Cruise Compasses

I just got off Freedom of the Seas today.  This was my 19th cruise with RC.  Be advised that this was the first one I’ve been on that a cruise compass was not automatically waiting for you in your room at the end of the night for the next day.  Further, guest services does not have them out for you to take on the wall next to their desk.  In order for you to receive a printed copy in your room, you must request one from guest services and then your room attendant will deliver one for the rest of the cruise to your room at night.  They also keep copies there as well.  I see this as a way to push more people into using the RC app, and as a cost savings to RC.  This change wasn’t communicated to the guests onboard.  Using the app for me isn’t an issue, but my elderly parent it is especially since they are used to having one for the past years.

Bob - Diamond Plus

We just finished a B2B on Liberty and we always had a Cruise Compass waiting the evening before in our room. Never had to ask. Must be on particular ships. We use the app but my wife still likes to browse the Compass to see all the activities on one easy read page.

They started that on the second week of our B2B on the Explorer of the Seas last November.  When we didn't get them the second week, we asked our room attendant and she explained it was a new policy and they weren't putting them in the rooms anymore and to use the app.  We thought it was stupid and asked her if we could request it and she was more then happy to make sure we had it.   We will be on the Odyssey the 3rd of next month...So I guess we will see.

I, for one, will request, if not done automatically, the paper Compass be put in my cabin every night.  As stated in other threads, I don't like carrying around the imaginary tether to my phone while I'm on a cruise, especially sea days, most cruises I put it in the safe and don't see it again until disembarkation day, some exceptions apply.  I like having the paper Compass folded and in my back pocket for quick reference.  Sometimes, I may cut it up a bit so that I only take along the important thing to me.  Such as operating hours of venues and entertainment locations and start times.  

Recently on Odyssey, after two days with no hard-copy Compass, we thought they were a thing of the past.  Then on day-3, and every day for the duration, we had a Compass waiting for us on our bed.

Just got off the Enchantment last Thursday. There was one in the room every night. I guess I'll see if they're still providing one up our upcoming B2B on the Explorer in May. I like using the app too, so will happily go with the flow either way.  I've been on 14 RC cruises and have saved every one of them (don't know why 🙂).

The changing times I guess. 

Just got off of Liberty yesterday and we (except for my mother-in-law, who asked for a paper copy) just had the electronic version. 

Personally, I like using the app so I can automatically add things to my calendar, and then I just have to look there for the things in which I'm interested. But to each their own. It was good to know they at least still have the paper copy for those who want it.