Holland America Speeds Up Embarkation

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/27040-holland-america-speeds-up-embarkation-process-with-new-tech.html

What jumps out at me that I'd love to see Royal adopt:

VeriFLY gives guests the option to upload the required information to the app, including proof of vaccination and test results, providing a way to go through the screening process prior to arrival at the terminal. Once registration is complete, guests simply need to show the VeriFLY QR code or “pass” (digital or printed) to the check-in agent. VeriFLY has a successful record of serving dozens of airlines, cruise lines, hotels and a variety of industries. The VeriFLY app is available for download at Google Play and the Apple App Store.

I wish they could speed up the security screening process. At Port Liberty, it’s usually the thing that really brings things to a standstill. I know passengers who are unfamiliar with the process don’t know to put all their metal objects in their carry-on, or mistakenly bring prohibited items, or pack their carry-on in such a way that makes it look like a jumble of wires on the Xray scanner and inadvertently cause delays which ripple through the line. I think the only way to address this is to add (or even just staff) more scanners and maybe have just one main line, like at a bank, and someone directing the next person in line to the next available security scanning station. It’s frustrating to be near the head of the line just to get stuck while the longer line next to you is flowing quickly. Yes, it’s my peeve! 😜

In Royal's defense, they've spent a lot of time speeding up the embarkation process years before this.

Prior to Covid, Royal adopted a goal of getting you from car to bar in less than 10 minutes. That's still the plan going forward, but some Covid protocols make that not quite possible right now.

Check out Episode 445 podcast for a more in-depth answer how Royal is already working to speed up the embarkation process: https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/podcast/episode-445-what-royal-caribbean-has-planned-jay-schneider

10 hours ago, HeWhoWaits said:

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/27040-holland-america-speeds-up-embarkation-process-with-new-tech.html

What jumps out at me that I'd love to see Royal adopt:

VeriFLY gives guests the option to upload the required information to the app, including proof of vaccination and test results, providing a way to go through the screening process prior to arrival at the terminal. Once registration is complete, guests simply need to show the VeriFLY QR code or “pass” (digital or printed) to the check-in agent. VeriFLY has a successful record of serving dozens of airlines, cruise lines, hotels and a variety of industries. The VeriFLY app is available for download at Google Play and the Apple App Store.

I think Royal has done a great job speeding up the boarding process during COVID but the speed only works if customers use the app and upload every single piece or required documentation. VeriFLY is no different the lines will only move faster if the majority of passenger actually use the app.  In the cruises that I've done since the resumption of cruising once I've gotten through security (which is the major traffic jam) I've been cleared onto the ship in around 15 minutes and the only reason it is taken that long is because people ahead of us didn't or couldn't used Royal's app and/or they didn't complete and upload every single piece of required documentation. 

14 hours ago, BrianB said:

I wish they could speed up the security screening process. At Port Liberty, it’s usually the thing that really brings things to a standstill. I know passengers who are unfamiliar with the process don’t know to put all their metal objects in their carry-on, or mistakenly bring prohibited items, or pack their carry-on in such a way that makes it look like a jumble of wires on the Xray scanner and inadvertently cause delays which ripple through the line. I think the only way to address this is to add (or even just staff) more scanners and maybe have just one main line, like at a bank, and someone directing the next person in line to the next available security scanning station. It’s frustrating to be near the head of the line just to get stuck while the longer line next to you is flowing quickly. Yes, it’s my peeve! 😜

I can’t pick a line to save my life.  It’s a running joke. I want to make a sign for my back…don’t stand behind me there will be some sort of ridiculous issue that will hold up this line.

I was FIRST in line in Miami in June to our check in agent…..I must have had the person they threw a uniform on to make the lines look staffed.  Mind you the passports and vaccine cards were scanned in, health checks were done….it took this woman 30 minutes to get us through.  I spent the whole time looking for hidden cameras.😩😡

17 hours ago, JasonOasis said:

I think Royal has done a great job speeding up the boarding process during COVID but the speed only works if customers use the app and upload every single piece or required documentation. VeriFLY is no different the lines will only move faster if the majority of passenger actually use the app.  In the cruises that I've done since the resumption of cruising once I've gotten through security (which is the major traffic jam) I've been cleared onto the ship in around 15 minutes and the only reason it is taken that long is because people ahead of us didn't or couldn't used Royal's app and/or they didn't complete and upload every single piece of required documentation. 

I havent see any benefit of uploading all the docs ahead of time, every cruise post-COVID I have had to show every single document at least once, even though they were all uploaded through the app. Seems like the potential is there to just wave through but so far no benefit from it for me.

22 hours ago, Pattycruise said:

I can’t pick a line to save my life.  It’s a running joke. I want to make a sign for my back…don’t stand behind me there will be some sort of ridiculous issue that will hold up this line.

I was FIRST in line in Miami in June to our check in agent…..I must have had the person they threw a uniform on to make the lines look staffed.  Mind you the passports and vaccine cards were scanned in, health checks were done….it took this woman 30 minutes to get us through.  I spent the whole time looking for hidden cameras.😩😡

I feel your pain. I suffer from the same unlucky gene of picking slow lines!  

On 3/22/2022 at 11:20 AM, jticarruthers said:

I havent see any benefit of uploading all the docs ahead of time, every cruise post-COVID I have had to show every single document at least once, even though they were all uploaded through the app. Seems like the potential is there to just wave through but so far no benefit from it for me.

Ditto's - we've wondered the same thing. I haven't seen the App usefulness grow sufficiently to make it indispensable - still just a nice to have.

On 3/22/2022 at 12:20 PM, jticarruthers said:

Holland America is accepting uploaded without showing live documents. Royal has not followed suit.