Accepted covid tests when travelling from UK/Ireland

DJH_89

Hi, i am due to travel on Allure for my honeymoon on 14th May from Florida. Can anyone give info on what UK/Ireland based tests are accepted by RC prior to sailing?

We arrive in Florida late in the evening on 13th May so i don't think getting a test there is an option. 

Thanks in advance 

@DJH_89 Welcome to the blogs, and congratulations! 

I would use this resource to determine the test. All of the tests allowed by the CDC for entry to the US should be allowed by RC. I looks like based on your travel dates, that the test you take to board your flight will be within the window for your cruise as well. 

Click the link, scroll down and expand the "what types of tests are acceptable"

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html#general

I would print out that information, and find a location that provides a "rapid test" and ask them if the test meets these requirements. Many US based pharmacies etc offer rapid based tests with results in as soon as 15 minutes that meet the requirements. I wouldn't be surprised that you can find a similar test in the UK prior to departure.

Congratulations!

We used Expresstest at Heathrow airport. This was accepted by both the US for entry and Royal Caribbean for boarding. The testing was carried out for us in Terminal 5 but there is also a drive through facility in the airport complex. The cost was £35 per person for antigen tests, which isn't too bad. Be aware, though, that the test has to be carried out in the 2 days prior to boarding. Also, allow extra time at the airport to obtain the test results - 40 minutes should be sufficient but we allowed an hour.

Basically, any of the test centres based at airports will provide acceptable tests but you can also check on the UK government website for approved organisations.

10 minutes ago, JohnUK said:

Congratulations!

We used Expresstest at Heathrow airport. 

John 

I have 3 1/2 hrs between landing at LHR and take off on next flight do you reckon thats enough time for test? No luggage to collect as its straight through. Wont be leaving Terminal 5. Can get the same £35 test by same company in Aberdeen for £50. The scotsman in me grudges being ripped off £15 🤣

10 minutes ago, Ray said:

John 

I have 3 1/2 hrs between landing at LHR and take off on next flight do you reckon thats enough time for test? No luggage to collect as its straight through. Wont be leaving Terminal 5. Can get the same £35 test by same company in Aberdeen for £50. The scotsman in me grudges being ripped off £15 🤣

Expresstest also operate from T2 Departures and T3 Forecourt so you may not need to mess about going to a different terminal. We arrived earlier than our test slot but were allowed to take the tests ahead of schedule. However, as far as I am aware, all tests are carried out prior to going through security so you may be on the "wrong" side. If you leave through Arrivals and go back through Departures that should be OK providing you have a boarding card. In which case, you would just about have enough time (assuming no hiccoughs).

Hope that helps.