Ipod Question

Kirsten

16 minutes ago, Kirsten said:

I like how you can still communicate with others in your party without Voom if you download the Royal app and use the chat feature.  Will the chat function also work on an iPod or iPad that doesn't have cell phone capabilities?

I'd assume that if the app works on the device, that the chat feature would work when connected to the ship wifi.  I suspect that your bigger issue would be that the app stops working and becomes unsupported on the iPod.  We used to have an extra phone that we only used on Wifi at Disney and at some point we had to stop using it since the app required a certain level of iOS and the device could not install that version.

I looked at the app in the App Store and it looks like the App requires iOS 13.0 or later on the iPhone and iPod Touch.

image.thumb.png.db89f54290531042457724f10bfa061f.png

Edited by Reigert2008

5 hours ago, Reigert2008 said:

I'd assume that if the app works on the device, that the chat feature would work when connected to the ship wifi.  I suspect that your bigger issue would be that the app stops working and becomes unsupported on the iPod.  We used to have an extra phone that we only used on Wifi at Disney and at some point we had to stop using it since the app required a certain level of iOS and the device could not install that version.

I looked at the app in the App Store and it looks like the App requires iOS 13.0 or later on the iPhone and iPod Touch.

image.thumb.png.db89f54290531042457724f10bfa061f.png

Thanks for checking!  I'll take a look at my daughter's ipod and see what OS she has.

3 hours ago, Kirsten said:

If her ipod isn't compatible, we might just suck it up and get her a phone with some limitations.  We were thinking about it anyway.

She's out of luck until we're ready to get her a phone.  Her OS on her ipod touch is 15. 🙂

Was there ever an update from Royal after Richard Fain seemed to say they would make the onboard chat feature free?   Now that he's gone, I wonder if Royal decided making it free might overwhelm the Wi-Fi capacity on the ships?   For me, it's worth having the paid Wi-Fi package and using any number of chat apps to keep in touch with folks onboard and at home.  But, I realize that's not a good option for everyone, and a free chat app would be a nice perk for some - especially families.

25 minutes ago, EmptyNestTravels said:

Was there ever an update from Royal after Richard Fain seemed to say they would make the onboard chat feature free?   Now that he's gone, I wonder if Royal decided making it free might overwhelm the Wi-Fi capacity on the ships?   For me, it's worth having the paid Wi-Fi package and using any number of chat apps to keep in touch with folks onboard and at home.  But, I realize that's not a good option for everyone, and a free chat app would be a nice perk for some - especially families.

It was Bayley that hinted it might become free and he is still around.  However Bayley does this often - hints at something that never happens.

Chat has miniscule impact on WiFi networks.  It's little text messages that represent negibigle data consumption.  The message content traffic stays on the ship so it has next to zero impact on satellite internet bandwidth other than push notifications.

I think the bigger problem is about money.  Will people really book a cruise because it's included and not book a cruise if it isn't included?  Some might say the words but in reality it probably doesn't drive booking trends so why give it away?