Test Kit Reimbursement??

CJS2766

Hello all,

I searched before posting this and forgive me if I did indeed miss it. Does anyone know if you purchase the Covid test kits from RC if they are reimbursable from your insurance company? In the past we have always been able to go to a CVS or Walgreens, but we have a upcoming Alaska cruise in 65 days and with flying in early, we only have 1 day where we can test. I decided to purchase the test kit from RC and try it at home. Our previous tests have always been free. Are these kits eligible for a refund through insurance? We have BC/BS if that makes any difference?

Thanks all!

Carlos

17 minutes ago, PPPJJ-GCVAB said:

So I have 7 people cruising who will need to test on Saturday April 2.  The emed tests come in pack of 6!  Anyone have suggestion for that 7th person??  If I order today do you think I will receive the kits on time?

You could get a 2-pack from Optum.

https://store.optum.com/shop/products/abbott-binaxNOW-COVID-19-ag-at-home-test-kit-2-pack-rc/

19 minutes ago, PPPJJ-GCVAB said:

So I have 7 people cruising who will need to test on Saturday April 2.  The emed tests come in pack of 6!  Anyone have suggestion for that 7th person??  If I order today do you think I will receive the kits on time?

6 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

If testing for 7, personally I would have a minimum of 10 tests.  MANY reports out there of test kits that have been invalidated for one reason or another 

19 minutes ago, PPPJJ-GCVAB said:

Mine were shipped overnight the same week I ordered them. But, I would order them soon, just to be safe. Also, I would get two packs so you have extras on-hand in case there is an error on one of the tests, like a result comes back inconclusive and you need to take another test.

8 minutes ago, RWDW1204 said:

Unfortunately ours does not unless it's prescribed.  Just using for travel doesn't work.

Your insurance company is committing a felonious act for denying you Covid test coverage, regardless of the reason.  The law does not differentiate between testing for travel and/or any other reason. 

That's what we asked.

This is directly from website also:

"Starting January 15, 2022, private health insurers must cover the cost of eight at-home COVID-19 tests per month. However, this policy will not apply to TRICARE. TRICARE will only cover an at-home COVID test if a TRICARE-authorized provider prescribes it. If you buy an at-home test without a prescription, TRICARE will not cover it."

eMed is not an authorized TRICARE provider.

10 minutes ago, RWDW1204 said:

That's what we asked.

This is directly from website also:

"Starting January 15, 2022, private health insurers must cover the cost of eight at-home COVID-19 tests per month. However, this policy will not apply to TRICARE. TRICARE will only cover an at-home COVID test if a TRICARE-authorized provider prescribes it. If you buy an at-home test without a prescription, TRICARE will not cover it."

eMed is not an authorized TRICARE provider.

Did not realize you were a Tri Care member; yes, unfortunately, the Federal Government always has a carve out that protects them from their own policies.

"Good enough for thee, but not for me"

Thanks everyone...truly appreciate your input.  Now I am wondering about the reimbursement!  If I order all the tests...does each person try to get reimbursed by their own insurance provider?  My husband and I have Medicare Advantage...which I do not believe is considered a private insurer so now I need to find out if they will reimburse too!

Such a nightmare...it was much easier getting tested when COVID was running rampant.  RI has now stopped testing free unless you are actually symptomatic!  There is no place to get tested without paying mega-bucks!  So the eMed method certainly is the cheapest...even if no reimbursement happens!

I SO hope by September (my next cruise) there will be no need for tests!!!

1 hour ago, CJS2766 said:

Hello all,

I searched before posting this and forgive me if I did indeed miss it. Does anyone know if you purchase the Covid test kits from RC if they are reimbursable from your insurance company? In the past we have always been able to go to a CVS or Walgreens, but we have a upcoming Alaska cruise in 65 days and with flying in early, we only have 1 day where we can test. I decided to purchase the test kit from RC and try it at home. Our previous tests have always been free. Are these kits eligible for a refund through insurance? We have BC/BS if that makes any difference?

Thanks all!

Carlos

Does this mean that Royal Caribbean accepts at home tests as proof of negative covid test for travel?  I thought you needed to have it done at a lab.  Does anyone know if they accept the at home test?

I just sent in my reimbursement form.  Get a reimbursement form from your insurance carrier online, print a copy of both the charged email and the Rx approval from emed (that's your prescription) and submit by mail.  Waiting to see how much my insurance pays me still.

44 minutes ago, ambica97 said:

Does this mean that Royal Caribbean accepts at home tests as proof of negative covid test for travel?  I thought you needed to have it done at a lab.  Does anyone know if they accept the at home test?

They accept at home tests as long as they are proctored through an online tele health visit.  These tests MUST be purchased from one of 2 vendors online (not in your local drugstore)

www.emed.com

www.store.optum.com

My insurance company does not cover all brands of tests, the Binax Now at home test is not covered.  They list about 10 over the counter tests that are.  I'm sure there is some sort of guidelines they are following.  If anyone has the actual written law as to what is required to be covered please let me know.

24 minutes ago, Pattycruise said:

If anyone has the actual written law as to what is required to be covered please let me know.

When plans and insurers make tests available for upfront coverage through preferred pharmacies or retailers, they are still required to reimburse tests purchased by consumers outside of that network, at a rate of up to $12 per individual test (or the cost of the test, if less than $12). For example, if an individual has a plan that offers direct coverage through their preferred pharmacy but that individual instead purchases tests through an online retailer, the plan is still required to reimburse them up to $12 per individual test.

https://www.hhs.gov/about/news/2022/01/10/biden-harris-administration-requires-insurance-companies-group-health-plans-to-cover-cost-at-home-covid-19-tests-increasing-access-free-tests.html

Here is what the Medicare website says about COVID-19 test coverage:

Currently, Original Medicare doesn't pay for over-the-counter COVID-19 tests. You can pick up free at-home tests from community health centers and Medicare-certified health clinics. Or, visit COVIDtests.gov to order a free COVID-19 at-home test.

In early Spring 2022, people with Medicare will be able to go to a network of pharmacies and health care facilities to get up to 8 free, over-the-counter COVID-19 tests a month through Medicare. More information will be available in early Spring.

Some Medicare Advantage Plans may cover and pay for at-home over-the-counter COVID-19 tests as an added benefit. Check with your plan to see if it will cover and pay for these tests.

I am not sure what Medicare defines as "over the counter" nor am I sure it would cover the BINAX Now proxy-ed test accepted by RCCL.

One more piece of information from the CMS.gov website (CMS is the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Sevices)

1. What if I already bought and paid for at-home over-the-counter COVID-19 tests?  Can I still get reimbursement for those?

Plans and insurers are required to cover at-home over-the-counter COVID-19 tests purchased on or after January 15, 2022. Plans or issuers may, but are not required by federal law to, provide such coverage for at-home over-the-counter COVID-19 tests purchased before January 15. Contact your health plan to inquire about getting reimbursed for tests purchased before January 15, 2022.  Some states may have existing requirements related to coverage of at-home over-the-counter COVID-19 tests.