Jump to content

Miami cruise port to Miami airport


BB1
 Share

Recommended Posts

Is is possible? Yes. 

Are there a lot of variables (delays at customs, delays at security, ship coming back in to port late, traffic) that could cause you to miss your flight? Absolutely. 

YMMV, but there's a strong chance that this could bring a lot of stress at the end of a very relaxing vacation. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

as somewhat that was born, raised in Miami & currently living less than 5 minutes from the Port, I can tell you that you have a very slim chance of making it there on time. TSA wait times at MIA are at an all time high & traffic congestion are at levels we've never seen down here. "the great covid migration". That is all without taking into consideration all of the other variables that might delay you actually getting off the board ship & through customs.
like others have posted, don't risk it if you can avoid it. It's just not worth it & highly doubtful you'd even be able to get there on time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It should be - off the ship when they release it, through the shipside customs and grab a taxi, it's only 15 minutes or so to the airport that time of the morning. Even taking my own sweet time I've always gotten to the airport by about 10. Unless you're flying International 11:30 should work.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jaedam0820 said:

Our flight back is at 1:43PM on a Saturday. Is it doable? Reading the replies here make me nervous too.

Yes that is more than doable.

5 hours ago, BB1 said:

Sorry to ask again but is 11:30 doable? Noon ok?

If you self-embark I would say soft yes. They are the first off the ship because they carry their own luggage. You could be off in a cab/Lyft/Uber by 7:15 and at the airport before 8. I think a lot of people fail to factor in when boarding ends. It is usually 20min before take-off. So factoring in that and the fact of how busy MIA is, allow at least 2+hrs to get through screening, check bags etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

Yes that is more than doable.

If you self-embark I would say soft yes. They are the first off the ship because they carry their own luggage. You could be off in a cab/Lyft/Uber by 7:15 and at the airport before 8. I think a lot of people fail to factor in when boarding ends. It is usually 20min before take-off. So factoring in that and the fact of how busy MIA is, allow at least 2+hrs to get through screening, check bags etc.

Even with TSA pre-check?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, BB1 said:

Even with TSA pre-check?

My experience with pre-check last month in Miami was I stood in the long, long line with everyone else.  When I got to the TSA agent to show my ID/boarding pass, I was handed a card allowing me to leave everything on and go through the simple metal detector instead of the X-ray things. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/25/2022 at 6:17 PM, Ampurp85 said:

Yes that is more than doable.

If you self-embark I would say soft yes. They are the first off the ship because they carry their own luggage. You could be off in a cab/Lyft/Uber by 7:15 and at the airport before 8. I think a lot of people fail to factor in when boarding ends. It is usually 20min before take-off. So factoring in that and the fact of how busy MIA is, allow at least 2+hrs to get through screening, check bags etc.

Thank you so much. We plan to self-embark because we don't want to get in the hustle and bustle of things. Thank you for the information!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jaedam0820 said:

Thank you so much. We plan to self-embark because we don't want to get in the hustle and bustle of things. Thank you for the information!

We did the self disembark just once.  RCL said carry offs would be allowed off starting at 7:30 am.  The line to get off starting forming at 6:00 as we asked the first few in line.  We got in line at 7:10 am and I estimate there were 100 or so people ahead of us.  The line started moving at 7:45 am.  We hailed a cab (Port Liberty, NJ) to Newark airport around 8:30 am and just made a 10:45 am flight.  We paid extra for SW early bird checkin which was a waste.  We had A group boarding positions and by the time we reached the gate the C group was boarding.   They let us on in front of the last of the C group  (if looks could kill 🙂 ) and we got the last 2 seats together.  Never again.  Flights noon or later are the earliest we will book.

BTW - Southwest no longer flies out of Newark.  La Guardia is now the only airport they use to service NYC or NJ.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, BB1 said:

Has anyone used Clear? Would it make that much of a difference, especially in Miami using American airlines?

While I don't have Clear, I do have precheck and global entry and I would stand by my previous recommendation that you're running a risk on an early flight. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BB1 said:

Has anyone used Clear? Would it make that much of a difference, especially in Miami using American airlines?

We have Clear and it’s been a mixed bag.  First of all, not all airports have Clear so make sure that “your” airport does.  Clear is only of value when TSA lines are long.  If the TSA line is moving well, you’re unlikely to save much time with Clear.  If you do not have TSA PreCheck in addition to Clear, you will still have to go through the “regular” TSA screener (not to be confused with the regular TSA line) where you remove your shoes, etc.  Also, if you have any “metal” in your body (knee replacement, etc), you will have to go through the full body scanner so there are many restrictions where Clear isn’t particularly helpful.  Having said that, during the years when I was flying a lot for work, I was grateful to have Clear and used it a lot.

If I am remembering correctly (in no way a certainty), I was never able to use Clear in Miami b/c the only Clear gate was hell-and-gone from the gate where we always flew out of…and we fly AA exclusively (well, mostly exclusively).  I could have a failing memory but that’s what I think.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

We have Clear and it’s been a mixed bag.  First of all, not all airports have Clear so make sure that “your” airport does.  Clear is only of value when TSA lines are long.  If the TSA line is moving well, you’re unlikely to save much time with Clear.  If you do not have TSA PreCheck in addition to Clear, you will still have to go through the “regular” TSA screener (not to be confused with the regular TSA line) where you remove your shoes, etc.  Also, if you have any “metal” in your body (knee replacement, etc), you will have to go through the full body scanner so there are many restrictions where Clear isn’t particularly helpful.  Having said that, during the years when I was flying a lot for work, I was grateful to have Clear and used it a lot.

If I am remembering correctly (in no way a certainty), I was never able to use Clear in Miami b/c the only Clear gate was hell-and-gone from the gate where we always flew out of…and we fly AA exclusively (well, mostly exclusively).  I could have a failing memory but that’s what I think.  

Good information.  Thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We did just this 9 days ago (so a Saturday — no impact from commuter traffic, I guess) from Oasis of the Seas. We had no problems disembarking during self-assist (around 7:45 AM, I think), headed very easily through the terminal and out to an Uber pretty quickly. I don't recall any waiting on the way through and out.

Our flight was scheduled at 10:18 AM (Delta out of MIA). I just checked my Uber app and it shows that I was picked up at 8:13 AM. According to Google's location history for me, we arrived at the airport around 8:36 AM.

It's contrary to the advice given above by people I respect, but maybe the data points will be interesting to some.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...