Fort Lauderdale cruise port

2ball

33 minutes ago, 2ball said:

Ft Lauderdale cruise port is a secured port.  My plan is to be the first one off the ship at 6:45 am.  Will there be taxis waiting ?  Will Uber go there?

what is my best bet for getting to FLL quickly?

There will be taxis & rideshare galore, no issues. The bigger issue might be the fact that you are rushing to FLL. I would NOT bank on getting off that ship at 6:45 because sometimes things just happen and there are delays w/ clearing the ship exc. Considering FLL is about 6 minutes away from the port it seems like you might be scheduled to fly out a bit too early? 

Yea,  the flight may be a bit to early but I’m going to Tee it up and see what happens. I’m on the cruise now.  It will be a good story either way.

I want to make sure I eliminate any issues on my part that waste time.

not sure if I can schedule an Uber and pay him to wait for me.

any tips?

If you don't want to wait for a Uber to enter the port the solution is to take a taxi.  Given the short drive to FLL you don't save that much with rideshare compared to a taxi.  

The biggest problem I've had with Uber/Lyft are drivers that don't go into Port Everglades often.  Many in South Florida don't seem to do english very well and they have to show a ride manifest to enter the port, they can't stage within the port area, so rideshare tends to be slower at Port Everglades.  When you get assigned an Uber driver who has never been in the port and that can't speak english they tend to get held up at the gate until they figure out where in the app they can access the manifest that shows they have a ride booked.

1 hour ago, Leighq said:

when do they alllow guests to be let in to wait for their boarding time?

Varies one week to the next.  Typically the doors have opened between 10:15am-ish and 10:30am but sometimes security isn't ready to begin processing guests yet so all you really do is move in the queue from outside to a few feet on the other side of the doors.  

When I've had 11am boarding appointments with a +/-1 hour permitted window for suites/pinnacle I've typically been processed and upstairs in the suite/pinnacle area by 10:45am.  Ship boarding varies week to week but has typically started between 11am to 12noon.  

16 minutes ago, twangster said:

Varies one week to the next.  Typically the doors have opened between 10:15am-ish and 10:30am but sometimes security isn't ready to begin processing guests yet so all you really do is move in the queue from outside to a few feet on the other side of the doors.  

When I've had 11am boarding appointments with a +/-1 hour permitted window for suites/pinnacle I've typically been processed and upstairs in the suite/pinnacle area by 10:45am.  Ship boarding varies week to week but has typically started between 11am to 12noon.  

Thank you!   

14 hours ago, 2ball said:

Ft Lauderdale cruise port is a secured port.  My plan is to be the first one off the ship at 6:45 am.  Will there be taxis waiting ?  Will Uber go there?

what is my best bet for getting to FLL quickly?

I haven't been there post-covid but...previously, I would do early  walk-off with my luggage and be one of the first ones off. After exiting the terminal, there was a line of waiting taxis. Quick ride to the nearby airport (FLL). As long as there are no delays with the ship's scheduled arrival...surprisingly quick and easy. 

4 hours ago, BrianB said:

I haven't been there post-covid but...previously, I would do early  walk-off with my luggage and be one of the first ones off. After exiting the terminal, there was a line of waiting taxis. Quick ride to the nearby airport (FLL). As long as there are no delays with the ship's scheduled arrival...surprisingly quick and easy. 

Nice, that’s what I hoping for.  
thank you.

as a follow up to this if anyone searches, 

Fort lauderdale cruise port to Fort lauderdale airport, 9:10am flight.

I was in line with my luggage to leave the ship at 6:10am.

I actually got to leave at 6:40am.  I was one of the first 20 people off the ship.

I made it outside in about 10 minutes (maybe less).

There were at least 30 -50 taxis waiting.

I got in the taxi and got to the airport in about 10 minutes.

The outside skycap luggage service was empty and I used that.

security was empty and I breezed through that.

I was past security at 7:15am and waiting for my 9:10 flight.

everything worked perfectly for me but if it didn't there was still some room for small errors or lines.

your milage may vary.  

Not to be a "Mr. Negative" - but it might be worthwhile to check all arrivals for the day you desire to leave early.  We ported in Ft. Lauderdale, got off early, and faced a mob and delay due to multiple arrivals from many cruise lines.  There were just not enough taxis or shuttles to meet the demand.  

40 minutes ago, Allen2 said:

Not to be a "Mr. Negative" - but it might be worthwhile to check all arrivals for the day you desire to leave early.  We ported in Ft. Lauderdale, got off early, and faced a mob and delay due to multiple arrivals from many cruise lines.  There were just not enough taxis or shuttles to meet the demand.  

I agree, my Sunday arrival may have made it easier.

3 hours ago, 2ball said:

as a follow up to this if anyone searches, 

Fort lauderdale cruise port to Fort lauderdale airport, 9:10am flight.

I was in line with my luggage to leave the ship at 6:10am.

I actually got to leave at 6:40am.  I was one of the first 20 people off the ship.

I made it outside in about 10 minutes (maybe less).

There were at least 30 -50 taxis waiting.

I got in the taxi and got to the airport in about 10 minutes.

The outside skycap luggage service was empty and I used that.

security was empty and I breezed through that.

I was past security at 7:15am and waiting for my 9:10 flight.

everything worked perfectly for me but if it didn't there was still some room for small errors or lines.

your milage may vary.  

It’s certainly achievable but not advised because there are far too many variables. I’ve been held up for hours multiple times due to customs or a homeland security drill taking place. The majority of the time I make it home with a Starbucks coffee in hand by 7:15am.