Quick question about cost of the Unlimited Dining Package on Navigator of the Seas

CableKC

I'm weighing whether I should sail on the Navigator of the Seas or not and one of the factors is the restaurants.   I like that this ship has far more dining options and far more activities to enjoy than the corresponding Carnival ship out of Long Beach, but I don't like that most of the good restaurants require some fee to eat at ( something my Wife really pays attention to ). 

But then I heard about the Unlimited Dining Package and was thinking of simply factoring in the package into the overall cost of the trip.

For those that have recently sailed on the Navigator of the Seas and have purchased the Unlimited Dining Package, what is the cost per person?

I've read that it usually starts at $29 per person / per day, but wasn't sure if this is the cost or not.

For a 4 night Cruise, is the total cost per person calculated at 4 or 5 days?

For the A La Carte option where you're given a certain amount to spend, is it a total amount of $50 ( as an example ) per person / per day or per person / per meal? 

For a short cruise like this, is it worth it for 3 adults and 1 teenager?

Any thoughts on this topic would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

There are a lot of factors.........I believe Navigator has 4 specialty restaurants and a Johnny Rockets (JR)

If this is your first cruise, I recommend doing Chops +1 and sticking mainly to the complimentary options. It is usually about $71 for a 4- or 5-night sailing

For my upcoming sailing on Navigator, it is a 5n, the UDP is 122.99+ grats or $145.12 in total so that averages $29.02 a day. This is the per person cost and will vary based on "sale" price and sail timeframe. For A la carte the amount is based on a pp, per night/lunch. But it is always cheaper to get in the cruise planner, than on the ship.

The cost of Chops in the planner will be about $55-60, more on the ship. So, if you eat at Chops just 2x, you have almost covered the cost. You can also eat at the restaurants for lunch on sea days and other places like Playmakers and JR when in port. So those savings factor in as well.

Help me understand how it works.

For the restaurants that have a set price for the entire dinner, it's included in the cost.

But for the restaurants with an "a la Carte" menu, how does that work?

I know that we get $50 per person for the restaurants that are "a la Carte" restaurants.

For example:

I go with to Johnny Rockets at 11am, then go to PlayMakers in the afternoon and then go to the Sushi Restaurant in the evening where I end up spending way more than $50 over the course of a day.

Is that $50 per person for the entire day ( regardless of how many "a la Carte" restaurants we go to )?

or

Is that $50 per person per "a la Carte" restaurant that we go to ( meaning that if I spend all of my $50 allocation at Johnny Rockets and PlayMakers that I can't spend anymore at the Sushi Restaurant )?

Also, I assume that if I'm in a party of 4 and we all have the unlimited dining plan, is it that each person in the party has $50 to spend?

If the 4 of us go to the Sushi restaurant, does that mean that we essentially have $200 to spend on sushi for that dinner? ( as in, there are 4 people x $50 per person )?

5 hours ago, CableKC said:

For example:

I go with to Johnny Rockets at 11am, then go to PlayMakers in the afternoon and then go to the Sushi Restaurant in the evening where I end up spending way more than $50 over the course of a day.

Is that $50 per person for the entire day ( regardless of how many "a la Carte" restaurants we go to )?

Ultimate Dining Package allows $20 credit at Playmakers and $35 credit (+$10 surcharge for Hibachi) at Izumi each visit

6 hours ago, CableKC said:

But for the restaurants with an "a la Carte" menu, how does that work?

I know that we get $50 per person for the restaurants that are "a la Carte" restaurants.

The a la carte restaurants are $20 per person per visit for Playmakers and Portside BBQ and $35 per person per visit for Izumi Sushi.

That means EACH visit you have that much to spend per person.  If you have 4 in your party that have the dining package you can order up to $140 at Izumi Sushi.  Izumi Sushi also has a pre fixe menu for $34.99 that includes 1 small plate, 2 large plates and dessert that you can use your $35 stipend on. It's a TON of food!

• 5 weeks later...

Just following up on this.

Does anyone know how much the cost is for the Unlimited Dining package for a 4 night Cruise on the Navigator of the Seas going out of LA?

I was thinking that for a 3 night cruise, it may not be worth it.  But for a 4 Night Cruise, it may be worth it ( depending on the price ).

44 minutes ago, CableKC said:

Does anyone know how much the cost is for the Unlimited Dining package for a 4 night Cruise on the Navigator of the Seas going out of LA?

I was thinking that for a 3 night cruise, it may not be worth it.  But for a 4 Night Cruise, it may be worth it ( depending on the price ).

I paid just over $100 for the UDP for a 4-night cruise.  I'm a little tired of the MDR, so I thought the price was right to try the restaurants on board.

10 hours ago, CableKC said:

The current price for UDP on 4-night Navigator is $143, although the sale just ended. I believe that it was $133 during the sale. Chops+1 is $84 and unchanged from the sale price.

If you haven't cruised Royal before, especially on a shorter cruise to Mexico, I would stick to the most minimal specialty dining package.  Even 4 nights does not give you a tone of time to take advantage of the specialty AND complimentary dining options, especially because if I were you, I would get off in Ensenada for tacos.  

You get only one formal night.  Check out the steak and lobster there for free.  If you like what you taste, next time, get the Chops package or for a longer cruise get the UDP.  Cruise ships, even the smaller ones, offer so much and 4 nights is only 12 or 13 traditional meals, or in our case, 20 traditional meals (we do second breakfast and second dinner daily).