MDR food request

mslman

On the last two sailings with my celebrity/fan Doctor Who group, both of which were on Explorer Of The Seas, we discovered that there was actually a complete printed Indian menu that the waiter could bring you if you knew to ask for it.  I assume it is similar on the other ships in the fleet, as they are cooking a lot of these dishes for the crew anyway, and are happy to let you know what's available.

On 3/15/2022 at 4:56 AM, mslman said:

Has anyone had any luck recently with food requests in the main dining room? Mainly asking for savory bite.

I sailed on Adventure in January, and I asked about the savory bites (based on posts I'd read here).  My waiter hadn't heard of them, so he sent the headwaiter over; the headwaiter told me it was something they did "a long time ago" and he wasn't sure it would be doable, but that he would check with the chef for me.  Every night for the rest of the cruise, a plate of savory bites magically showed up on the table not long after we sat down!

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/15/2022 at 4:56 AM, mslman said:

Has anyone had any luck recently with food requests in the main dining room? Mainly asking for savory bite.

My experience is that they, the crew, will bend over backwards for you, if it's possible, they'll do it as long as it's legal and non-fattening (well forget the non-fattening part).  I just hope that extra effort by the very accommodating crew gets extra compensation for their efforts.  

1 hour ago, jay1021 said:

My experience is that they, the crew, will bend over backwards for you, if it's possible, they'll do it as long as it's legal and non-fattening (well forget the non-fattening part).  I just hope that extra effort by the very accommodating crew gets extra compensation for their efforts.  

You are cracking me up today!

6 minutes ago, KDK said:

I am nervous that asking for special requests will add stress to my servers. Is it something that they expect, or will it make me look like a real pain?

While I always try to be the best person I can be for the crew, I still have to think to myself that I paid a lot of money for the cruise and I'm going to have the best time and service I can possibly have.  But, I do go overboard trying not to be the "ugly American".  Okay, I can't help one of those things.  But, unless you are asking for the impossible, I'd go ahead and ask for it.  If they can't, they'll let you know.

7 minutes ago, jay1021 said:

While I always try to be the best person I can be for the crew, I still have to think to myself that I paid a lot of money for the cruise and I'm going to have the best time and service I can possibly have.  But, I do go overboard trying not to be the "ugly American".  Okay, I can't help one of those things.  But, unless you are asking for the impossible, I'd go ahead and ask for it.  If they can't, they'll let you know.

Oh, I forgot to mention, you'd be surprised how much an extra tip can relieve stress.  

We rewrite the menu in every restaurant we go. On Symphony once we were with a group of friends in Hooked, I don't eat fish so I asked the host who was amazing. He had recently moved from NCL, not only did he organise me a bespoke meal of what he called "Sea Chicken" he also made the head chef bring it out. I am very picky, not difficult and I find if you treat them well, they will go out of their way to assist you wherever they can.

1 hour ago, Jolly Ogre said:

I had to ask for them on Allure several years ago and they are simply the best, however my wife says its to much bread as she likes the bread they already bring.

I have not had them since 2019 😞

She doesn't have to eat the Savory Bites! You're missing out on the full cruising experience if you don't ask for them.

Savory bites are not my cup of tea.

I am a picky eater and have never had a problem with request. As a solo traveler sometimes, I will order 2 or 3 entrees in smaller portions in case I don't like something.

The truth is you are paying your hard-earned money for this vacation and should eat what you like. A tip does help justify what might be consider high maintenance requests but at the same time you are allowed to live your best life.