Time Changes

Not necessarily true. We are on Navigator now and we had a time change on day 1 (forward 1 hour) leaving Miami and heading to Bonaire. We'll get the hour back on the last couple of days I guess.

oh, I guess I could be mistaken then.  I guess I've just never been on a voyage that had that happen.  I guess it's best to check with guest relations after you get on board.

I took a Panama Canal cruise earlier this year and I was so confused about time changes. I think for five days in a row we went ahead, back, ahead, etc. No one knew what time it was. Passengers kept missing their excursions because it was so confusing. It was listed in the paper and on the loudspeakers but it was still confusing. I turn my IPhone off when I get on the ship so I can't even use it as a clock, I don't want any charges from my carrier. I finally bought a small travel alarm clock but I still have to remember to change the time.

We switched times on this eastern Caribbean cruise, but you don't need to do any math for subtracting hours. Whatever is listed for port time is Ship's time regardless if the ship's time matches up with the actual port time. Does that make sense?

What I think you are trying to say that if the ship is listed in port from 8:00AM - 5:00PM that this is ships time, not necessarily local time, which could be 7:00-4:00 or 9:00-6:00.

As we were told when we went to Cozumel on my first cruise, "Do not ask a local what time it is or you will become one".

We switched times on this eastern Caribbean cruise, but you don't need to do any math for subtracting hours. Whatever is listed for port time is Ship's time regardless if the ship's time matches up with the actual port time. Does that make sense?

No

Thanks so much for the answers!

The reason I am asking is that we are doing an excursion in St. Thomas. (Not one by RCI) They have told us to be in front of the windmill at 11am their time. The schedule does say that the ship docks at 8am so we will make it in time, but I'll just need to confirm if we are on Eastern or have switched the hour ahead to Atlantic time (The time in St. Thomas), so we aren't an hour early meeting our guide.

The reason I am asking is that we are doing an excursion in St. Thomas. (Not one by RCI) They have told us to be in front of the windmill at 11am their time. The schedule does say that the ship docks at 8am so we will make it in time, but I'll just need to confirm if we are on Eastern or have switched the hour ahead to Atlantic time (The time in St. Thomas), so we aren't an hour early meeting our guide.

Tour operators are pretty aware of the schedule and know how it goes with these ships. Convey the time you are scheduled to dock based on what is published on RC's site and go from there.

Unfortunately, it sounds like this varies per ship and you won't know if you will be switching to local time until you are onboard. We did switch to Atlantic time last week on Anthem, but when I sailed on Freedom in September, the ship time never switched to Central time so we kept our watches to ship time.

• 5 weeks later...

The rule is it's up to the Captain. Sometimes the time will change, other times you will stay on "ship time".

I've found that they'll tell you what time zone to follow, but usually staying on ship's time is the best way to ensure you'll make it back in time. I always try to get back on the ship at least an hour before sail away time just to be safe. 

I've found that they'll tell you what time zone to follow, but usually staying on ship's time is the best way to ensure you'll make it back in time. I always try to get back on the ship at least an hour before sail away time just to be safe.

I also go into the settings of my cell phone and shut off the auto time set option; otherwise, you could end up on local time instead of ship's time.

I took a Panama Canal cruise earlier this year and I was so confused about time changes. I think for five days in a row we went ahead, back, ahead, etc. No one knew what time it was. Passengers kept missing their excursions because it was so confusing. It was listed in the paper and on the loudspeakers but it was still confusing. I turn my IPhone off when I get on the ship so I can't even use it as a clock, I don't want any charges from my carrier. I finally bought a small travel alarm clock but I still have to remember to change the time.

Me too !

On one cruise I became really confused and called one of our daughters - it was early hours of the morning in the UK !! I've never lived that one down. These days I always keep my mobile at our local time and hubby changes his in line with the ships. We check before calling anyone - lesson learned folks