Travel Agent Expectations

I am trying to determine if MY expectations for a good TA are reasonable. I read other forums as most do and see all kinds of tales of both good and bad and want to find out if my experience using a TA and my expectations are reasonable.  Mostly  I am trying to determine the worth to my wife and I returning to using a TA.

Background we have been on 8 cruises since 2017.  5 on Carnival and 1 on RC we booked and managed ourselves with little to no issue.  2 on RC that we booked using a TA.  The two we booked using the TA were with an MEI TA that is no longer with the company.  My wife and I are both control freaks and planners so when we called the TA to book we essential had everything already laid out even down to the cabin and she just had to book for us.  This is how both cruises we booked through her went.  We did all the planning work which is fine; we would do that regardless and the  TA booked it.  The only perk we got was $50 OBC on each sailing.  Rates and everything else was the same as on the RCI website.

Through other boards I am led to believe there is much more to a good TA.

discounts on cruise fare

bottle of wine (don't care we don't drink wine)

free gratuities

Specialty dining.

other random things I cannot think of

checking on reduced rates and repricing the fare when lower.  This is the big one.  Do any TA actually do this? without input from the  customer?  we do not have the time to check rates and I just wonder if this is actually done by TA.

We still get e-mail offers from the original no longer with MEI TA as well as the new MEI agent that was assigned.  I am just looking at if there is more value in using a TA that I have not seen yet.

We have a  10 day booked on Oasis next January and wonder if there is any worth in transferring to a TA.  The cruise was booked on board Adventure in Dec on our only RC cruise we did not use a TA.

*Additional info.

Up until the upcoming cruise all of our sailings have been out of Galveston so no other arrangements were needed.  We are now full time RVers and will at time need additional arrangements as well like flights and rental cars.  For the upcoming cruise we will be back down in FL for and won't need that but we are starting to plan for Alaska and B2B and will need flight and car arrangements in the future.

Thanks for any comment and guidance

I'm no expert, my first cruise is still some time away but I have booked two b2b cruises both with travel agents. For me the main benefit was it is easy.

I told them when we can travel, where we want to go, what room we want and then got a list of possible cruises that fit those criteria.* Took 3 e-mails over two days for the latest booking - still very long away (April 2024) but no questions about people traveling or birthdays etc. Just wrote in my first e-mail to use the details from my previous booking and that was it. Overall I think I spend roughly the same time on booking the two weeks as I needed to read your post and write my reply.

I don't get $50 OBC, wine or something like from my TA - it would be nice but that is not the reason why I use them. I want it fast, simple and be done with the booking.

* This might be really me, but I have not found a website where I can search for a room, travel region and a date range. And get a list of possible cruises with the prices.

I tend to book my own cruises and then transfer them to my TA (MEI). In the past, I have booked through one if the large online travel agencies, and also direct through Royal. I am also an over planner and understand where you are coming from as I don't really need them to assist in vacation planning as most others would want.

All of the Covid cancellations and FCC issues along with issues applying the FCC made me rethink that for cruises. I spent WAY to long trying to get these issues resolved.

A bonus was the repricing that MEI provides. I now get occasional emails from my TA informing me that my cruise has been repriced. I can also let her know to be on the lookout for cabin upgrades at prices I am comfortable with.

For me, the TA is a safety net for when things go wrong. 

Since it doesn't cost any extra to use a TA, it's a no-brainer for me.   I often do the legwork, but then transfer the cruise to the TA to manage and track for me.  On more than one occasion, my TA has found a price drop, new option for OBC, etc. and has also found me a deal on a better class of cabin; and handled the legwork of making all those associated changes.  It's been my experience I can be as involved as I'd like to be with tracking and managing my reservation in collaboration with my TA; or I can just be hands-off and leave it to my TA.  The TA may not be able to give OBC, or other amenities depending on the situation.  I think those are perks that certain agencies offer at certain times.  AMEX travel offered me those perks including the OBC and bottle of wine if I switched over and used them for my cruises.  However, my experience using AMEX travel has always been that they pick the most expensive fares available (for airlines anyway), and then offer the AMEX "discount" on those.   Essentially, I can use AMEX and get a small "discount" and perk on an extravagant fare; or I can just go with a more reasonable source (smaller TA or book direct) and get a much better deal.   For me, it's about the working relationship with my TA who knows me, and looks out for me, vs. a big agency offering supposed "discounts and perks" on inflated fares, and where I'm just another number in the crowd.  I book my own airfare, but I am happy for my TA to manage all of my cruises for me, and have never been disappointed. 

1 hour ago, Xtentions said:

I am trying to determine if MY expectations for a good TA are reasonable. I read other forums as most do and see all kinds of tales of both good and bad and want to find out if my experience using a TA and my expectations are reasonable.  Mostly  I am trying to determine the worth to my wife and I returning to using a TA.

Background we have been on 8 cruises since 2017.  5 on Carnival and 1 on RC we booked and managed ourselves with little to no issue.  2 on RC that we booked using a TA.  The two we booked using the TA were with an MEI TA that is no longer with the company.  My wife and I are both control freaks and planners so when we called the TA to book we essential had everything already laid out even down to the cabin and she just had to book for us.  This is how both cruises we booked through her went.  We did all the planning work which is fine; we would do that regardless and the  TA booked it.  The only perk we got was $50 OBC on each sailing.  Rates and everything else was the same as on the RCI website.

Through other boards I am led to believe there is much more to a good TA.

discounts on cruise fare

bottle of wine (don't care we don't drink wine)

free gratuities

Specialty dining.

other random things I cannot think of

checking on reduced rates and repricing the fare when lower.  This is the big one.  Do any TA actually do this? without input from the  customer?  we do not have the time to check rates and I just wonder if this is actually done by TA.

We still get e-mail offers from the original no longer with MEI TA as well as the new MEI agent that was assigned.  I am just looking at if there is more value in using a TA that I have not seen yet.

We have a  10 day booked on Oasis next January and wonder if there is any worth in transferring to a TA.  The cruise was booked on board Adventure in Dec on our only RC cruise we did not use a TA.

*Additional info.

Up until the upcoming cruise all of our sailings have been out of Galveston so no other arrangements were needed.  We are now full time RVers and will at time need additional arrangements as well like flights and rental cars.  For the upcoming cruise we will be back down in FL for and won't need that but we are starting to plan for Alaska and B2B and will need flight and car arrangements in the future.

Thanks for any comment and guidance

I am a control freak with my cruises. We use the TA to book our cruises. We have the cabin number and everything. If there is a problem, the TA can fix it. I check my cruise prices constantly. 

This is my thought.  Whether you're booking direct through the cruise line or with a travel agent, you're paying the same price for the cruise fare.  So the help from a travel agent and extra perks come for free (with exception to some big box travel agencies that charge a $25 processing fee for each booking).

It's a similar situation as paying at the store with cash/debit versus a credit card that earns points/rewards.  The retailer has already adjusted the sales price to accommodate the extra fee - analogous to TA's commission - that is paid to the credit card company, so by not using a credit card you're essentially paying more for less when paying with cash.  That's assuming you pay your CC bill in full each month, but that's a different conversation 😂

Thanks for the comments so far.

In the end the perks really are just that perks and I don't really care.

I did just remember that the no longer with MEI agent did help us when our cruise was cancelled during covid.  We wanted full refund instead of FCC and she helped to get that.   This was in accordance with the first wave of cancellations and refund was an option.  RCI I believe changed that shortly after but I had an email from them with the option.  It took a bit but the TA got it done. We were to be on Allure out of Galveston Feb of 22.  Obviously with the delay of the Galveston pier that cruise was canceled for multiple reasons.

My main expectation is the repricing and or better fare for a better cabin.  Especially the rep[ricing for a better fare without need for me to contact the TA would be awesome.  Is this something all MEI TAs do?  The two we had with the TA never got repriced but they were good fares to begin with.

We book our refundable deposit cruises early, so we seldom benefit from repricing.  Our AAA agent checks for us when we ask, but the "then current" price for our preferred room is usually about the same price or even more expensive.  Thus, unless you book expensive suites that could vary in price dramatically, I wouldn't expect a TA to get you a better deal.  It might happen, just don't plan on it.  We have found that because of Covid-19 cancellations, our TA isn't as prompt in replying to us anymore.  i would suggest that is a better criterion when you consider getting/changing TAs.  We book at least a year in advance, often 18-24 months.  We have found our TA invaluable when we have problems and great at getting competitive air fares.

We also tend book early do the discounts down the road may not come because of that.  We have also been known to book really late.  The Dec last year cruise on Adventure was booked 8 days prior to sailing for a great price in a GTY balcony and ended up with a minor upgrade to a spacious balcony.  We then booked our 10 day on Oasis in January 23 on board.

The ease of handling the cancellation and refund was nice though.  RCI gave us FCC automatically and we wanted the refund.  All it took was an e-mail to the TA with the cancellation letter offering the refund option and she made it happen.  Again it took a while but was stress free.

For me the REAL value of my travel agent is how he performed when things went badly. Anyone can book a cruise, the last two years of Covid cancellations has proven the value of my travel agent. Throughout it all, 5 cancellations, I never spoke to Royal Caribbean, never tracked a FCC, never argued about a refund; I sat back, sent an email to the agent when necessary, and they handled the rest.

PRICELESS!!

So it looks like a was not remembering how things went down with my RCI canceled cruise. I went back through my cruising email folder.  It was not the old TA that got my refund fixed it was the new one.  After searching her name on here she has pretty glowing reviews and comments and appears to be what I look for in a TA. 

I will be talking over with my wife and possibly transferring my booking to her.

Thanks to all for the comments.

I have always used Costco travel as my 'travel agent', because of the 'cash back' Costco cards post sail.  They are ultimately just a middle man.  Almost every time I have needed to interact with them, they almost always need to contact Royal.  Especially when it comes to price changes.  In the past, it hasn't been that bad, but lately it has been unbearable.  For whatever reason, their staffing has led to hours of hold times to speak with them and more hours to resolve issues.  They don't have a robust system for offline contact.  They do not check prices and rebook, which is what I'd agree is key in a good TA.  

My question is incentive for TAs.  I assume TA's commission is based on cruise fare, and if that's true, does it change when cruise fares are repriced?  If so, what is the incentive of a TA to spend time for price reductions when it ultimately means less commission in pocket.  If a TA does that (such as MEI mentioned above), that is key.

Nevertheless, I am the type that is obsessive with checking prices, so I am sure I'd be pestering a TA anyway.

We’ll take service over swag every single time.

I can’t imagine if we would have had to  navigate the covid fiasco without our travel agent. 

Even a recent cancellation and moving to a different cruise due to an upcoming extended refit on Indy was a piece of cake thanks to Michelle at MEI   

She makes things easy for us.  That’s priceless 

I always wonder if I ask too much too.

I booked 7 cabins on a cruise for my family. I would think that's a nice payday for my TA? But I always have to look myself to find when cheaper fares are available then email or call my her to ask her to verify if they are cheaper. Its happened twice on my next cruise. One was minimal but she did it anyway, which I appreciated. The last one was a refund for $272.00/cabin. Which she rebooked for me back on Nov 19th. Only 4 of the 7 cabins were getting the discount because of the room type. I have emailed at least 7 times since asking about the refunds. I was advised the first time that it takes 45 days. That was a long time ago. So now they have come in one at a time. My nephew got his first then my one daughter. The last 2 have been dragging out. I paid for them on the same CC. Back on Feb 18th one of the two suddenly appear back on my card without any update from my TA. But the other one still hasn't been refunded yet. Is this unusual to get one of 2 on the same card?  I emailed my TA but get no reply. I get so frustrated and my DW tells me to relax.. The last email she advised she would contact the next day and get back to me. That was back on Feb. 23rd. But I have yet to hear from her since.  Am I asking too much for her to fight for me and actually answer me with her findings? Or is the silent treatment typical?

1 hour ago, Peter D said:

My question is incentive for TAs.  I assume TA's commission is based on cruise fare, and if that's true, does it change when cruise fares are repriced?  If so, what is the incentive of a TA to spend time for price reductions when it ultimately means less commission in pocket.  If a TA does that (such as MEI mentioned above), that is key.

The incentive is that they get you a lower price, and you think "Man!  My TA is AMAZING!  I will definitely book all of my cruises with them!".  It's great service that equals repeat business.  And that person is happy and tells others about their wonderful TA, and gets them even more clients!

11 minutes ago, wville21 said:

I always wonder if I ask too much too.

I booked 7 cabins on a cruise for my family. I would think that's a nice payday for my TA? But I always have to look myself to find when cheaper fares are available then email or call my her to ask her to verify if they are cheaper. Its happened twice on my next cruise. One was minimal but she did it anyway, which I appreciated. The last one was a refund for $272.00/cabin. Which she rebooked for me back on Nov 19th. Only 4 of the 7 cabins were getting the discount because of the room type. I have emailed at least 7 times since asking about the refunds. I was advised the first time that it takes 45 days. That was a long time ago. So now they have come in one at a time. My nephew got his first then my one daughter. The last 2 have been dragging out. I paid for them on the same CC. Back on Feb 18th one of the two suddenly appear back on my card without any update from my TA. But the other one still hasn't been refunded yet. Is this unusual to get one of 2 on the same card?  I emailed my TA but get no reply. I get so frustrated and my DW tells me to relax.. The last email she advised she would contact the next day and get back to me. That was back on Feb. 23rd. But I have yet to hear from her since.  Am I asking too much for her to fight for me and actually answer me with her findings? Or is the silent treatment typical?

I think the refund process depends on your TA agency and how they process your reservation charges.  I use MEI-Travel, and they process the cruise reservation charges on my behalf with Royal.  But the transaction comes through on my credit card as being charged directly from Royal (not from MEI-Travel).  That means when I have a refund coming, it comes directly from Royal, too.  While my TA may make the refund request, and give me an idea of what to expect (including that the refund could be split up over three separate refunds from Royal); the refunds always come directly from Royal and not from my TA.  So, my guess is the TA has limited visibility into the issue, and is as the mercy of the cruise line to process and credit your refund to you.  I've had some come through more quickly than expected, and one that's taken several weeks so far.  But again, the actual refund comes from the cruise line and is not paid to me by my TA or their agency.

2 hours ago, Peter D said:

I assume TA's commission is based on cruise fare, and if that's true, does it change when cruise fares are repriced?  If so, what is the incentive of a TA to spend time for price reductions when it ultimately means less commission in pocket.  If a TA does that (such as MEI mentioned above), that is key.

True, the more you pay, the higher we get paid. Technically repricing cruises to lower rates loses us money. But we do it because it's the service we provide, and we truly want you to get the best deal! 

Sometimes we can't offer all of these rebates and OBC because we would literally lose money for you to cruise. Costco can do this, I can't.

2 hours ago, Sharla said:

True, the more you pay, the higher we get paid. Technically repricing cruises to lower rates loses us money. But we do it because it's the service we provide, and we truly want you to get the best deal! 

Sometimes we can't offer all of these rebates and OBC because we would literally lose money for you to cruise. Costco can do this, I can't.

I'll add one thing to @Sharla's response to why a TA would bother with repricing if it means less commission.

A major misconception is how TAs really make money with a client. The real money comes in a long term relationship where that client comes back again and again to book many cruises, each with many comissions.

No TA gets rich off one booking, but lots of bookings over time is just like a repeat customer in a restaurant. That's what you need to succeed, so offering repricing as a service provides value to the client to keep coming back.

8 hours ago, Peter D said:

I have always used Costco travel as my 'travel agent', because of the 'cash back' Costco cards post sail.  They are ultimately just a middle man.  Almost every time I have needed to interact with them, they almost always need to contact Royal.  Especially when it comes to price changes.  In the past, it hasn't been that bad, but lately it has been unbearable.  For whatever reason, their staffing has led to hours of hold times to speak with them and more hours to resolve issues.  They don't have a robust system for offline contact.  They do not check prices and rebook, which is what I'd agree is key in a good TA.  

It's my understanding all travel agents must contact RC for any price reduction and it is quite time consuming. (Royal does have an uncanny ability to quickly pick up the phone for new bookings!) While I cannot address the hours of hold time to get through to Costco, once you do that travel agent has to face the Royal wait times.(it's almost karma!)

I had a travel agent through the company recommended here.  I had to call and get price drops.  I don't' know if it was because I am "on it"-I check a few times a week, I no longer went back to her when I had issues with one of my sailings that should have been handled by her, one issue before sailing and another regarding flight info at the end of sailing.