Favorite Cozumel Excursions?

MNorris0107

Thanks Matt. Have you visited Chichen Itza?

I have not, although I'm dieing to go there.

Chitchen Itza is the Mayan/Aztec ruin to see.  It is without a doubt the most incredible surviving piece of Mesoamerican history.  

The problem is you spend most of your time commuting back and forth (ferry + long bus ride). There is another thread in this forum about Chitchen Itza, so search for it for some first-hand reviews. Everyone I've talked to says basically "it's awesome, but it's a long trip back and forth".

Has anyone visited Chichen Itza? My wife is a history professor and that's sort of up her alley. Just wondering if it's worth the $129 per person price!

We have this booked, but I'm having second thoughts about it. It would be awesome to see the ruins, but Matt is right, there's a lot of travelling back and forth and it seems like it would consume the whole day.

I'm leaning (and convincing my wife) to do the Xplor Park instead. Only an hour away from the port opposed to the almost 4 hour drive to Yucatan. Not to mention you get ziplines, amphibious vehicle rides, underground caverns to paddle a boat around, plus food. Last time I checked it was 199 PP in the RCL website, but saw one on XPlor's main website for half the price (you just need to find a way to get there) Hope everything works out for you and hope you find something great!

We have this booked, but I'm having second thoughts about it. It would be awesome to see the ruins, but Matt is right, there's a lot of travelling back and forth and it seems like it would consume the whole day.

I'm leaning (and convincing my wife) to do the Xplor Park instead. Only an hour away from the port opposed to the almost 4 hour drive to Yucatan. Not to mention you get ziplines, amphibious vehicle rides, underground caverns to paddle a boat around, plus food. Last time I checked it was 199 PP in the RCL website, but saw one on XPlor's main website for half the price (you just need to find a way to get there) Hope everything works out for you and hope you find something great!

How long do you actually spend at Chichen Itz? I get that the time to get there and back is long but just curious.

How long do you actually spend at Chichen Itz? I get that the time to get there and back is long but just curious.

I haven't taken the tour, but I investigated it and determined it wasn't ideal for me to take while in Cozumel.  From what I read elsewhere, you're the first off the boat and the last to return before sailing.  45 minutes on the ferry to the mainland, then 2 hours to the site.  About an hour and a half there, then 2 hours back on the bus and the 45 minute ferry ride again.

A long time ago when Empress was announced RC said they'd offer overnight stops in Cozumel - if they actually did that, then I'd consider the excursion.  

I think the only way to actually see the site would be to sail on one of Carnival's ships that stops in Progresso; that port is about as close to Chichen Itza as you're going to get.

We took a tour that included the Mayan ruins at San Gervasio a few years ago. It also included a tour of the island with a beach stop and others. It probably took about 3-3 1/2 hours but the tour guide, a native Mayan, was excellent. The ruins are most likely not as spectacular as Chitzen Itsa, but it is a lot closer (and shorter), quite enjoyable, entertaining and informative

Guest toodle68

Something to consider..  but in our 3 port western Caribbean cruise I wanted at least 1 visit to a Mayan Ruin.. So I looked over all 3 ports for the best one and then worked around that. 

Most of the excursions involve a 2 or more hour bus ride and have mixed reviews.  Since we were stopping in Belize, I decided on this one;  'Lamanai Mayan Site and New River Tour'.  It still takes approx 2 and a half hours to get there, but is broken up by bus and then boat.. and on the way back;  boat, lunch, bus.  The travel did not seem to bad as you are able to look at the countryside. The guides were excellent.

In the end, it was the only ruins tour that appealed to me and so we worked everything else around this.

Something to consider..  but in our 3 port western Caribbean cruise I wanted at least 1 visit to a Mayan Ruin.. So I looked over all 3 ports for the best one and then worked around that. 

Most of the excursions involve a 2 or more hour bus ride and have mixed reviews.  Since we were stopping in Belize, I decided on this one;  'Lamanai Mayan Site and New River Tour'.  It still takes approx 2 and a half hours to get there, but is broken up by bus and then boat.. and on the way back;  boat, lunch, bus.  The travel did not seem to bad as you are able to look at the countryside. The guides were excellent.

In the end, it was the only ruins tour that appealed to me and so we worked everything else around this.

I took this tour from Belize a couple of years ago.  EXCELLENT tour.  I was as sick as a dog when we went and I STILL enjoyed it.

Have fun !

Xplor park is amazing!! our family loved it. two years later and the kids still talk about it!

• 5 weeks later...

My wife is still adamant we go to this haha. I've seen the look in her eye before and there's nothing I can do to stop that LOL. So the tour says 6 hours total.  so if it is a 45 minute ferry ride each way, and what a 90 minute ride on the bus each way,  so maybe we get 90 minutes at the site, I'm assuming. 

Guest toodle68

My wife is still adamant we go to this haha. I've seen the look in her eye before and there's nothing I can do to stop that LOL. So the tour says 6 hours total.  so if it is a 45 minute ferry ride each way, and what a 90 minute ride on the bus each way,  so maybe we get 90 minutes at the site, I'm assuming. 

Pretty much.. However,  if there are any delays along the way, they will cut the time at the site. We had a delay on the one we did (two people never turned up at the beginning) and ended up an hour at the site. Even though we got back with 45 minutes to spare, the companies appear to be very afraid of delaying the ship.. An hour was still enough and the trip as a whole is worth it if you are a history buff. I knew it was likely the one and maybe only time I would see Mayan ruins so the journey did not bother me much.

Pretty much.. However,  if there are any delays along the way, they will cut the time at the site. We had a delay on the one we did (two people never turned up at the beginning) and ended up an hour at the site. Even though we got back with 45 minutes to spare, the companies appear to be very afraid of delaying the ship.. An hour was still enough and the trip as a whole is worth it if you are a history buff. I knew it was likely the one and maybe only time I would see Mayan ruins so the journey did not bother me much.

Yeah that is pretty much my thoughts. I'm not really excited about the journey to get there but I won't have many options to tour a Mayan ruin ever again so it'll be worth it.

Yeah that is pretty much my thoughts. I'm not really excited about the journey to get there but I won't have many options to tour a Mayan ruin ever again so it'll be worth it.

Costa Maya has some nice ruins as well if that port is on your itinerary. It requires a long bus ride, but it's easier to access since you don't have to take a ferry to get there.

Sorry I'm a little late with my response on this post.  The Lamanai Mayan Site and River Tour (Belize) was the highlight of my cruise 2 years ago.  It's fantastic and, as you noted, was broken up by a river ride and a stop for a very nice lunch in an open-air pavilion on the river.  Bus rides through the Caribbean countryside never bother me because I always enjoy seeing the sights, villages and foliage.   I've also been to Cichen Itza, probably 30 years ago but it was fantastic and I'd go again in a heartbeat.    Much more complex and massive than Lamanai.   We actually stayed overnight at the hotel there and did not drive in from a cruise so I can't say anything about that bus trip.

We're looking to do something to do with the ruins or just the natural beauty. Any suggestions?

Sorry to be late to respond.  If you are going on the Belize leg, you could see the Mayan ruins there, as it is a shorter bus ride than the one from Cozumel.  Then, at the Cozumel stop, you could do the Secret River Cave in Playa Del Carmen.  We absolutely loved it.  You wade and swim (with a wet suit and life jacket) through an underground cave with all of the cave sights (stalactites and the like).  The water is  never over your head, mostly knee to waist high.  The grounds are very pretty as well and they have a super nice buffet lunch included.  Not sure about your tastes, but you mentioned natural beauty.  We like the outdoors and like to hike.  

Our family visited Xplor a couple years back and it's something we still talk about. A really adventurous, fun day. I'd definitely visit again.

Has anyone visited Chichen Itza? My wife is a history professor and that's sort of up her alley. Just wondering if it's worth the $129 per person price!

I was there 10 years ago.  It was a long, bumpy ride in an open air bus.  The ruins are spectacular...we were there about 2 hours.  I think you would find it worth the price if it is high on your wife's bucket list.

• 2 weeks later...