What are some things onboard the ship that just make you cringe?

After a few times on the ships I have seen a few things that I just try to stay away from.  It's mostly people who are on the ship that you just fully expect to be an issue.

So for one is a grandmother with the grandkids and you can obviously tell the grandkids can do whatever.  Grandma says don't do that but they know there is nothing she will do to punish them so they feel free to do whatever anyway.  The one I saw the kids were acting like fools and even if someone was already on the elevators they would come in and hit every single button.  When they got on the elevators I got off.

Another was a guy who instantly said one thing in my mind.  Roid Rage.  Big beefy burly muscled guy who couldn't reach a post it note in the middle of his back, the type you would see in the gym every single day for hours at a time.  What made it worse is this guy had on a shirt proudly stating he had the unlimited get drunk pass package.  The first thing that popped into my mind is this guy is going to get drunk and end up in a fight.  It just made me cringe to even be around them.

So what are the cringeworthy things you guys have seen on the ships.  I have seen video's of people so drunk they sat on the deck chairs and urinate themselves but I am sure there are a ton of other things out there.

11 minutes ago, fa-li said:

Political statement clothing. Of any leaning. I like to escape politics on vacation. 🍹

I remember one excursion in Nassau the bus driver made an off-hand comment about whoever the current US President was - either Obama or Trump, I don't remember the year - while trying to make small-talk with the guests getting on the shuttle. It did *not* endear him to anyone. 🤣

Not unique to cruising, but especially annoy when cruising.

Guys that want to see whose is bigger so they look tough to everyone around them.  They always seem to think I’m a challenge to them  

I just want to go about my day. I don’t care if you see me as a threat to your manhood.  I’m not going to fight on a ship and neither are you, so just go away.  

38 minutes ago, fa-li said:

Political statement clothing. Of any leaning. I like to escape politics on vacation. 🍹

Oh boy, this is a big one these days. I just dont understand the need to wear political clothing on a ship. All it does it serve to start arguments, or at the very least a lot of dirty looks.

8 minutes ago, Matt said:

Oh boy, this is a big one these days. I just dont understand the need to wear political clothing on a ship. All it does it serve to start arguments, or at the very least a lot of dirty looks.

Heck, I don't even wear that stuff in normal daily life. Do I have political opinions? Sure, but I don't need to advertise them to everyone I meet.

People who allow their young children to play as if they were at an outdoor playground when they are actually inside at the Cafe promenade. Kids were chasing each other around other occupied tables.

I really don't understand when it became acceptable for people to allow their children to bother other people.

People who gladly share their opinion that only certain size women should wear certain types of clothes and the boneheads that laugh with him (notably usually a man who has zero room to talk about someone else or ones that last succeeded at secondary school sports).

It is truly shocking to me when people are willing to speak about people in such insensitive and cruel ways (and those who choose to pile on).  No one is your families have a disability, illness, or difference so that you could manage the smallest bit of humanity or at least the sense to realize just how horrible you look to others when you prove you have none? People who say such things are far more disgusting to me than the people they complain about.

59 minutes ago, wordell1 said:

St Maarten is known for that. A lot of Europeans vacation there and it is common over there. I'm sure your husband wasn't complaining.

Yeah not sure it was an enjoyable eyeful and I thought that was on the French side??

1 hour ago, AlohaLivin said:

People who gladly share their opinion that only certain size women should wear certain types of clothes and the boneheads that laugh with him (notably usually a man who has zero room to talk about someone else or ones that last succeeded at secondary school sports).

I agree with you, it’s not a laughing matter. I actually am envious of the confidence a plus size male or female has to wear something that others would perceive as completely unflattering and not have a care in the world. 

19 hours ago, MuttMutt said:

Another was a guy who instantly said one thing in my mind.  Roid Rage.  Big beefy burly muscled guy who couldn't reach a post it note in the middle of his back, the type you would see in the gym every single day for hours at a time.  What made it worse is this guy had on a shirt proudly stating he had the unlimited get drunk pass package.  The first thing that popped into my mind is this guy is going to get drunk and end up in a fight.  It just made me cringe to even be around them.

I'm really at a loss at here.  Did this guy actually get drunk and behave obnoxiously?  Did he actually start a fight?  If he did either of those things it's not okay but I'm sure it's more about him as a person and nothing to do with his appearance.  This type of behaviour has been observed amongst all sorts.  If he did neither of these things you instantly thought of I'd suggest you are the problem.

I am the type of person that spends a lot of time in the gym to be healthy, compete in powerlifting, and to be in shape for my physically demanding career.  Truth be told I could not reach a post it note in the middle of back.  But I don't use steroids, I don't drink very much, and I don't fight people.  I'm a loving father, husband, and a fan of cruising.  While I'm way more interested in enjoying time with my family than what others think about me I find it "cringe-worthy" that there are people in the background being so judgemental about things that instantly pop into their minds. 

Your post has some validity about behavioural issues but you have seriously missed the mark by judging people based on their appearance or attributing an individuals poor behaviour to having a direct correlation to how they happen to look. 

One thing we can agree on is elevators that stop at every floor.  Take care!    

I have issues with people who let's their children cause chaos while they sit and relax.

I'm a mom myself so its nothing specifically against kids. But you actually have to parent them. If you have to pick your kid up in the middle of a tantrum and exit the room, I totally get it and will give you a solidarity head nod with "been there" look. But if you are going to sit down drinking while your kids cquse mayhem and just look the other way....not ok.

7 hours ago, KDK said:

Having just gotten up the courage, after much support from my teenaged daughters, to actually be brave enough to show my cancer scars in a bathing suit on my upcoming cruise, I'm just crossing my fingers that I don't show up as a "cringe-worthy" line item on this lovely list. 

Congratulations on the positive outcome of being able to show off those scars.

Very cringe-worthy! On sail out day, I saw a father lift up his very precocious and squirming toddler, and actually sit her up on the railing on the pool deck to take a selfie. One hand trying to keep her still and another hand extending his cell phone. I think everyone who saw this all started to yell at the same time, but a crew member was right there and had him immediately take her down. ***after trying to type the rest of what I was thinking at that time, I think I’ll just leave this comment G-rated and move along***

1 hour ago, BrianB said:

Very cringe-worthy! On sail out day, I saw a father lift up his very precocious and squirming toddler, and actually sit her up on the railing on the pool deck to take a selfie. One hand trying to keep her still and another hand extending his cell phone. I think everyone who saw this all started to yell at the same time, but a crew member was right there and had him immediately take her down. ***after trying to type the rest of what I was thinking at that time, I think I’ll just leave this comment G-rated and move along***

Every other post on this thread can be taken as tongue in cheek! Things we may find funny, annoying or just plain stupid but most of us would just laugh them off as its not really anything to do with us how people look or behave.

However your post is probably the one that everyone would stand up and say something given previous tragic events. 

Non-parenting parents.  I never blame kids or dogs for the lack of parenting.  Many parents I just want to ......., well, I won't get violent here.  To all non-parenting parents, take control of you yelling, screaming, running, running around the dinning room yelling and screaming, tasting stuff on the buffet and then putting it back, licking the windows, throwing food all over the eating facility, babies with non-stop crying/screaming in dinning rooms/restaurants/snack bars without any reaction by parents, et al.  I don't take a cruise to parent YOUR kids, the cruise lines is not your babysitter except for the appropriate facilities.  If you can't parent you kids, don't take them out in public, especially in a closed environment like a cruise ship.  

My opinion is:  Businesses, especially cruise lines tend to say when you complain about bad behaving kids, "Well, this is a family friendly cruise line".  Fine, I don't have a problem with that.  However, they have to remember that there are other categories of cruisers on the ship, too.  Besides this topic, I'm not a complainer.  But, when I do complain and it takes a lot for me to complain, I expect something to be done.  

JMHO

1 hour ago, jay1021 said:

Non-parenting parents.  I never blame kids or dogs for the lack of parenting.  Many parents I just want to ......., well, I won't get violent here.  To all non-parenting parents, take control of you yelling, screaming, running, running around the dinning room yelling and screaming, tasting stuff on the buffet and then putting it back, licking the windows, throwing food all over the eating facility, babies with non-stop crying/screaming in dinning rooms/restaurants/snack bars without any reaction by parents, et al.  I don't take a cruise to parent YOUR kids, the cruise lines is not your babysitter except for the appropriate facilities.  If you can't parent you kids, don't take them out in public, especially in a closed environment like a cruise ship.  

My opinion is:  Businesses, especially cruise lines tend to say when you complain about bad behaving kids, "Well, this is a family friendly cruise line".  Fine, I don't have a problem with that.  However, they have to remember that there are other categories of cruisers on the ship, too.  Besides this topic, I'm not a complainer.  But, when I do complain and it takes a lot for me to complain, I expect something to be done.  

JMHO

As someone with a 2.5 year old, I agree completely. If she's in a bad mood / tired / whatever, I'm not going to try and bring her out in public, I'm going to figure out some way to get her mood fixed before we ever leave the room. 

I felt terrible on our cruise on Ovation last September - she was jet lagged and had a total screaming meltdown in the MDR first night of the cruise. I took her out, walked her around, all to no avail. Finally wound up just taking her back to our stateroom and having the rest of our dinner brought up. I'm pretty sure we made an older couple that was in there that night decide not to come back for the rest of the cruise... but she was good as gold the rest of the week. 

People in the windjammer taking food…Taking a bite and then putting it back.  Actually happened and one of the workers had to remove the whole container of food 

People vaping in the theater…Thinking no one would notice.

Someone not waiting for people to get off an elevator before getting on.

People playing their music on Bluetooth speakers loud enough for the whole ship to hear.