Sailing out New Jersey

We are sailing out of new Jersey in end of September first week of October. I'm not familiar with the area or the airports. If we do self disembark can we make a flight to LaGuardia airport for a 11:00 flight? LaGuardia has better flight coming from Nashville than Newark airport.     

As a New Jersey native, I would say no. Right now, according to Google, that's a 45 minute drive, and it's nearly midnight with minimal traffic. I would say that is your minimum, best case scenario travel time. Its could easily take two hours, or more. Then you have to deal with security, and the lines at any of the airports around here can get very long...or you could breeze through. It's really the luck of the draw, and not predictable. I would not risk it. Newark is 20 minutes away, and you won't deal with anywhere close to the traffic you will going into the city. 

EDIT: Forgot to mention that your cab ride (assuming that's how you're getting to the airport) is going to likely cost 3x as much going to LaGuardia. you'll pay at least $20 in tolls alone.

As a NJ resident, I never have to fly, but have had to drive to LaGuardia when my DD, flying from Norfolk, Virginia, had to fly to LaGuardia because her flight to Newark got cancelled, and it is awful going there (& I was going early on a Saturday morning).  You would be much better off flying into Newark, and making an 11am flight is certainly doable from there. 

I agree with other NJ residents. No way would I ever fly in or out using LaGuardia sailing out from Cape Liberty.  Maybe if I was sailing NCL, which sails from NYC, but not Cape Liberty.

Anyone from NJ that works in NYC would tell you pay 100, 200 bucks more and fly in and out Newark (EWR).  It is well worth it just from a stress level!

Count me (another NJ resident) among those saying no. Docking in the morning means you have to deal with NYC-bound rush hour traffic. Good luck with that. Newark is by far the most convenient airport to Cape Liberty. Southwest pulled out of there, but check United -- they're the dominant airline and it's their largest East Coast hub. Might find some decent fares.

29 minutes ago, USCG Teacher said:

My hatred for LGA is well known.  An airline would pretty much have to pay me to fly in/out of there.  EWR far and away the best choice to Bayonne, with JFK, PHL and even TTN on Frontier in a pinch as my fallbacks. 

Really? It used to be like a third-world country there but the new terminals are really really nice. 

But I agree. As someone who has flown in and out of all 3 NY airports many times, Newark is a definite yes. LGA I wouldn't count on something that early. 

Celebrity Flights are the same people as Air2Sea.  I do not know if you can find mock bookings on Air2Sea but I can on Celebrity flights.  You have to play with their site but essentially try to find a cruise that comes in at a similar date, same port and select LGA as your airport.....then you will see the earliest flights being offeed by Flights By Celebrity.  Their is a method to their madness, they want to be sure you will make the flight, which means less work for them and less aggravation for you.  However if you miss your flight due to YOUR issues (like a late cab, can't get through security) then it is on YOU to pay for any changes to your ticket.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/itinerary-details/10-night-bermuda-newport-and-charleston-from-cape-liberty-nj-ny-metro?packageID=SM10B008&sDT=2022-05-13&cCD=CO
I looked at a May cruise out of Bayonne but it disembarked on a Monday....and 1:00pm was the earliest flight time Celebrity Flights offered (note I had no idea what airport you were flying to so I tried LAX, Miami and Charlotte as options-all yielded results 1:00pm or later)  (you can see the link above)
Also, you would have to find out if Air2Sea offers a shuttle to the airport.   You can also Uber or hire a car.  If you  get in on a Sunday morning.....unless you were coming in on the day of the NY Marathon, it should not be a problem.  While NYC  IS a city that doesn't sleep, it is a pretty sleepy city on a Sunday morning.    Football season wouldn't even impact the drive since not all tailgaters arrive at the stadium at 8:00am....(Metlife located near the port and it's doubtful your ride would take you past that)
The latest disembarkation time from the ship has been 8:45. (the earliest being 7am).  This of course is subject to change based on any issues that might have the ship getting in later.    It is a 45 minute drive according to Mapquest (which does not use traffic in their calculating).    11 am would really be cutting it close if there were ship issues, Uber/car service issues, TSA issues, weather issues.

11 hours ago, woodman1 said:

Everyone a huge thank you for your reply. I've been to New York just not the city so I had no idea, will be looking in to Newark.  

Depending on how early before your cruise you come in and where you stay, it's actually very easy to avoid NYC proper pre-cruise (avoid NYC? Really? Work there long enough and you look for ways to avoid it). If you fly into EWR, stay in Jersey City or at an airport hotel, you can always take the train/PATH into the city for dinner or sightseeing. Hotels near the airport will be cheaper than in the city and easier for getting to the pier in the morning. If you're coming in for a few days pre-cruise, staying in the city isn't a crazy idea at all.

On 3/16/2022 at 9:14 PM, woodman1 said:

We are sailing out of new Jersey in end of September first week of October. I'm not familiar with the area or the airports. If we do self disembark can we make a flight to LaGuardia airport for a 11:00 flight? LaGuardia has better flight coming from Nashville than Newark airport.     

I'm guessing you are on Oasis (Sunday to Sunday 7 night cruise). Looking at flight schedules out of EWR on Sunday October 2 and October 9th I'm seeing nonstop departures EWR-BNA at 6:59am, 7:59am, 10:50am, 12:05pm, 2:55pm, 4:25pm, 7:08pm and 9:59pm all on United Airlines, the only other airline offering nonstop flights is Spirit their flight leaves at 8:30am. Of course I would not suggest you book a flight even leaving from EWR before 9am but as you can see (I don't know how you feel about United) United does have a 10:50am and a 12:05pm nonstop that you can take.  Trying to get from Bayonne to LGA is a hassle you don't want to experience.  If you are trying to avoid United Airlines then I would suggest you book a much later flight out of LGA or if you are looking to get home faster and don't mind flying United I would then suggest you book United's 10:50am or 12:05pm nonstop flight.

On 3/18/2022 at 8:52 AM, JasonOasis said:

I'm guessing you are on Oasis (Sunday to Sunday 7 night cruise). Looking at flight schedules out of EWR on Sunday October 2 and October 9th I'm seeing nonstop departures EWR-BNA at 6:59am, 7:59am, 10:50am, 12:05pm, 2:55pm, 4:25pm, 7:08pm and 9:59pm all on United Airlines, the only other airline offering nonstop flights is Spirit their flight leaves at 8:30am. Of course I would not suggest you book a flight even leaving from EWR before 9am but as you can see (I don't know how you feel about United) United does have a 10:50am and a 12:05pm nonstop that you can take.  Trying to get from Bayonne to LGA is a hassle you don't want to experience.  If you are trying to avoid United Airlines then I would suggest you book a much later flight out of LGA or if you are looking to get home faster and don't mind flying United I would then suggest you book United's 10:50am or 12:05pm nonstop flight.

We are on the Adventure of the seas leave Thursday September 29 and return on Saturday Oct. 8 LGA prices are about the same as Newark the flight times fit our schedule better flying from Nashville, TN   

3 hours ago, woodman1 said:

We are on the Adventure of the seas leave Thursday September 29 and return on Saturday Oct. 8 LGA prices are about the same as Newark the flight times fit our schedule better flying from Nashville, TN   

I certainly hope you reconsider that 11am departure out of LGA that is going to be a tough one to catch if you are set on 11am I've got my fingers cross that you catch your flight. There is still a 10:50am nonstop departure out of EWR on Saturday October 8 EWR-BNA.  A few last things to keep in mind if you will be checking bags most airlines close check-in 45 minutes before departure for domestic flights when checking a bag and 30 minutes before departure if you are not checking a bag.  Lastly you need to think about security check point especially if you don't have TSA PRE, although you are flying home on a Saturday lines can at times be longer on Saturdays because the TSA doesn't always have same amount of check points open on Saturday as they would on a weekday.

3 hours ago, JasonOasis said:

I certainly hope you reconsider that 11am departure out of LGA that is going to be a tough one to catch if you are set on 11am I've got my fingers cross that you catch your flight. There is still a 10:50am nonstop departure out of EWR on Saturday October 8 EWR-BNA.  A few last things to keep in mind if you will be checking bags most airlines close check-in 45 minutes before departure for domestic flights when checking a bag and 30 minutes before departure if you are not checking a bag.  Lastly you need to think about security check point especially if you don't have TSA PRE, although you are flying home on a Saturday lines can at times be longer on Saturdays because the TSA doesn't always have same amount of check points open on Saturday as they would on a weekday.

Yes I have reconsidered, I'm a slow learner but to many telling me not to do it.  After what we went through in Miami last weekend trying get me from our cruise I don't want any problems with this cruise. I was trying to use points with Delta but it will not really work for us flying into Newark. So I think we'll try United which I haven't used since 1994. 

On 3/18/2022 at 8:46 AM, XtremeGK said:

Depending on how early before your cruise you come in and where you stay, it's actually very easy to avoid NYC proper pre-cruise (avoid NYC? Really? Work there long enough and you look for ways to avoid it). If you fly into EWR, stay in Jersey City or at an airport hotel, you can always take the train/PATH into the city for dinner or sightseeing. Hotels near the airport will be cheaper than in the city and easier for getting to the pier in the morning. If you're coming in for a few days pre-cruise, staying in the city isn't a crazy idea at all.

XtremeGK thank you for the hotel information. That was going to be my next question.      

4 hours ago, woodman1 said:

Yes I have reconsidered, I'm a slow learner but to many telling me not to do it.  After what we went through in Miami last weekend trying get me from our cruise I don't want any problems with this cruise. I was trying to use points with Delta but it will not really work for us flying into Newark. So I think we'll try United which I haven't used since 1994. 

United is the way to go when flying into/out of Newark. It’s a major hub for them, and they account for about 80% of the flights out of Newark. As a bonus, the United terminal (terminal C) at EWR is nice, where terminal A is…not.