discount for instance, but it could not be combined with say a C&A balcony discount and one would be worth more. I don’t worry about the details because I know my TA is on it. 

7 hours ago, PineappleT said:

My parents will be going on the Wonder of the Seas on October 22, 2023. My dad was in the Army for 12 years and was honorably discharged. I called Royal to find out how my dad could get the military discount. We were told that the military discount was not offered on that sailing. Has anyone else came across this issue? Personally, I would think that Police, EMT, and Military discounts would be available for all sailings. Unfortunately, I am at a point where it is hard for me to believe any information that I receive from  the Royal customer service reps. I find that I have to call and be on hold for so long and get conflicting information.

I'm retired active U.S. Army.  When you search for a cruise, cabin, and so on, it will ask what state you come from, if you are a Crown & Anchor member, and Military.  As far as I can tell, when you get the quote for your selections, it automatically give you whatever discounts are available, if any.  I don't think that they will stack discounts, give more than one discount at a time.  But, they are very dynamic with their pricing, sales, and discounts.  So, who really knows. 🥵  In the rest of my life, I don't go with the flow, I ask a lot of questions and demand the truth.  But, with cruise companies, it's impossible to feel confident that you are getting the straight poop from them.  So, I love cruising and I try to do the best I can to make sure I get what is offered, go with the flow.  I hate that part but, like I said, I love cruising.  

DH is retired military, so is my sister, and it is very rare we find a military discount on RCCL (10% of the time, maybe). There’s some amazing companies that always give a discount… Lowes (Home Depot too, but not if the items on sales so it’s a little iffy), Old Navy, Disney (ahmaaazing discounts, if you need more information just ask because this is something you shouldn’t miss), Kohl’s, Sam’s Club, and others… but not usually our beloved RCCL.

On 3/24/2022 at 8:11 PM, jay1021 said:

I've never been asked for verification of my military service.

I'm retired military as well and when I've been fortunate to get the military discount, have not had to provide verification, but do carry it with me. Would advise to keep checking the RC website to see if it's offered. Sometimes, closer to sail date, it is. 

3 hours ago, 14Terry said:

I'm retired military as well and when I've been fortunate to get the military discount, have not had to provide verification, but do carry it with me. Would advise to keep checking the RC website to see if it's offered. Sometimes, closer to sail date, it is. 

I do carry my military ID (retired) everywhere.  So, I'm ready.  I like how you state, "I've been fortunate to get military discount".  Far too many of our brothers and sisters feel entitled to a military discount.  I thank those that do give one and move on at those businesses that don't.  

Thanks for your service.

Mission first, troops always!

6 hours ago, WAYNO said:

And I never knew Military/Veterans discounts even existed. Maybe I'll ask next time.🇺🇸

They exist everywhere.  For example:

Old Navy, DSW, Lowes, etc.

American express will reimburse your annual fee for a platinum credit card....that means when you fly you get to enjoy private lounges in the airport with food, beverages Nd comfy chairs for free. 

AS FOR CRUISING...

We have never used our military ID (21 yrs AD and now retired). 

We always use a TA.  ..... They put in our state, age, military, and even specific credit cards we would use for discounts.  

Many times you can't combine, hence use a TA if you want to save time

1 hour ago, Pima1988 said:

American express will reimburse your annual fee for a platinum credit card....that means when you fly you get to enjoy private lounges in the airport with food, beverages Nd comfy chairs for free. 

The benefits can definitely save a bit of money at times 🙂 But to my knowledge the fee waiver for the Amex and Chase cards is for active duty only (but not retirees nor non-retired veterans), is that correct? I would be thrilled if they did since we have both cards, but to my knowledge this is solely for active duty.

https://militarymoneymanual.com/american-express-waives-all-card-holder-fees-for-active-duty-military/

Amex Platinum Military 2022 | $695 Fee Waived for Active Duty

January 21, 2022 by Spencer

Get a $695 credit card annual fee waived in my Ultimate Military Credit Cards Course
The Platinum Card® from American Express card is annual fee waived for military. Terms apply.

Military Money Manual has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Military Money Manual and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities. Thank you for supporting my independent, veteran owned site.

The Platinum Card® from American Express military policy waives the $695 per year annual fee on the Amex Platinum card for active duty servicemembers and military spouses.

The American Express Platinum military fee waiver removes the annual fees to comply with the Military Lending Act (MLA) and Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA).

If you are in the military on active duty orders, you are eligible to enroll in the American Express Platinum Military Lending Act benefits. As long as you are in the DoD MLA database, then you should have automatic MLA benefits applied to your Amex Platinum account when you apply through the links below.

If you are a military spouse married to an active duty US servicemember, you are also eligible to have your account enrolled in Amex Military Lending Act benefits and pay no annual fees. Again, you just need to check that you eligible for MLA benefits in