What are some things onboard the ship that just make you cringe?

1 hour ago, Psycho and Barb said:

People in the windjammer taking food…Taking a bite and then putting it back.  Actually happened and one of the workers had to remove the whole container of food 

People vaping in the theater…Thinking no one would notice.

Someone not waiting for people to get off an elevator before getting on.

People playing their music on Bluetooth speakers loud enough for the whole ship to hear.

Oh, I forgot about that one, "Someone not waiting for people to get off an elevator before getting on".  That really frosts my a$$.  I usually say loudly when this happens, "It is always better for idiots (if children are present, I say "people" instead of idiots) to wait for people to get off of an elevator before trying to get in, especially when it is full".  I haven't had one person challenge me, yet!  That's as I stand in the middle of the door/opening.  

Line-cutters and seat-savers. No, it doesn’t matter that you just have a quick question; there’s still a line of people at guest services, all trying to get answers to their quick questions. No, it doesn’t matter that you got here on time and your three-generation family is on its way; all the people you are shooing away from “your” seats actually cared enough about the show for their entire party to be on time. 

8 hours ago, GKMCruising said:

As someone with a 2.5 year old, I agree completely. If she's in a bad mood / tired / whatever, I'm not going to try and bring her out in public, I'm going to figure out some way to get her mood fixed before we ever leave the room. 

I felt terrible on our cruise on Ovation last September - she was jet lagged and had a total screaming meltdown in the MDR first night of the cruise. I took her out, walked her around, all to no avail. Finally wound up just taking her back to our stateroom and having the rest of our dinner brought up. I'm pretty sure we made an older couple that was in there that night decide not to come back for the rest of the cruise... but she was good as gold the rest of the week. 

Every child will have thr occasional meltdown. It's how it gets handled by the parents that is important.

I applaud you for not backing down and most importantly for respecting the other diners that were around you.

16 hours ago, jay1021 said:

Non-parenting parents.  I never blame kids or dogs for the lack of parenting.  Many parents I just want to ......., well, I won't get violent here.  To all non-parenting parents, take control of you yelling, screaming, running, running around the dinning room yelling and screaming, tasting stuff on the buffet and then putting it back, licking the windows, throwing food all over the eating facility, babies with non-stop crying/screaming in dinning rooms/restaurants/snack bars without any reaction by parents, et al.  I don't take a cruise to parent YOUR kids, the cruise lines is not your babysitter except for the appropriate facilities.  If you can't parent you kids, don't take them out in public, especially in a closed environment like a cruise ship.  

My opinion is:  Businesses, especially cruise lines tend to say when you complain about bad behaving kids, "Well, this is a family friendly cruise line".  Fine, I don't have a problem with that.  However, they have to remember that there are other categories of cruisers on the ship, too.  Besides this topic, I'm not a complainer.  But, when I do complain and it takes a lot for me to complain, I expect something to be done.  

JMHO

I get what you're saying, but as the parent of a special needs child, I ask you to consider that the child you perceive as misbehaving may actually be dysregulated due to a disability or special need you aren't aware of. They may be autistic, have adhd or anxiety, or another condition that may not be immediately visible to you. Royal Caribbean in particular is extremely autism friendly, so a lot of parents of autistic children choose to travel on RC. And while yes, some parents "don't parent", in the case of a special needs child, it can be extremely difficult to calm them or anticipate a trigger, especially in a new environment like a cruise ship. I'd also encourage you to look up "strategic ignoring" or "tactical ignoring", which is a recognized technic for eliminating bad behavior in children with or without special needs. Just because a parent isn't parenting their child the way you feel is appropriate doesn't mean they are not parenting in a way that a medical professional has advised them. And in response to your "if you can't parent your kids, don't take them out in public," I could just as easily say, "if you can't handle being around kids, you shouldn't cruise on a family friendly cruise line." There are cruise lines that cater to pretty much anyone, including those who don't want to deal with kids (ex. Virgin Voyages). It is your choice to choose a ship that caters to families with young children. Any family who is on that boat, who paid the same cruise fare you did (or likely more, given that accessible rooms and/or staterooms that hold more people tend to cost significantly more than two-person staterooms, as there are fewer of them on the ship) has the right to be there and enjoy their vacation, just as you do (and trust me, if a special needs child has a public meltdown, believe me that the parents likely are far more mortified and shaken by it than you are, even if they don't outwardly express it). And finally, I ask you to consider that families of children with disabilities and/or special needs, particularly autism, likely already feel stigmatized and isolated enough without reading comments like yours. And this should go without saying, but families of children with disabilities and special needs don't need to stay out of the public. They have every right to be there, just as you do. 

On 3/19/2022 at 8:56 AM, Leighq said:

One thing I hope I see is people having fun and people just being grateful to be able to cruise and just forget about the real world for a week and be excited and have passion in life.  

I saw this a lot on Oasis. I hope that the majority of us don’t ever forget the shutdown of the industry and how grateful we were to cruise again. I had tears in my eyes as I boarded. I knew I missed sailing, but didn’t realize how much till I was there. And maybe I had my rose colored glasses on thru that voyage, because I don’t really remember much negative behavior around me. 🙂

Had a 20-something woman cut in front of a bunch of us in line.  The person she cut in front of gently said, "sorry... there's a line" (pointing at said obvious line).  She drunkenly waved around her SeaPass card and said, indignantly, "I'm in a suite."  It was so... I don't even know.  We all just looked at each other and laughed and let her go about her suite-ness.

20 hours ago, Psycho and Barb said:

People in the windjammer taking food…Taking a bite and then putting it back.  Actually happened and one of the workers had to remove the whole container of food 

People vaping in the theater…Thinking no one would notice.

Someone not waiting for people to get off an elevator before getting on.

People playing their music on Bluetooth speakers loud enough for the whole ship to hear.

Oh, I completely forgot about how annoying the elevator issue is. It burns me up when people don’t understand elevator etiquette in regards to entry & exit. 

9 hours ago, CelticB23 said:

I get what you're saying, but as the parent of a special needs child, I ask you to consider that the child you perceive as misbehaving may actually be dysregulated due to a disability or special need you aren't aware of. They may be autistic, have adhd or anxiety, or another condition that may not be immediately visible to you. Royal Caribbean in particular is extremely autism friendly, so a lot of parents of autistic children choose to travel on RC. And while yes, some parents "don't parent", in the case of a special needs child, it can be extremely difficult to calm them or anticipate a trigger, especially in a new environment like a cruise ship. I'd also encourage you to look up "strategic ignoring" or "tactical ignoring", which is a recognized technic for eliminating bad behavior in children with or without special needs. Just because a parent isn't parenting their child the way you feel is appropriate doesn't mean they are not parenting in a way that a medical professional has advised them. And in response to your "if you can't parent your kids, don't take them out in public," I could just as easily say, "if you can't handle being around kids, you shouldn't cruise on a family friendly cruise line." There are cruise lines that cater to pretty much anyone, including those who don't want to deal with kids (ex. Virgin Voyages). It is your choice to choose a ship that caters to families with young children. Any family who is on that boat, who paid the same cruise fare you did (or likely more, given that accessible rooms and/or staterooms that hold more people tend to cost significantly more than two-person staterooms, as there are fewer of them on the ship) has the right to be there and enjoy their vacation, just as you do (and trust me, if a special needs child has a public meltdown, believe me that the parents likely are far more mortified and shaken by it than you are, even if they don't outwardly express it). And finally, I ask you to consider that families of children with disabilities and/or special needs, particularly autism, likely already feel stigmatized and isolated enough without reading comments like yours. And this should go without saying, but families of children with disabilities and special needs don't need to stay out of the public. They have every right to be there, just as you do. 

You don't have to educate me on "special needs" children.  My family has many "special needs" children.  Many have been involved in the Make a Wish program  (I'm sure you know what that means).  My brother adopted almost 30 children from all over the world and each has their own "special needs", some severe and some not so severe.  I fully understand the issues surrounding a family with "special needs child(ren).  However, I know, for a fact, that whenever one or more of the kids start to have a melt down (or whatever you want to call it), they are taken from the otherwise tranquil setting where they don't interfere with the intended atmosphere.  Taken away in a calm and relaxing way as to continue to "ignore" the obvious stressful situation, in a way as to not let the child know that the movement isn't as a result of their behavior.  

Family friendly doesn't mean that all norms of common decency or respect need be set aside.  As far as how much I pay for a cruise, I don't know what that has to do with parenting.  But, just so you know, about 90% of my cruises are Star Class.  No, I'm not trying to be uppity.  Just the facts.  Also, I'm the proud parent of 2 successful daughters that as children did, on occasion, have meltdowns in public, such as restaurants and theaters.  We would calmly remove them for the immediate area, out of respect for everyone else, and wait for the meltdown to end.  

BTW, I never said, "families of children with disabilities and special needs don't need to stay out out the public".  All I'm saying is that parenting needs to be parenting, it's not a part-time job.  When your (your, meaning all parents, not you individually) kids are going beyond the norm, do something about it, consider all others and the norms.

Look, I don't want to turn this into a pi$$ing contest.  I don't know you and you don't know me.  I'm sure you are a great parent and you do what you feel you need to do for your child(ren).  I'm only asking that people/parents respect the norms of society for the situation/venue they are in.  It's not normal or respectful to be eating, in Chop's Grill for example, while a child (special needs or not) cries/screams almost endlessly and the parents just continue to eat and talk ignoring the child(ren).  I don't think it is too much to ask for wife and I to sit down and enjoy a meal without a child sitting within 3 or 4 feet from us, screaming for an extended period of time.  It's called common decency. 

I respect parents of "special needs" children.  They, most of them, are very hard working, dedicated to their child(ren) and put up with a lot. 

BTW, I would bet that the vast majority of kids running around the buffet, tasting food and putting it back (without parents even close by), moving furniture around, playing tag, yelling and screaming in a restaurant/theater, running into people (including people with "special needs") aren't "special needs kids.   

1 hour ago, jay1021 said:

My brother adopted almost 30 children from all over the world and each has their own "special needs", some severe and some not so severe. 

As an adoptive mom to a (now adult) child with special needs, I wanted to say that people like your brother are amazing. I know several families that adopt only special needs and/or terminal children, and they truly humble me. 🙂

2 hours ago, samcanadian said:

People that buy 19 pairs of the same type of shoes. 

If you look closely some still have tags on them, big market in UK for Adidas trainers even used ones. Can buy a pair for £80 on monday and put them on ebay for double that on the Tuesday. Some well worn pairs dating back 20 yrs can sell for £300 + depending on where they were made and if serial numbers are consecutive. 

Also photo is old, im up to 23 pairs now. I have shipped limited edition trainers and clothes in from abroad..thats how bad i am! Drives my wife nuts lol 

2 hours ago, tonyfsu21 said:

The countdown has begun to thread lockdown….

This thread itself is becoming cringeworthy.

The rest of my comments are directed to those who are taking things personally....

Cringe factor does not necessarily mean taking it to the next step and being confrontational.  Someone saves a poolside chair with a towel draped over it and doesn't show up for 45 minutes...cringeworthy.  Worth arguing about whilst on vacation, nope.  

I get the kids' behavioral thing...I get it. I too understand the special kids needs thing...but you don't know, only the family who is percieved to be "part-time" or "non" parenting know.  Don't assume.  Just cringe and get over it.  The cruise ships are large. Go elsewhere if it bothers you so much.  You are stuck on the same ship for anywhere between 3 and 14 nights....why start shit and make things awkward?  

Relax, breathe, let it go...

24 minutes ago, Leighq said:

What I hope for that I do see is kids having fun being kids and their parents or guardians having unmasked fun and maybe meeting lifelong friends plain and simple I want smiles and laughter flowing from one end of the wonder to the other.  We all waited so long for these days to come.  

Exactly. You can parent-shame all you want once you get off of the ship and back to reality.  Cruises are for fun.

5 hours ago, Leighq said:

What I hope for that I do see is kids having fun being kids and their parents or guardians having unmasked fun and maybe meeting lifelong friends plain and simple I want smiles and laughter flowing from one end of the wonder to the other.  We all waited so long for these days to come.  

Meeeeeee toooooo!  

Actual cringe-worthy.......is people who don't read and then act entitled. You know the type who will sit in marked/closed off seats then complain to guest service about how they were treated unfairly and asked to move.

People who record others without consent, in hope of increasing their popularity.

People who FaceTime on cruises and cause problems......not paying attention to where they are going, cutting lines etc. 

On 3/18/2022 at 11:44 PM, KDK said:

Having just gotten up the courage, after much support from my teenaged daughters, to actually be brave enough to show my cancer scars in a bathing suit on my upcoming cruise, I'm just crossing my fingers that I don't show up as a "cringe-worthy" line item on this lovely list. 

I for one will applaud - you've earned those scars!

11 hours ago, BowTieBrigade said:

Curious about what this is referring to

I saw several "influencers" recording people on Freedom that they thought looked bad, for their channels or tik toks. People are on vacation, if they want to wear thongs and show skin, let them be. Don't secretly record them. Just anybody recording people without consent and posting is cringy.

1 hour ago, Ampurp85 said:

I saw several "influencers" recording people on Freedom that they thought looked bad, for their channels or tik toks. People are on vacation, if they want to wear thongs and show skin, let them be. Don't secretly record them. Just anybody recording people without consent and posting is cringy.

Absolutely disgusting and wrong on every level possible and then some.  I am plus sized and have very good body image and I would have said something to a crew member!

10 hours ago, Leighq said:

Absolutely disgusting and wrong on every level possible and then some.  I am plus sized and have very good body image and I would have said something to a crew member!

I am also plus sized and want people to live their best life......if you have the confidence to wear next to nothing. Do you boo!

But the lack of common courtesy I have seen on cruises and daily life recently just makes me sad. I don't want to tell crew because those same people would probably take it out on them. They already have it hard enough dealing with ungrateful cruisers.

6 minutes ago, jay1021 said:

"Let's not be enemies though".  I think that is a good idea and I never had any intent to be otherwise, especially if none of what I commented about was about you.  I also think that you aren't getting the whole premise of what I was and am trying to do/say.  But, that's Okay.  I'm going to continue cruising, and if ANYONE is acting out of the norm, I'll either do something about it or not, depending on each and every situation.  

Aren't you on the Ovation in May?  Too bad. I am on it 2 weeks later.  We could have had  beer together.  

13 minutes ago, Chuck586 said:

Those of us on the great lakes often refer to ships as boats.  Kind of like some people refer to pop as soda....downright cringeworthy...lol

Woah, woah, woah....When you are in the midwest, its ALWAYS "pop."  When you are on the West Coast, its always "soda" unless you are a pretentious snob and call it flavored carbonated water. 😆