Pet peeves cruising besides chair hogs

We all know chair hogs are the top of the list, but what would you add.  This might help 1st time cruisers.

Me:

Cheating at Schooner Trivia....play by the rules....NO PHONES. PLEASE!  Seriously, you win a highlighter or a key fob....there is no trophy. Googling doesn't make you look smarter....instead we all, ok my group and other groups around you that have done this multiple times will all look and just mock you in a low voice at their table.... Usually the common joke is they dont know the prize they won was a key fob.  This is really not about winning its about the interaction and laughter.  losing is part of winning.   Sorry if that offends.

10 minutes ago, teddy said:

A group of people walking strung out across the Promenade when it's busy.

Someone wandering down the Promenade with their head in their phone, not watching where they are going is a close second..

Two, three or more people stopping in the middle of a hallway deciding what they are going to do next blocking my/our way.  Would they stop in the middle of the road (they might)?

Parents letting their kids run wild down the hallway of the cabins.  I walked out my cabin once and a running kid ran into me, fell and started crying.  The kids parents got in my face about it.

People who make noise complaints when you’re just having a good time. People who give you a dirty look when you are just trying to avoid tan lines. The completely arbitrary “cut offs” on drinks. It’s called the UNLIMITED drink package, not the “you look like you’ve had too many” package. 

6 hours ago, BowTieBrigade said:

People who make noise complaints when you’re just having a good time. People who give you a dirty look when you are just trying to avoid tan lines. The completely arbitrary “cut offs” on drinks. It’s called the UNLIMITED drink package, not the “you look like you’ve had too many” package. 

Personally experienced? 

23 minutes ago, RWDW1204 said:

Personally experienced? 

I do believe that staterooms should be more or less quiet, since one has many venues for partying.  Thus, being drunk and noisy in the wee hours isn't very cruise-friendly.  And shouting at the top of your lungs from your balcony is a definite no-no.

Poor👏
El👏e👏vator👏
et👏ti👏quette!

I can't stand it anywhere crowded but I feel I see the worst of people on cruises.

• Being the last group to enter a crowded elevator bank but being first to rush an elevator
  • Not letting ADA folks on or off first
  • Overcrowding
  • Intentionally riding up to ride down or vice-versa
  • Repeatedly pressing the call button before a full elevator door closes thereby stopping that elevator from leaving AND any others from being called.
  • Loud music/phone conversations
  • Standing in the middle of an otherwise empty elevator and not moving when people are getting on
  • Blocking the door
    • from inside so people have to squeeze around you to get off OR
    • from outside so people have to bottle neck to get off

Truly not having to experience this on the reduced capacity cruise we did last fall was AMAZING

On 3/21/2022 at 6:22 AM, twangster said:

Yes!

However the terminal may not be accepting guests right at 10:30am but you can get in the queue and be one of the first to be let in the terminal.  The ship may not be boarding once through check in but there will be a suite waiting area for the brief wait until the ship begins boarding once CBP allows it.  

Add me to this list as well. sometimes its the only way to get on, especially if you have seen a few full elevators already.

35 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I'm guilty of this one.  Sometimes it's the only way to get on at all !

For real until reading this I was not aware that this was bad behavior. If I am somewhere near the top or bottom of the ship I will always hop in and ride a floor down to head back up. I'm gonna have to do some research to see if this is commonly frowned upon.

25 minutes ago, GKMCruising said:

I think we're *all* guilty of that one on occasion.

Yes.... If 2 elevators show up and are completely full I'll ride the next elevator even press the button for an elevator going in the opposite direction. 

My pet peeve is when I see people berate the staff.  I don't understand that type of behavior especially when on vacation for the life of me.  The staff works extremely hard most of them are working 12-15 hours a day 7 days a week for up to 9 months depending on the length of their contract.  The majority of guest on the ship don't work 7 days a week when they are on land.

34 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I'm guilty of this one.  Sometimes it's the only way to get on at all !

I blame the planners of the ship on that one.  If there were enough elevators to handle peak periods of time, no one would have to go up to go down ......  I'm not saying that there should never be a line to go up or down, but when you wait for about 45 minutes when you only have 15 minutes to get to the next venue on time, that's ridiculous. Especially when stairs are out of the question because of disabilities.  

7 minutes ago, CruizIan said:

For real until reading this I was not aware that this was bad behavior. If I am somewhere near the top or bottom of the ship I will always hop in and ride a floor down to head back up. I'm gonna have to do some research to see if this is commonly frowned upon.

I've seen it happen where so many people do this no one can get on an elevator going in the direction they intend to and are stuck waiting 3 times as long. It's especially bad on boarding/debarking days.

46 minutes ago, CrimsonCruiser said:
  • Loud music/phone conversations
  • Standing in the middle of an otherwise empty elevator and not moving when people are getting on

The loud phone conversation on an elevator is no problem at all to solve. Hold your phone to your head and have a loud phone conversation explaining the you can't hear very well since somebody next to you is having a loud phone conversation. If you are just loud enough it usually solves the problem.

The not moving to the side is also solvable just stand really really close to that person and apologies for squeezing in to the elevator like that. Usually people get the hint and move to a side.

If you are rude thinks could escalate but if you do whatever the other person is doing it is hard for them to escalate things.

1 hour ago, CrimsonCruiser said:
  • Intentionally riding up to ride down or vice-versa

That's not poor elevator etiquette, IMO. It's working smarter, not harder.

OTOH, if I'm going up less than four decks or down less than six (other than to the location of the gangway in port which can be difficult to find without the elevator) I always use the stairs.

21 hours ago, teddy said:

A group of people walking strung out across the Promenade when it's busy.

Someone wandering down the Promenade with their head in their phone, not watching where they are going is a close second..

It's this and the slow walkers who are oblivious that they are taking up a thoroughfare of any kind anywhere else...turning in front of people without looking behind them...

There was a time when I was called to the naughty room on embarkation about something I packed that I didn't realize was verbotten (totally my fault), and I witnessed another passenger SCREAMING at security about a hair dryer. they were there when I got there and were still screaming when I left. The security guy just let them make fools of themselves and took the hair dryer. It was the most uncalled for thing I've seen on a ship, and I can't stand any rudeness directed toward crew.

My wife packed an iron on our first or second cruise. We went down to the "area" and got scolded. I really think they need a little setup on the side, you know, some kind of jail setup that the husband's can take a picture of the wife being detained. Just a thought. RC camera people can camp out for the first day for the photo ops.

On 3/22/2022 at 9:26 AM, jay1021 said:

I blame the planners of the ship on that one.  If there were enough elevators to handle peak periods of time, no one would have to go up to go down ......  I'm not saying that there should never be a line to go up or down, but when you wait for about 45 minutes when you only have 15 minutes to get to the next venue on time, that's ridiculous. Especially when stairs are out of the question because of disabilities.  

I think people that try to use the elevators at the exit of the theater when the show lets out should be prepared to wait or walk to another set of elevators if they are able. I don't there can be enough elevators added for cover those peak crowded events. 

1 hour ago, Toby said:

I think people that try to use the elevators at the exit of the theater when the show lets out should be prepared to wait or walk to another set of elevators if they are able. I don't there can be enough elevators added for cover those peak crowded events. 

Yep, it's too late to add more elevators to the existing fleet (unless a complete re-do of the ship which I don't think that is going to happen).  But, I'd hope the builders/buyers of ships keep this in mind, but they won't if we don't keep reminding them of it.

I've tried to hurry to the aft elevators and it's impossible to beat the young'uns.  

1 hour ago, Toby said:

On 3/21/2022 at 1:28 PM, Pima1988 said:

We all know chair hogs are the top of the list, but what would you add.  This might help 1st time cruisers.

Me:

Cheating at Schooner Trivia....play by the rules....NO PHONES. PLEASE!  Seriously, you win a highlighter or a key fob....there is no trophy. Googling doesn't make you look smarter....instead we all, ok my group and other groups around you that have done this multiple times will all look and just mock you in a low voice at their table.... Usually the common joke is they dont know the prize they won was a key fob.  This is really not about winning its about the interaction and laughter.  losing is part of winning.   Sorry if that offends.

I used to run a Name That Tune every week at a local bar.

Here's the thing: THERE WAS NO PRIZE. AND PEOPLE STILL CHEATED. Why on earth would you cheat at something there isn't even a prize for winning? I disqualified groups left and right for cheating, and they would get SUPER mad... my friend, you're the one who is such a sore freaking loser you are cheating at a game there isn't even a prize for! People are ridiculous.

Having just gotten off my cruise...

1. People who didn't do what they were supposed to pre-cruise being in the same lines as people who did.

I don't know if this is RC's fault or the port's fault, but we got stuck behind people who didn't take their security photo (we did), didn't take their health questionnaire (we did), didn't upload their vaccination card (we did). There needs to be a separate line for this. If the company is going to make a "do this to get on the ship faster!" checklist, then it needs to actually be faster. It isn't when you still get stuck behind 20 people who didn't do any of it, and have to wait for all of them anyway. There should be a line for "did everything you were supposed to beforehand" and if you get in and they find out you didn't, you get sent to the line of people who didn't instead of holding up everyone who did. Should be no different than the people who didn't check-in in advance.

2. People with mobility issues using self-assist disembarkation.

I know they say anyone who needs wheelchair assistance shouldn't use it. But seriously, if you can't walk the same speed as everyone else, you shouldn't, either.

3. People with more than two bags per person using self-assist disembarkation.

Again. This should be for people who can move at a normal speed. People should not be stuck behind you struggling to haul your four suitcases. One suitcase per hand, plus a backpack or purse over your shoulder(s), max.