Carrying the Seapass and Soda Cup

KDK

Hi! First time cruising on a large ship like Allure. 

I was wondering if the Seapasses come on a lanyard or whether I should be bringing lanyards from home. Also, do people bring a holder for their soda cup or just toss it in their bag when it is empty? 

Thanks so much!

SeaPasses do not come on a lanyard. Royal sells some logo lanyards onboard, or you can bring your own from home (cheaper and your choice of style, color & selection).  I've also seen people put adhesive card holders on the back of their smart phones for their SeaPass cards rather than using a lanyard. 

I've only seen people carry their Coca Cola Freestyle soda cups around, so can't really answer if folks bring a holder for those.

6 minutes ago, Leighq said:

I have a lanyard and my cup will be yes tossed in my day bag then washed thru the day!

Thanks, Leigh. So are you saying that you have to bring a lanyard from home or it comes with one? Sorry, I was a bit unclear. 

The "Seapass Card" doesn't come on a lanyard.  We just purchased and received the following:  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09F2HZT52?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

They are retractable and of a hard plastic design.  

We also purchased:  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B099W49R45?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

No, I am not affiliated with Amazon in any way, shape, or form other than being a Prime member.  😀

6 minutes ago, jay1021 said:

The "Seapass Card" doesn't come on a lanyard.  We just purchased and received the following:  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09F2HZT52?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

They are retractable and of a hard plastic design.  

We also purchased:  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B099W49R45?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

No, I am not affiliated with Amazon in any way, shape, or form other than being a Prime member.  😀

Oh, yes!  Those Passport holders with the window for the vax card are great.  Got one right before my last cruise, and it helped speed things up going through check-in at the port.  Plus I was less worried about losing or damaging my card.

Amazon sells a wide variety of card holders and lanyards, including several "cruise-themed" ones.  There are lots of options available.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=cruise+lanyard+for+ship+cards&i=office-products&crid=1EXQQFGXD8RJF&sprefix=cruise+%2Coffice-products%2C82&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_1_7

8 minutes ago, EmptyNestTravels said:

Oh, yes!  Those Passport holders with the window for the vax card are great.  Got one right before my last cruise, and it helped speed things up going through check-in at the port.  Plus I was less worried about losing or damaging my card.

Amazon sells a wide variety of card holders and lanyards, including several "cruise-themed" ones.  There are lots of options available.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=cruise+lanyard+for+ship+cards&i=office-products&crid=1EXQQFGXD8RJF&sprefix=cruise+%2Coffice-products%2C82&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_1_7

Yep, lots of lanyards available, for sure.  One last thing I'd like to recommend to most cruisers, most people don't realize that the cabin walls on a cruise ship are metal.  So, if you take a lot of "stuff" along with you when you cruise, these magnetic hooks come in really handy.  We cruised once with 14 of my closest family members in the Family Villa on the Symphony and my son-in-law used our hooks to string Christmas lights throughout the cabin.  It was great.  We also use the hooks to hang wet (but not dripping) swim suites, towels, shirts, belts, etc.  https://www.amazon.com/Powerful-Refrigerator-Magnetic-Neodymium-Upgraded/dp/B07QSJ6Q72/ref=sr_1_9?crid=2F3BQ3WVYSF43&keywords=magnetic+hooks+for+cruise+cabins&qid=1647705448&sprefix=magnetic+%2Caps%2C100&sr=8-9

24 minutes ago, KDK said:

Thanks, Leigh. So are you saying that you have to bring a lanyard from home or it comes with one? Sorry, I was a bit unclear. 

I bring one from home ordered thru Amazon!   My husband is using one of his nascar lanyards that has a clear pouch usually used for tickets and cash and his CC

Keep in mind Allure still uses a swipe style SeaPass card. What this means is having the card in a pouch can be a pain, needing to remove it for room access or making purchases. Flip side, the card is safe to have a hole punched in it.

Me personally, I've always had a bias towards a lanyard with a bottom removable clip: https://amazon.com/gp/product/B01DLMCH7W

Keep this in mind when using a lanyard. The sea pass cards Royal is now issuing CAN NOT be perforated to be used with a lanyard and metal clip. I asked while recently on board. Apparently, the new sea pass cards have more wiring in them than previously. Lanyard and plastic sleeve is one of the ways to go.  😎

9 minutes ago, rjac said:

Keep this in mind when using a lanyard. The sea pass cards Royal is now issuing CAN NOT be perforated to be used with a lanyard and metal clip. I asked while recently on board. Apparently, the new sea pass cards have more wiring in them than previously. Lanyard and plastic sleeve is one of the ways to go.  😎

Depends on ship still. All Quantum class ships use RFID/tap style.  All Oasis class (exception of Allure) ships use RFID/tap style. Think Freedom is the only other ship using RFID/tap style. All other ships use the mag strip/swipe style cards.

3 hours ago, KDK said:

Hi! First time cruising on a large ship like Allure. 

I was wondering if the Seapasses come on a lanyard or whether I should be bringing lanyards from home. Also, do people bring a holder for their soda cup or just toss it in their bag when it is empty? 

Thanks so much!

They do not  come on a lanyard.

You can probably purchase a cheap lanyard at a dollar store.  If the seapass card is not RFID (wired inside) you can have Guest Services hole punch your seapass card so it can go on your lanyard.  I do this for my Oasis sailings.

If the seapass card IS RFID then you might want a plastic card holder that attaches to the lanyard to slip your seapass card into. Additionally, if the ship is like Anthem, where the seapass card has to be slipped into the card holder inside the door to activate the lights you might want to bring along a spare card for that purpose.  I had guest services punch a hole in a shoppers club card and I attached it to a spare lanyard  and kept it near my door....that way I could use it for the light system and not have to bother putting my seapass card for the room in and out of the plastic holder.   

I've never had a problem handing over my seapass card in my thick plastic ID holder, it has always been read by the ship card readers.

I've never used a soda cup so I cannot offer any input for that.

I typically put the seapass card in a plastic pouch on a lanyard, or in one of the "credit card" slots on my  phone.

The cup....if it's in my stateroom it sits there forever and is still there when I leave - if I have to pick it up I never pick it up.  They are a colossal pain in the butt.

3 hours ago, Pattycruise said:

They do not  come on a lanyard.

You can probably purchase a cheap lanyard at a dollar store.  If the seapass card is not RFID (wired inside) you can have Guest Services hole punch your seapass card so it can go on your lanyard.  I do this for my Oasis sailings.

If the seapass card IS RFID then you might want a plastic card holder that attaches to the lanyard to slip your seapass card into. Additionally, if the ship is like Anthem, where the seapass card has to be slipped into the card holder inside the door to activate the lights you might want to bring along a spare card for that purpose.  I had guest services punch a hole in a shoppers club card and I attached it to a spare lanyard  and kept it near my door....that way I could use it for the light system and not have to bother putting my seapass card for the room in and out of the plastic holder.   

I've never had a problem handing over my seapass card in my thick plastic ID holder, it has always been read by the ship card readers.

I've never used a soda cup so I cannot offer any input for that.

Yep, I trimmed a piece of thin cardboard the same size of a credit card and used that.  In fact, I forgot that it was there, left it in the slot and the attendant(s) never removed it.  Lights on when I entered the cabin.  I can't remember which ship that was on, though!

I agree, the cup is a Royal Pain to haul around, so I don't.  But I sure have a cupboard full of them still in the wrapper.🥛

The final straw for me, was on a cruise, the self-serve soda machines stunk so badly, 🦨 I've never again attempted to use them. 

I'm much better off with the deluxe or refreshment package, going to any bar and asking for a soda pop...in the can or in a glass, my choice.🧋

I carry a very small cross-body pouch that has room for just my phone and has a zipper space I can keep the card and/or other card/cash.  

I tend to use the cup to keep getting ice and pouring in cans of water throughout the day/night. I’ve never seen any holder for them, though. 

Late to the conversation, but like others I have never used my cup.  The machines are not always ideally located.  I.E. easier to show your sea pass card at the bar than carrying that cup and walking from the pool to WJ.  

My husband does use it, but only in the a.m.  he goes to the freestyle machine and gets Powerade before he hits the gym.  The rest of the day it sits on the dresser.

We stopped using lanyards yrs ago.  I also don't do the phone wallet/slots.  Found it too annoying.  I always take a pool bag with me during the day....towel clips, kindle, phone, sunblock etc.  So I just throw both of ours in my bag. That bag goes with me to the pool or port excursions. 

Putting it on a lanyard, you're just going to have to take it every time you want to go in the water.  Putting it in a sleeve you're just going to have fight getting it out when the wait staff at the Solarium comes around for your drink order. 

When we go to dinner or shows at night my husband than takes mine with him and places it in his wallet. 

Third reason...., due to our jobs, my hubby have multiple ones in our house since we need to wear them daily.  They get dirty.  Now think about this....7 night Caribbean cruise in May ...how much sunblock are you slathering on you everyday?  Now, let's add the sweat, around the back of your neck, your hands every time you yank down on it mixed with sunblock.   Not done yet....wearing it for dinner to use for your beverage package, wear perfume or cologne and you have a cacophony of lovely odors.  

In no way am I a germaphobe, (I work retail management), but after the 1st cruise long ago when they would hole punch your card we have never done it again.  Take a picture of the neck area for the lanyard before you where it and the day you get home.  It just made me go....yuck....hence, why no more lanyards.