CVS Covid Testing Change…

BrianB

I just got my Antigen test done at CVS. This is the tenth time I’ve had it done there since September for my cruises and today was completely different. Instead of going into the ‘pod’…or mini-trailer…in the parking lot for a quick nose swipe, followed by an email an hour or two later with the results, there is a new procedure.  
Now I have to go into the Minute Clinic inside the store itself. The visit is now considered a full clinic visit and I had to answer the usual slew of questions when you go for a doctor’s visit, including medical history. Then my vitals were taken…followed by the nose swipe. 
Now instead of the quick hour or two email notification, I have to wait until near the end of the day when the ‘provider’ (doctor or NP) on-site calls me with the result and then follows that up with the email. 
According to the nurse, this is CVS’s new procedure and it will be for all CVS. Not a problem for me as my insurance covers the Minute Clinic, but I hope it doesn’t cost anything for those whose insurance doesn’t cover…or charges a copay.
I believe this is because there is a huge drop in demand for the tests…which is good news!
I went online and checked CVS scheduling for available tests. There now seems to be lots of tests available in my area where before it was hard to find them less then a week away. I’m hoping Royal does away with the pre-cruise testing soon.

7 minutes ago, GatorCruiser said:

BInaxNOW/EMED for life!!

Yep. I have them as back-up in case I couldn’t get a CVS test…but now, looks like that’s going to be my primary choice. Especially knowing if I screw it up, there’s available CVS testing on the same day. I guess CVS will be the back-up.

20 minutes ago, BrianB said:

Yep. I have them as back-up in case I couldn’t get a CVS test…but now, looks like that’s going to be my primary choice. Especially knowing if I screw it up, there’s available CVS testing on the same day. I guess CVS will be the back-up.

CVS has always been the back for me behind EMED, we just knocked out 10 Binax now tests yesterday between our party including my two young sons and it was easy peasy. other than the stress of it coming back positive🤣

That is interesting, because same thing happened to me yesterday in Massachusetts.  I went to CVS to get our test.  The outside pod had note stating as of 3/16/22, testing at minute clinic.  I didn't think much of it.  the nurse did take vitals before the swab.

An hour or two later..... my phone rings and it is nurse practitioner calling..... my heart sank.   Then he tells me the test was negative.  I was thinking, they would only call for a positive.

I cannot wait until the testing goes away... hopefully soon.

2 hours ago, BrianB said:

I just got my Antigen test done at CVS. This is the tenth time I’ve had it done there since September for my cruises and today was completely different. Instead of going into the ‘pod’…or mini-trailer…in the parking lot for a quick nose swipe, followed by an email an hour or two later with the results, there is a new procedure.  
Now I have to go into the Minute Clinic inside the store itself. The visit is now considered a full clinic visit and I had to answer the usual slew of questions when you go for a doctor’s visit, including medical history. Then my vitals were taken…followed by the nose swipe. 
Now instead of the quick hour or two email notification, I have to wait until near the end of the day when the ‘provider’ (doctor or NP) on-site calls me with the result and then follows that up with the email. 
According to the nurse, this is CVS’s new procedure and it will be for all CVS. Not a problem for me as my insurance covers the Minute Clinic, but I hope it doesn’t cost anything for those whose insurance doesn’t cover…or charges a copay.
I believe this is because there is a huge drop in demand for the tests…which is good news!
I went online and checked CVS scheduling for available tests. There now seems to be lots of tests available in my area where before it was hard to find them less then a week away. I’m hoping Royal does away with the pre-cruise testing soon.

The community testing site in New Rochelle, NY area had offered the rapid PCR all along which was great-especially when we crujised out of Bahamas and needed a PCR..  I used them because I knew they would always be open (back in the fall a lot of other CVS sites did not meet their obligations, cancelling testing last minute due to lack of staffing-  I know the rapid PCR has a higher likely to pick up old remnants giving a "false positive" but it was the risk I chose to take.  Now looking to book a test and that location is only offering the antigen test (good -less concern about that false positive from an old infection)....but it's no longer worth the drive for me since there are now CVS locations near me that now offer the same test and I can book same day as needed.   (forgot to mention I would also drop by my college kids and bring them groceries/necessities so it wasn't a complete waste to drive the 45 mintues)
I imagine there will soon be costs associated with "test for travel"....but they are wisely asking the right question "have you been in a situation where being socially distant was not possible", that pretty much covers all of us.  What I don't like is that I will now have to be "thrown in the mix" with sick people who want testing/visit at CVS for "real illness".  I guess it is time to break down and use the backup Emed tests I have for cruising.....I have 12 available to me (have family cruising with me soon enough....but I'll use it for my solo cruise so I can "get over my fear" and see how easy it is.  I mean 12 tests....I'm bound to not go through them all for that one completed testing right?!  

Fear not!  The eMed test is remarkably convenient, easy, quick, and painless.  There are several videos online on how to do the test, and the proctor will walk you through the entire process.  You'll just need to create an eMed and NAVICA account and log-in (laptop with a camera, tablet, or smart phone) to get started.  

Here's the link to Matt's video on how to do the eMed testing:

1 hour ago, Matt said:

I started off only going to CVS. Then when I tried the Abbott home test, I never looked back

Matt, do you know if there's a way to purchase this test if I live outside the US, maybe buy it and send it to the hotel?

We have a cruise on June and I've been looking for testing options and this sounds like the better one.

I noticed that it seemed to be getting harder and harder to schedule at a pharmacy (CVS & Walgreens included) locally near me, as well as fewer public clinics. I was hoping to use the free option for my April cruise, but as soon as my fake "bookings" started showing no days/times available, I went ahead and ordered the tests through the Royal link. The cost difference does really stink, even if I get reimbursed from insurance for the $12 we're supposed to get back - plus having to go through the paperwork to submit it.

1 hour ago, Pooch said:

I guess we were lucky.  Pulled into the marked parking spot at CVS.  Got a call from the tech, both went in, showed ID. Swabbed our noses ourselves & got text results in an hour that I then printed out.  Hoping the requirement will be gone by our October cruise

Well, Pooch, Thing have changed since you did last week!  As mentioned above CVS has discounted their outside testing sites, its now inside within the Mediclinic and I could not make an appointment 14 days out.  

4 hours ago, Peter D said:

I might be missing something, but don't the EMED/Abbott have a net cost to use?  Does insurance cover them totally like they do for the CVS test?

Insurance will cover $12 of the cost of the test; regardless the convenience is priceless and I gladly pay

5 hours ago, Pooch said:

I guess we were lucky.  Pulled into the marked parking spot at CVS.  Got a call from the tech, both went in, showed ID. Swabbed our noses ourselves & got text results in an hour that I then printed out.  Hoping the requirement will be gone by our October cruise

This is the way it was for me at CVS since testing started. Got my appointment time, drove five minutes, parked outside the booth and when they called I went in. Showed ID, got swabbed, and left. Easy Peasy. Got the result in an hour. For me, it was very convenient, quick and easier than doing the monitored self test. 
But…not anymore. It was still convenient but more involved…but fortunately my insurance still covers it completely.

I ordered the emed test last fall but had a difficult time just downloading the app. I tried a number of times and it kept kicking me out. I tried one final time and finally got the app downloaded. I read online that many people that used android had issues with the download. I got so nervous that I was worried it would not work and I would be stuck without getting the test. My wifes phone was to old to handle the app. For some reason I thought that it was not ideal to try and run it through a computer.

We are fortunate that we have a Clear Choice MD close by and they handle things quickly. Little concerned with so many places not having the demand for test that it will become more difficult to get a test. We have a cruise coming in April so is becoming a concern. May have to give the emed test another try.

13 minutes ago, Chris Fish said:

We are fortunate that we have a Clear Choice MD close by and they handle things quickly. Little concerned with so many places not having the demand for test that it will become more difficult to get a test. We have a cruise coming in April so is becoming a concern. May have to give the emed test another try.

The new variant is rearing it's ugly head.  If anything, when people decide to test for spring break travel the numbers will be going up as they did in Nov, Dec.....so I think we will be seeing a spike and therefore a need for testing.  If anything, it might become tight to find available testing, like in Nov,Dec.

What is the current policy for COVID testing? We leave Wednesday 6/1/22 out of Las Vegas at like 6am. Arrive in Rome 6/2/22 Thursday morning. Head to ship from there. How many days before travel do we need to do antigen/PCR test? Sounds like Bionex is a favorite? Can we do on Tuesday? Sorry in advance if this is an obvious question

Does anyone have any experience getting reimbursed by CareFirst for buying the tests from Royal Caribbean's site? They seem expensive compared to other tests available. I'm heavily considering this option as my testing method for my upcoming cruise at the end of April. But I want to know if my insurance will cover the full amount or if they'll only cover a partial amount. I've looked at everything they have online but it only says they'll cover the cost of the test, taxes and shipping. I could absolutely see them only covering up to a certain amount because there are other tests available at a lower price. 

16 hours ago, Pattycruise said:

The new variant is rearing it's ugly head.  If anything, when people decide to test for spring break travel the numbers will be going up as they did in Nov, Dec.....so I think we will be seeing a spike and therefore a need for testing.  If anything, it might become tight to find available testing, like in Nov,Dec.

No “ugly head rearing”, relax and turn off the television. 

4 hours ago, smost said:

Does anyone have any experience getting reimbursed by CareFirst for buying the tests from Royal Caribbean's site? They seem expensive compared to other tests available. I'm heavily considering this option as my testing method for my upcoming cruise at the end of April. But I want to know if my insurance will cover the full amount or if they'll only cover a partial amount. I've looked at everything they have online but it only says they'll cover the cost of the test, taxes and shipping. I could absolutely see them only covering up to a certain amount because there are other tests available at a lower price. 

Generally insurance companies will only reimburse $12 per test