Key question

mcfo

I purchased the Key and am a little confused. Several topics talk about Key purchasers showing up for boarding at 11 in order to attend the Key lunch provided. I am assigned a 12 arrival. Which time should I board and will I miss the lunch with a 12 arrival?

I believe I read on RCCL's site that if you have the "KEY" you have priority boarding WITHIN your boarding time schedule.  Also, the key, for boarding and carry-on luggage purposes is only good up to 1:30 PM of embarkation day.  You might want to go into royalcaribbean.com and read the fine print.  

Matt, of royalcaribbeanblogg.com doesn't recommend the "KEY" for what I believe is for good reasons.  It's just not a good program, too many IFs, ANDs, BUTs, restrictions, time constraints, additional cover charges, effort that the guest must accomplish, et al.  

I just copied and pasted what RCCL posts about the "KEY":

What's Included

• Priority access into the terminal (within booked arrival time) on Day 1.
  • Carry-on bag drop off and delivery to stateroom. Drop-off your carry-on bags in the Main Dining Room until 1:30pm.
  • Exclusive welcome lunch in the Main Dining Room featuring the Chops Grille Lunch menu.
  • Private time at onboard activities including Rock Climbing, FlowRider and more.
  • Priority departure at tender ports of call from ship-to-shore.
  • Seats in the exclusive VIP seating section at shows in the Main Theatre, Aqua Theater, Studio B and Two70 (reservation is needed).
  • VOOM ® Surf & Stream 1 Device high speed internet.
  • On debarkation day, enjoy an exclusive à la carte breakfast and choice departure.

13 minutes ago, jay1021 said:

I believe I read on RCCL's site that if you have the "KEY" you have priority boarding WITHIN your boarding time schedule.  Also, the key, for boarding and carry-on luggage purposes is only good up to 1:30 PM of embarkation day.  You might want to go into royalcaribbean.com and read the fine print.  

Matt, of royalcaribbeanblogg.com doesn't recommend the "KEY" for what I believe is for good reasons.  It's just not a good program, too many IFs, ANDs, BUTs, restrictions, time constraints, additional cover charges, effort that the guest must accomplish, et al.  

What's Included

• Carry-on bag drop off and delivery to stateroom. Drop-off your carry-on bags in the Main Dining Room until 1:30pm.
  • Exclusive welcome lunch in the Main Dining Room featuring the Chops Grille Lunch menu.
  • Private time at onboard activities including Rock Climbing, FlowRider and more.
  • Seats in the exclusive VIP seating section at shows in the Main Theatre, Aqua Theater, Studio B and Two70 (reservation is needed).
  • On debarkation day, enjoy an exclusive à la carte breakfast and choice departure.

Have had the Key twice in the last couple months, the week of embarkation you receive an email saying to came at 11:00 regardless of booking time.

The economics of it are a personal thing.  What is valuable to some is not valuable to other.  Ship, itinerary, and style of cruising all go into the equation.

The boarding day carry on drop is only good until 1:30, because after that the rooms are open, and there is no need for the service any longer; I have been on ships when room availability has been delayed, and they extended this benefit.

I do not understand your comment regarding additional cover charges, and/or effort on the guests part; this has never been my experience. Pre Covid, the priority seating at shows was an incredible benefit.

The tender benefit, for me, is moot.  I only look at the Key on Oasis class ships, and they do not tender, so I have never used this benefit.

I won't buy unless the price is right, but at the right price, on an Oasis class ship, I have never had buyers remorse.

37 minutes ago, TXcruzer said:

Have had the Key twice in the last couple months, the week of embarkation you receive an email saying to came at 11:00 regardless of booking time.  I haven't had the "KEY", I'm just going off of what RCCL's site says and I quoted it.

The economics of it are a personal thing.  What is valuable to some is not valuable to other.  Ship, itinerary, and style of cruising all go into the equation.  Totally agree, what's good for one is not necessarily good for another.  

The boarding day carry on drop is only good until 1:30, because after that the rooms are open, and there is no need for the service any longer; I have been on ships when room availability has been delayed, and they extended this benefit.  Unless you don't want to go to your cabin right away.  I know when I embark, I'm usually very hungry and would like to go right to a restaurant without lugging my carry-ons along.

I do not understand your comment regarding additional cover charges, and/or effort on the guests part; this has never been my experience. Pre Covid, the priority seating at shows was an incredible benefit.  You still have to make reservations at restaurants which isn't a guarantee you can get in on the time you like or anytime.  I may be wrong about the cover charge.  I did read an additional $10.00 will be charged at Izumi but that might have been on another package.  

The tender benefit, for me, is moot.  I only look at the Key on Oasis class ships, and they do not tender, so I have never used this benefit.  Exactly, it's a non-benefit for people like you and for people like me that only cruise to ports that have docks for the cruise ships that I'm on.  So, you pay for something that isn't going to be used.  Also, based on age, physical capabilities, and other factors, priority times for the Rock Climbing, FlowRider and others is a non-benefit that is being paid for.

I won't buy unless the price is right, but at the right price, on an Oasis class ship, I have never had buyers remorse.  I'm glad it worked out will for you.  For about $600.00 extra, I'll pass.

My one big mistake when I posted my first post in this thread is that it was my opinion.  But, I did say in my first two words, "I believe".

18 minutes ago, jay1021 said:

The cover charges and reservations you quote is for the unlimited dining package.

I agree with you $600 is way too much' the last several times I have bought the Key i paid maybe $50 over what i would have spent for the internet alone.

7 minutes ago, TXcruzer said:

The cover charges and reservations you quote is for the unlimited dining package.

I agree with you $600 is way too much' the last several times I have bought the Key i paid maybe $50 over what i would have spent for the internet alone.

• Seats in the exclusive VIP seating section at shows in the Main Theatre, Aqua Theater, Studio B and Two70 (reservation is needed)".

I would expect that if you buy the "KEY" RCCL would make it a special time (to show up w/o reservations made by the guest(s)) or locations in the those venues. Again, reservations are only as good as they are available.  

But, enough is enough.  I just don't think it's a good program, for at least us and I think other's should make an informed decision.  As stated, what is good for you may not be good for me.  Choices are wonderful!

I get the Key when the price is right for me. That’s usually when it costs a little more than a single Voom package. Sometimes I book it at a higher price just to lock it in…if the price drops later on, I’ll rebook the cheaper price before I cancel the first one.
But, I cruise solo and only have to pay once for me. 
My reasons getting it are….early boarding (even though I have been successful getting an early boarding time, so far), the carry-on and jacket drop off, the Chops lunch, the Voom WiFi (even though I get full cruise Voom anyway, I like having both devices on their own, rather than switching back and forth…lots of my programs have OTP verification)…plus, I really like early disembarkation. On the Anthem, Key members are among the first in line at the earliest walk-off time. I know it’s a splurge on myself but, hey…I deserve it!😜

23 hours ago, jay1021 said:

What's Included

Other than VOOM, aren't these almost most of the same perks you get with a Junior Suite?

6 minutes ago, Safemike1 said:

Other than VOOM, aren't these almost most of the same perks you get with a Junior Suite?

Purdy much 😃

6 minutes ago, Safemike1 said:

!

9 minutes ago, Safemike1 said:

7 minutes ago, jay1021 said:

Purdy much 😃

!

No, you don’t get ANY of these perks in a Junior Suite. Being in a suite gets you +- one hour on your boarding time, but not guaranteed first priority 

33 minutes ago, TXcruzer said:

No, you don’t get ANY of these perks in a Junior Suite. Being in a suite gets you +- one hour on your boarding time, but not guaranteed first priority 

A Jr Suite is part of the Sea Class.  It gets you the Coastal Kitchen.  Well, read it here:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/what-are-the-benefits-of-royal-suite-class

Is it exactly like the "KEY", probably not. But, it's "Purdy much" the same as far as the value of bennies are concerned.  Plus, Royal Suites get double loyalty points. 

You enjoy your cruise, I'll enjoy mine.     

EDITED IN:  BTW, the listings of the amenities don't show everything.  For example, you can go to the dinning room, show your suite card and they will take you ahead of most everybody else to a table.  Crew tend to bend over backwards, even more than usual, for suite guests.  There are several Royal Suite Class benefits that aren't mentioned on the site.  

48 minutes ago, jay1021 said:

A Jr Suite is part of the Sea Class.  It gets you the Coastal Kitchen.  Well, read it here:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/what-are-the-benefits-of-royal-suite-class

Is it exactly like the "KEY", probably not. But, it's "Purdy much" the same as far as the value of bennies are concerned.  Plus, Royal Suites get double loyalty points. 

You enjoy your cruise, I'll enjoy mine.     

EDITED IN:  BTW, the listings of the amenities don't show everything.  For example, you can go to the dinning room, show your suite card and they will take you ahead of most everybody else to a table.  Crew tend to bend over backwards, even more than usual, for suite guests.  There are several Royal Suite Class benefits that aren't mentioned on the site.  

Sure, a Jr suite gets you the opportunity to go to coastal kitchen, no guarantees. The Key has NOTHING to do with CK. No crossover benefit there. 

No one is bending over to prioritize seating at the dining room for someone with a KEY on their card (I’ve never experienced it in a suite either) regardless no cross over of benefits. 

The only bennies of a junior suite over a standard balcony room (other than the size of the room, a possible walk in closet, and bathtub) is double points, the possibility of a CK reservation, and use of the suites line during embarkation. 

I always enjoy my cruises, and I hope you do as well, but the Key is not “purdy much” like booking a Junior Suite. 

7 minutes ago, TXcruzer said:

Sure, a Jr suite gets you the opportunity to go to coastal kitchen, no guarantees. The Key has NOTHING to do with CK. No crossover benefit there. 

No one is bending over to prioritize seating at the dining room for someone with a KEY on their card (I’ve never experienced it in a suite either) regardless no cross over of benefits. 

I always enjoy my cruises, and I hope you do as well, but the Key is not “purdy much” like booking a Junior Suite. 

And you are entitled to your own opinion.  Mine just happens to be way different than yours.  I don't look for "cross over" benefits, I look for overall value.  I DON'T BELIEVE "THE KEY" OFFERS THE VALUE I DESIRE.  Apparently, I'm not the only one!  You do you, I'll do me!

I'm going to stop with you.  I feel you are just looking for an argument.  

3 hours ago, jay1021 said:

And you are entitled to your own opinion.  Mine just happens to be way different than yours.  I don't look for "cross over" benefits, I look for overall value.  I DON'T BELIEVE "THE KEY" OFFERS THE VALUE I DESIRE.  Apparently, I'm not the only one!  You do you, I'll do me!

I'm going to stop with you.  I feel you are just looking for an argument.  

You are the one that said the perks were pretty much the same between the key and a Junior suite, I was merely correcting you. Evidently you aren’t accustomed to being corrected. 

18 minutes ago, TXcruzer said:

You are the one that said the perks were pretty much the same between the key and a Junior suite, I was merely correcting you. Evidently you aren’t accustomed to being corrected. 

I wasn't going to get into this anymore.  But, this is tooooooo rich to pass up.  

No, I'm not the one that SAID the perks pretty much the same between the key and the Junior suite.  No, I responded to a person that hinted/suggested/asked.  I said with a smiley face after it, "Purdy Much".  MEANING it wasn't a serious answer but I suspected and I was right, you'd react negatively.  Next, if you read my 2nd or 3rd response to you, I said I may have been wrong with the "cover charge" part.  So, I am very much humble and CAN take being corrected.  When I'm wrong, I have no problem admitting to it.

Goodbye!