First Cruise

Mimikim

Hi there! My husband, daughter (9) and I will be taking our first 4 night cruise on Mariner of the Seas out of Port Canaveral at the end of April. We are cruising to Nassau, Grand Bahama Island and Coco Cay.

Since this is our first time ever on a cruise, I'm looking for ANY tips you would be so kind to share.

We opted out of the speciality dining and drink packages. 

We opted out of prepay gratuity. How does gratuity work, is it standard 18% on everything. A friend who just got back said its automatically charged to your room for literally everything.

We have not booked any excursions yet, looking for recommendations as to what is worth is at Cocoa Cay. Looking into this one, any reviews would be great. Blue Lagoon Island VIP Swim with Dolphins and Beach Day

Gratuities are $14.50 per day, per person. I prefer prepaying in advance so that the cost is already paid for and it doesn't show up every day on my SeaPass account. 18% gratuity is also added to beverages and spa/salon purchases.

More info about gratuities: https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/onboard-service-gratuity-expense

I would opt to book an excursion in Nassau and not at CocoCay if you are deciding between the two. CocoCay has a ton of fun, free activities, so an excursion is not really necessary. That being said, the waterpark may be a good option to book since you are traveling with your daughter!

Nassau is a port you usually want to plan something for instead of walking around the town without a plan.

This article has a lot of good options for what to do in Nassau: https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2022/03/04/best-things-do-nassau-cruise

1 hour ago, Mimikim said:

Hi there! My husband, daughter (9) and I will be taking our first 4 night cruise on Mariner of the Seas out of Port Canaveral at the end of April. We are cruising to Nassau, Grand Bahama Island and Coco Cay.

Since this is our first time ever on a cruise, I'm looking for ANY tips you would be so kind to share.

We opted out of the speciality dining and drink packages. 

We opted out of prepay gratuity. How does gratuity work, is it standard 18% on everything. A friend who just got back said its automatically charged to your room for literally everything.

We have not booked any excursions yet, looking for recommendations as to what is worth is at Cocoa Cay. Looking into this one, any reviews would be great. Blue Lagoon Island VIP Swim with Dolphins and Beach Day

Welcome! So exciting! You chose a great ship and itinerary for your first cruise!  😎

Jenna's article linked by her above is excellent! I will have to refer to it again for our next cruise which is stopping in Nassau!

Also take a look at the "Getting Started" section up top and linked here: https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/getting-started

If you haven't had the opportunity to watch this video created by Matt, it's an excellent place to start!

DAILY gratuities of $14.50 per person, per day ($43.50 PP/PD for the three of you) is for the services of your stateroom attendant, head waiter, waiter, and assistant waiter in the Main Dining Room.

Many choose to pre-pay these so that (1.) It's one less thing to pay for on your credit card after the vacation and (2.) If you're booking well ahead of time and making payments to the booking until the final payment date, it's an easier expense to cover.

An 18% gratuity is automatically charged for specific purchases you make on board. (drinks, specialty dining, spa services)

Welcome to the boards! Use the search function you'll find plenty of answers to your questions and a lot of great advise!

For your first cruise, I recommend enjoying all the free food options available.  Sure, specialty dining is nice but it's required to enjoy the cruise.  The pre-paid gratuities cover your cabin attendant, waiters at complimentary dining areas (like main dining room, windjammer buffet, etc), and other staff that perform standard/free services during the cruise.  This is a daily per person charge that is added to your account.  Paying in advance has the advantage of locking in the rate.  So if Royal raises the gratuities before your cruise, you aren't required to pay the higher amount.

For any services you purchase during the cruise (drinks from a bartender, spa appointments, or specialty dining), 18% tip is added to the cost.  Note this doesn't apply to merchandise purchased on board.

Welcome to the forums and to the start of your cruise life! Haha!

As the gratuities question has been answered (and I am team pre-pay just to avoid that large sticker at the end of the cruise), I will instead comment on the drink package. I think I would recommend at least getting the soda package. It's under $10 per person per day and gives you access to the Coke freestyle machines which, in addition to Soda, also have flavored water, electrolyte beverages and concentrate juices like lemonade. You might find you get bored of or feel limited with the free drink options. (Alternatively, you could also bring cans of soda [and wine] on board which could be more cost effective if you know you won't drink much).

And now...here are some things I wish I had known before my first cruise:

• If you are flying in / driving in from a distance longer a couple hours - come. in. the. day. before.  I get it. I do. A debarkation time of early evening makes it seem like you have PLENTY of time to get to the port and get on board but you never know what can happen and you do NOT want to be stressed the day of worried that your vacation will leave without you. (stated from experience)
  • You can order more than one of...everything at the Main Dining Room. If you see several apps or entrees that you spark your interest, get them! It's all included and the staff will not complain - in fact they often encourage you to get more!
  • The stateroom bathrooms are PITCH BLACK. And the overhead light is BRIGHT. In the middle of the night that overhead light will burn your eyes. Go to Dollar tree and get the battery operated LED tea lights. These offer enough light to your dark-adjusted eyes but don't hurt them.
  • Bring at least $100 more in cash than you think you need. Even if you're not buying a bunch of stuff on the islands, there is an opportunity to further tip the staff at the end of the trip and if you're anything like me, you don't want to be staring at those envelopes on your bed thinking about all the great service and interactions you've gotten but having less than $10 in your pocket. TRUE - you can go to guest services for more cash but the last-day line at guest services can be notoriously long and stressful.
  • The trivias actually CAN be fun!
  • It's worth getting off the ship even if you don't have an excursion planned. There are great things to look at and plenty of vendors there eager to give you a tour or adventure.
  • You are NOT locked to leave at your debarkation time! You can either:
    • leave on your own when the ship first docks (carrying off all your luggage) OR
    • hang out til the last group. Your luggage will still be in the port and as far as I know, the group assignment is primarily to (1) avoid huge crowds and (2) to let you (and the porters) know when and where to get your luggage.
  • The $10 promenade sales are so fun!

I'm sure there's more I've forgotten, but I hope these tips help!

Our first cruise was on Mariner in 2019.  We’ve been hooked on cruising ever since.  

My two cents of advice:  Don’t feel like you have to experience everything the ship has to offer in one cruise.  Enjoy what you’re doing in the moment and try not to wonder if there’s something better.

One more bit of advice that we were given on our first cruise is to just explore the ship.  Use common sense (ie don’t go in Crew Only areas and abide by all signage) and check things out…open the doors, go down the decks, find all the out of the way places open to guests. 

Have fun. 

You can carry on 2 bottles of wine/champagne and 12 cans/bottles of water/soda type beverage (see link for specific size allocations) per stateroom.  I find it easiest to do this in a small carryon luggage with wheels and wheel it around until the cabin opens.  That same luggage can be used for any souvenirs you purchase!  https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/food-drink-onboard-policy  

I like to bring my own Yeti (cup that can do hot or cold drinks) so I can fill it with coffee  in the morning....the ceramic cups are "diner size" and I won't have to get up for refills and I can walk around the ship with my coffee.

There is a small hairdryer in the room (no attachment)
There is essentially one outlet -some ships may have usb port but not all so a multi usb base  outlet is a good thing to bring. (extension cords not allowed)
I like to pack a portable charger in case my phone dies (I do get the wifi package to stay connected with family and keep up on things)

Fill out your receipts if you purchase drinks....there will be a space to add an additional tip-write CASH if giving additional cash or NONE and complete the bottom.

If you have not yet done your check in, do it now, download the app, click on Check in-upload your documents, pick your check in time for the pier.
Gather your documents for travel (vax cards, passport or other required proof) Choose to print your seapass card or use the app to display a the pier. Order test kits via Royal Caribbean, emed.com or make appointments to get those done when appointments become available. and bring that proof to the pier.

Once onboard, do your muster drill in the app and you have to physically go to your station and scan in.  Book your onboard entertainment.  

Pack some OTC meds in case you need them, not everything is available on the ship.

There is typically a "drink of the day" on the ship....and that drink has been  $10 plus tax/gratuity. 

Register with Royal Caribbean now to get a Crown and Anchor number for each of you.....it says you won't get loyalty points until after your first cruise (in other words first cruise doesn't count) but some people have been able to register prior to their first cruise and get the loyalty points.    https://www.royalcaribbean.com/crown-anchor-society

Read the pages on this discussion group.....lots of great info.  I've been hear over a year and still learn new things.

IMHO I would recommend you reconsider getting the drink package - even if just the soda or refreshment package, so that you get the souvenir cup for the Freestyle drink machines, and can get "free" non-alcoholic drinks throughout the day on the ship and in CocoCay.  The Freestyle machines onboard dispense more than just soda and include vitamin water, Powerade, flat or carbonated Dasani water (you're going to want to stay hydrated); and you can add multiple flavor options to all soft-drinks as you desire).  Not having to pay for water and other drinks (which could be available only at mealtimes could be a lifesaver and money-saver).   

While the deluxe alcohol drink package is expensive, the refreshment and soda packages are much more reasonable IMHO, and well worth it.  The gratuities are included in the drink package purchase price, so you would not be paying any additional gratuities onboard for beverages that are included in the packages.   

If you decide to purchase alcoholic beverages onboard, you will pay the going price (usually around $10.00 each) + an 18% gratuity added on top of that. The cost for the alcoholic beverage(s) and gratuity on those purchased alcoholic drinks will be added directly to your SeaPass card account. 

Your SeaPass account needs to be paid (cash or charged to a credit card) before you leave the ship at the end of the cruise.

Welcome to the board.

Lots of great advice that has already been given and I agree with all of it.

I learned a lot by watching many, many and many of Matt's awesome youtube videos.

While the advice hear is great, I find the visual aspect of the videos shows certain things that help you get quickly adjusted once you are on the ship. So you are not wasting to much time just figuring things out.

And like someone already said, just take the time to enjoy your cruising vacation

12 minutes ago, Allen2 said:

One important thought: if you have any shipboard credit (from travel agent, RCL offer, stock ownership program, etc) this can be used toward tips.

Any OBC is applied to your on board account in general.  If you don't prepay the daily service charges they will get applied on board to that same on board account so any OBC can offset those.  OBC isn't always applied equally across all guests in a cabin so it may work out better for one guest compared to another.  That's not a problem for many families but could be if cruising with friends.