What are some things onboard the ship that just make you cringe?

14 minutes ago, CruisingNewb said:

Leave me a duck. hide it somewhere good. (hope you understand what I am saying...apparently its a thing)

Funny, I was just thinking of that.  I was trying to think of something more appropriate to the conversation, but humorously though.  We'll see.  On May the 21st or 22nd you may have a message in here with a hint. 

To he honest, I've met with people that I had some serious "discussions" with on a now defunked Motorcycle message board and we turned out to be great long distance friends and have met at social gatherings to share in adult beverage, many times since.  

Believe me when I say, this tread and a couple of discussions within it aren't anything like the serious "discussions" we had on the defunked message board.  

boat

bōt

noun

1. A relatively small, usually open craft of a size that might be carried aboard a ship.
  2. An inland vessel of any size.
  3. A ship or submarine.
ship

shĭp

noun

1. A vessel of considerable size for deep-water navigation.
  2. A sailing vessel having three or more square-rigged masts.
  3. An aircraft or spacecraft.

8 minutes ago, jay1021 said:

Funny, I was just thinking of that.  I was trying to think of something more appropriate to the conversation, but humorously though.  We'll see.  On May the 21st or 22nd you may have a message in here with a hint. 

To he honest, I've met with people that I had some serious "discussions" with on a now defunked Motorcycle message board and we turned out to be great long distance friends and have met at social gatherings to share in adult beverage, many times since.  

Believe me when I say, this tread and a couple of discussions within it aren't anything like the serious "discussions" we had on the defunked message board.  

My friends and circle of acquaintances are purposefully diverse and we don't always see eye to eye on the "serious" stuff...but that is how we learn and grow.  Hopefully you leave me a duck that isn't found by someone in the cruise between yours and mine.  Feel free to leave a note with a few jabs...I have fairly thick skin and can appreciate humor. Do me a favor though, don't lick it or piss on it...I don't respond kindly to germ warfare.  See?  Not all "confrontations" turn out bad! 🤪

7 minutes ago, jay1021 said:
boat

bōt

noun

1. A relatively small, usually open craft of a size that might be carried aboard a ship.
  3. A ship or submarine.
ship

shĭp

noun

Next, you are going to say the proper term is to "chunk" something.  Believe me, you are incorrect.  The monkeys aren't "chunking" poop at you.  They are "chucking" poop at you.

1 hour ago, jay1021 said:
boat

bōt

noun

3. A ship or submarine.
ship

shĭp

noun

So.... a boat can be a ship, but a ship cannot be a boat (based on the definitions)?

15 minutes ago, jay1021 said:

Coke!  No matter what it is, if it is flavored carbonated water, it's Coke!  

You are from the south.  LOL!  I spend some time in the south....you order a Coke and then the server asks you....what kind....

Although sweet tea is still the most popular.

1 hour ago, CruisingNewb said:

Woah, woah, woah....When you are in the midwest, its ALWAYS "pop."  When you are on the West Coast, its always "soda" unless you are a pretentious snob and call it flavored carbonated water. 😆

I'm in the Midwest where people say "pop" and I absolutely DEPLORE it.  It's sounds so childish.  I grew up decades ago.  

18 hours ago, Chuck586 said:

Those of us on the great lakes often refer to ships as boats.  Kind of like some people refer to pop as soda....downright cringeworthy...lol

Pop and soda are regional dialect differences (like lollipop vs. sucker). There are even some places that refer to ALL soft drinks as "coke" as in:  "I'll have a coke." "What kind?" "Pepsi, please."

Ships and boats are different by definition.

• 2 months later...
12 hours ago, TotalFascnation said:

Isn’t gratuity included. So everybody tips right?

Some people opt not to have gratuities included, or remove them from their account, so they can tip at their discretion. I think some of these don't tip at all, but have no proof of this.

On 3/23/2022 at 11:03 PM, fireclan said:

I'll take this soda or pop idea a bit further...when we moved to a very rural county on Maryland's eastern shore 30+ years ago, we learned the older (our age) locals call Coke or Pepsi that comes in a can a "machine soda" which they shorten to 'chine soda. Gotta love local dialect.

Growing up in Glasgow, Scotland, the word we used for pop/soda was "ginger". Don't ask me why! 

Im just happy to be able to travel again.  Usually nothing will be as grand as you think, nor as bad as you think.  My wife and i are annoyed by some things, we usually just try and laugh it off, dont let it ruin your day.  You are on a cruise, chances are there is some place on the ship you can go and enjoy.   If the worst thing that happens to me today is dealing with a screaming kid at breakfast or waiting an extra minute for my drink, ive had a pretty good day.