Packing

Leighq

A bit of humor for this Sunday night.  Who here raise your hand male or female or however you identify packs like they need their entire closet with them as they fear I may need that or something OR is this just me as I watched my father pack like this my entire life?  I swear QVC and Amazon probably know me on a first name basis already!   

My curse is to overpack.

Part of my excuse... it's winter where I get on the plane.  So I'm wearing winter clothes.  Need another set to fly home in. And another set in case I spill on myself.  4 pairs of shoes.  I only actually wore 2.  2 pairs of dress pants.  Wore 1.  About 6 extra shirts, again just in case I spill on myself.  See how all this works?

My system has yet to fail me.

🙂 that is me!  We are booked on our 1st cruise October 2022 and my other half has already asked me to stop online shopping lol.  My excuse is we live in Alaska and I'm  "worried" I won't be able to find stuff I want to take with me if I wait til later.  I travel regularly for work and can pack for that with no issues but vacation packing is a completely different story!

My cruise in November…I brought home almost 40% unworn clothing that I had packed!  I use packing cubes and once I hang up my clothes I begin with the largest cube to pack my worn clothing and down from there.  Lol I pretty much needed the largest one for my unworn clothes.  Shoes?  Don’t go there…way too many packed!

So now I just began the packing (well, laying everything out at the moment) for my cruise in 14 days and have vowed to be much more realistic in what to bring.  We will see.  This is certainly a great topic!

6 minutes ago, PPPJJ-GCVAB said:

My cruise in November…I brought home almost 40% unworn clothing that I had packed!  I use packing cubes and once I hang up my clothes I begin with the largest cube to pack my worn clothing and down from there.  Lol I pretty much needed the largest one for my unworn clothes.  Shoes?  Don’t go there…way too many packed!

So now I just began the packing (well, laying everything out at the moment) for my cruise in 14 days and have vowed to be much more realistic in what to bring.  We will see.  This is certainly a great topic!

See I would love to do this but I’m like ooooh I may need that whatever or doohickey or what do you call it.  I’m surprised I couldn’t close my luggage and I have a fully packed carry on.  I’m a hopeless romantic in packing!

8 minutes ago, Leighq said:

See I would love to do this but I’m like ooooh I may need that whatever or doohickey or what do you call it.  I’m surprised I couldn’t close my luggage and I have a fully packed carry on.  I’m a hopeless romantic in packing!

EXACTLY!!!!  My suitcase is all mine and part of my husband’s becomes mine too!  😂😂

Nope, I am a semi-light packer mostly because I did not inherit the shopping gene.  Spent 25 years as a manager for Macys and now I break out in hives at even the thought of shopping.  So I don’t have a lot of clothes.  Our 7 day we got back from yesterday, I had 2 24” and 1 carryon for 3 adults including dress clothes and shoes.  And I still brought half a suitcase of unused clothes home.  I will say I wish I was more of a fashionista.  People looked so nice!  I just never really learned how to do that.

18 minutes ago, Pooch said:

Nope, I am a semi-light packer mostly because I did not inherit the shopping gene.  Spent 25 years as a manager for Macys and now I break out in hives at even the thought of shopping.  So I don’t have a lot of clothes.  Our 7 day we got back from yesterday, I had 2 24” and 1 carryon for 3 adults including dress clothes and shoes.  And I still brought half a suitcase of unused clothes home.  I will say I wish I was more of a fashionista.  People looked so nice!  I just never really learned how to do that.

@Poochyou probably looked just as elegant and nice!  

We always take 'too much' despite saying "never again" - although to be honest the 'too much' last time was less 'too much' than all previous 'too much' times!

We do tend to mix the clothes across the 2 cases though - some of mine in hers and vice versa as I know one day the airline will lose one of our cases! 

I am definitely not an overpacker. Neither is my wife. I'm the guy who typically flies with only a carry-on bag, avoiding checking luggage whenever possible!

For our cruise on April 10, it's a little different; I have no issue checking bags (especially since there will be ONE ship in port, no where else for our bags to go), so we'll be borrowing a larger suitcase in addition to our two small suitcases. I'm actually a bit overwhelmed at the thought of bringing THREE pairs of shoes with me (sneakers, crocs, and my black loafers for the MDR)!

It's taken a long time, over many cruises...but I have learned from experience (and especially from others on forums like these) how to control my over packing tendencies. One of the best packing 'hacks' I have is to buy 'travel' clothing that is light, breathable and wrinkle-free. I can shove a lot into my bag and have it come out looking great with just a shake. Plus, mid-cruise, I take advantage of the laundry service for my shorts, socks and tees... allowing me to pack less of them. My couple pair of shoes are versatile, nice looking, light slip-ons that can be worn with anything. I don't pack sports jackets anymore. A nice pair of dark, wrinkle free dockers and a dressy button down shirt is enough for Dress Your Best or Formal. I used to pack a small spray bottle of Wrinkle Release, but now I don't because I have mostly wrinkle-free clothes. I used to 'identify' as a Clothing Packing Mule and would bring everything I could squeeze into my bags, but now I'm more conservative as to how much I bring...I think...😉

I'm just Okay with a few pair of shorts and a few T-Shirts.  But, my next cruise is to Alaska and I may have to pack a rain-suit (frogg-toggs), jeans and a jacket, too.

BTW, most of my bulk is electronics, camera(s), Bluetooth speakers, drone, bipods, tripods.  

Screenshot 2022-03-21 111419.jpg

Edited by jay1021

Look...LOOK....look....

I make a list.....a 3 column full page list...i agonize over it to ensure I'm not overpacking....

and somehow..I still...when facing my closet think "OH! I didn't think about this shirt/dress/skirt/socks/shoes etc" and always end up with waaaaaay more than I need on my bed and an airline weight limit looming over my shoulder

7 minutes ago, CrimsonCruiser said:

Look...LOOK....look....

I make a list.....a 3 column full page list...i agonize over it to ensure I'm not overpacking....

and somehow..I still...when facing my closet think "OH! I didn't think about this shirt/dress/skirt/socks/shoes etc" and always end up with waaaaaay more than I need on my bed and an airline weight limit looming over my shoulder

I bet "there's an app for that".  😀

@Leighq I tried to answer your question on the other thread, but the comments veered off into arguments which resulted in the thread being shut down.

So, to answer your question...if the Key on the cruise planner says 'check onboard', that means it is currently sold out. But, you should keep checking back as they may expand availability depending on capacity as time goes on. Good luck and enjoy your cruise!

12 minutes ago, BrianB said:

@Leighq I tried to answer your question on the other thread, but the comments veered off into arguments which resulted in the thread being shut down.

So, to answer your question...if the Key on the cruise planner says 'check onboard', that means it is currently sold out. But, you should keep checking back as they may expand availability depending on capacity as time goes on. Good luck and enjoy your cruise!

I saw that and thank you!

2 hours ago, Pooch said:

Hubby laughs at me.  I panic about suitcase weight every trip and yet have never had a bag over 35lbs.   This time I kept moving stuff around & accidentally put the hot sauces my son bought in a carry on.  Took them all ☹️☹️.  

Now I am packing for him.  Lol this is where the fun begins!

I don’t trust anyone else to pack (see previous post - I don’t trust me!!). I make sure everyone has enough, has socks underwear bathing suits.  I ALWAYS cross pack in case a bag is lost.  This happened to my aunt & uncle going to Europe.  He had the clothes on his back and found it almost impossible to find things in size Old American Man.  

6 hours ago, CrimsonCruiser said:

Look...LOOK....look....

Yay, another list maker. I have columns for each day with activities and tether the outfits to that. I always say, I can totally pack less next time and eventually pack a little more. BUT by far  hubby brings the most, I have to lock the suitcase with a combo he doesn't know, or when I open it up, i have to really dig in to find my things. Love those packing cubes....

6 hours ago, Pooch said:

Hubby laughs at me.  I panic about suitcase weight every trip and yet have never had a bag over 35lbs.   This time I kept moving stuff around & accidentally put the hot sauces my son bought in a carry on.  Took them all ☹️☹️.  

They took your hot sauces?  Airport security or port authorities?  Wow...I'm bringing creole seasoning, as I read it was TSA approved as long as its under 12 oz.  🥴

So, I used to only travel to "foreign" countries so I always over packed. But it was mainly because I didn't want to be stuck somewhere without something I need. Now I have it down to a science. I only pack an expandable carry-on and maybe a backpack.......and I always travel with a 10in small box fan.  I usually use 1 or 2 packing cubes and I am set. I mix and match clothes, so usually I bring black or grey dressy pants that can go with multiple blouses and dresses that can go day to night. I think it has been years since my luggage made it over 35lbs.

19 hours ago, Pooch said:

I've almost done this on the return trip. I'm staring at a potentially overweight checked bag and my instinct is to move a heavier item which is usually some liquid thing. I'll pull it out, put it in the carry on.."wait.no...can't do that...put it back..."