Am I wrong? MEI question

Pooch

Most of you know the saga of my brother and our Harmony cruise so I won’t go back into the details but I need an outside perspective.  Our MEI agent basically sent him a link to the trip insurance company and said here ya go - have fun!  When I asked if she was assisting him with the process she said “I’m not an insurance agent.  I just sell it.  He has to go through them.”  Now I don’t expect her to file the claim for him but “this is the documentation they will be looking for with regard to a weather cancellation.  You claim (or not) your cruise planner purchases, etc”. I am more than a little ticked off that she seems to have just left him to flounder on his own. To the point where I feel like I want a new agent as I’ve totally lost faith in her.  What say you all?

UGH.  That's a tough one.  Thankfully, I have never had to file an insurance claim so I have no direct knowledge of the process or what is involved.

My first instinct is to say that the travel agents truly are NOT insurance agents and that they wouldn't normally have any idea of what paperwork is needed or what the process is...

On the other hand, they have surely dealt with these situations many times before and perhaps should have some general information on how to proceed.

I certainly wouldn't consider it a "firing" offense.

I'm so sorry the family trip got ruined by that storm.  I've never filed an insurance claim either.  But I personally wouldn't expect the travel agent to be the insurance agent, either.  They might not have experience in handling it.   I just used an MEI agent to book a cruise and asked about air to sea options and the agent was super helpful and more than willing to book it.  But, she shared with me, she doesn't get paid any extra to book this for me.  I personally would only use the agent in cases where she is making a commission.  I don;t know if they make a commission on selling the travel insurance.   If they do, then I would expect them to handle the claim for your brother, then.  Just the same way when you book a cruise, they handle problems that arise with that.

5 minutes ago, Templecruiser said:

You would think if they sold the policy, they should be familiar with it. How can you sell someone a item, and yet not know anything about it? If I buy a extended warranty at a car dealer, I deal with the dealer not the insurance company.

a warranty is not an insurance plan

8 minutes ago, TXcruzer said:

a warranty is not an insurance plan

True, but still a product sold to me that's not part of original sale and not needed. But gives ease of mind if you have it. I couldn't imagine selling someone something, then when they need it, say your on your own. You would think if they sold it, they should have a contact to get in touch to start the process.

7 minutes ago, Templecruiser said:

True, but still a product sold to me that's not part of original sale and not needed. But gives ease of mind if you have it. I couldn't imagine selling someone something, then when they need it, say your on your own. You would think if they sold it, they should have a contact to get in touch to start the process.

agreed, precisely my point in my above response.  The TA has provided the claims form, upon which is a claims support phone number. 

I called the number, and was handheld and walked through the entire process; that is the job of the insurance company, not the travel agent.

We can't actually do insurance claims.  I can't even say "insurance will cover this" or anything like that, because I can only purchase it on your behalf. 

I would want to make sure they had everything they needed to file the claim, including getting confirmations or documentation, but the actual claim has to be from the policy holder.

My understanding is that without a license travel agents can't "sell" insurance policies.  They are only allowed to offer it and provide all supporting documentation.  Advising on whether a claim would be accepted would open up liability for that agent.  Due to the complex and fluid nature of insurance claims.

Here's a snip from an article that is helpful:

https://www.travelweekly.com/Mark-Pestronk/New-law-makes-insurance-sales-less-complicated-for-agents

"Under the new law, travel agents cannot "sell" insurance in the same sense that a life insurance salesperson can. Rather, you are limited to "offering and disseminating" policies offered by your travel insurance supplier and explaining the features and benefits using materials provided by the insurer.

So, you cannot "evaluate or interpret the technical terms, benefits and conditions of the offered travel insurance coverage," and you cannot "evaluate or provide advice concerning a prospective purchaser's existing insurance coverage." This is probably just as well, as the policies are quite hard to interpret, and you could be liable to the client if he relies on your mistaken advice."

I was not nor am I asking her to fill out or submit the claim.  I was looking for a little guidance and hand holding.  She is not the insurance agent but I bet she’s seen the situation before.  She should also know whether RCCL would refund CP purchases  directly or do they need to be claimed.  She & I did all the leg work for this trip.  Toms sole function was to pay for stuff when we told him to.  He’s never cruised.  I have been trying to help from the ship.  Sent dozens of screenshots of unavailable flights.  An email or two checking on his progress.  Is there anything I might have access to that you need?  Something more than here’s the link. Ok go!

8 minutes ago, Pooch said:

I was not nor am I asking her to fill out or submit the claim.  I was looking for a little guidance and hand holding.  She is not the insurance agent but I bet she’s seen the situation before.  She should also know whether RCCL would refund CP purchases  directly or do they need to be claimed.  She & I did all the leg work for this trip.  Toms sole function was to pay for stuff when we told him to.  He’s never cruised.  I have been trying to help from the ship.  Sent dozens of screenshots of unavailable flights.  An email or two checking on his progress.  Is there anything I might have access to that you need?  Something more than here’s the link. Ok go!

CP purchases will be automatically refunded to his credit card upon his "no show" at the pier, along with taxes and port fees. 

Have your brother call the insurance company, and ask specifically what they require, all companies are a little different.  Once he has that list, it should be pretty simple to gather the appropriate documentation.

3 hours ago, Pooch said:

Yes and I’m sure he is perfectly capable of handling this.  This is MY GUILT manifesting itself that he is stuck at home dealing with this while I have room service coffee on my balcony.😢. It has very much affected the trip for me.

prepaid gratuities?

First, I would find out what the deadline is for filing....I don't imagine it is 7 days.  Go enjoy your vacation and tell your brother you will help him when he gets back.

Second, if you feel you were slighted by the TA, change agents.  I know I did when I had an issue with flight seating for a return trip booked by the agent- as well as adding a person to an existing reservation within the final payment time.  Regardless of how nice an agent is, there comes a time when it's time to move on.

I have a acquaintance  who had to cancel her trip due to weather, the TA she is using is a former TA I used (this  acquaintance used the TA because she had seen on FB that I had used her)  If only she had asked me if I would recommend her I could have told her I left that TA a few years ago and the multiple reasons why.  My acquaintance will not be in a good place for quite some time.  

Go get your drink and sunshine......this can wait.

It doesn’t help here, but in the future you might look at getting insurance through an insurance broker. I use Trip Insurance Store and have had to file a claim in the past. I got a very high level of hand holding, which was appreciated. They have also made it super easy to transfer insurance from one trip to another with all the changes over the past two years. 

For your brother, you can probably call directly when you get back and ask the insurer to email a list of all documents they need, which you could then forward to your agent if you don’t have them.