Booking 2 BR AquaTheater Suite - June 2018 - Advice?

mathbees

Hello,

We are planning a large family get together and it would be very convenient to book the 2 bedroom AquaTheater Suit on Decks 9 or 10 (for 7 or 8 people).  The cruise will be in June 2018 (to coincide with my daughter's 21st birthday).  We are willing to be a little flexible on our dates, but want the cruise to start on or after her birthday, preferably within 2-3 weeks.

I know the suites are hard to get a that time of year and that the cruise itineraries should be announced sometime between January and March/April 2017, based on the rumor board discussions.

So my questions for all of you with experience on this:

1. Is this a realistic goal or will they be booked as soon as the itineraries are announced?

2. If it is realistic, is there a best way to go about this (getting a private TA lined up prior to the itineraries being released or working directly with a RC TA?).  Unfortunately for me, I have low level status on a competitor's line (6 cruises), but nothing on RC.... yet.   Based on the amenities and such, I'm sure my wife and I will become long time RC cruisers. 

3. Does RC hold these particular cabins for larger groups?

Obviously, I will attempt to get these cabins and fall back to other options if the AquaTheater suite is not available (like the 4BR Family Suite).  We will be getting at least one additional cabin and possibly 3 or 4, depending on family's availability - so in some ways the 4BR is convenient.  However, we also know that it might be nice for everyone to have separate cabins (for solitude...).

Thanks for the assist and happy cruising all!

Gary

Based on your post, I'd say you should book it as soon as it becomes available. Suites tend to go quickly because they are desirable and there are few of them.  Moreover, I would absolutely recommend working with a travel agent. They can do the work for you and be ready to jump on it when it becomes available.

Agree. The ATSs go quickly. Sometimes they hold those suites for a minimum number of guests but sometimes they leave them in general inventory (which means that you can book it with only 2 persons) so you have to check to see if one is available if it doesn't appear on the website. They don't last under any circumstances so decide as early as you can. Getting 2 on the same cruise would be very difficult.

Based on your post, I'd say you should book it as soon as it becomes available. Suites tend to go quickly because they are desirable and there are few of them.  Moreover, I would absolutely recommend working with a travel agent. They can do the work for you and be ready to jump on it when it becomes available.

Thanks, Matt.  I am definitely planning to jump on it as soon as itineraries are announced.  I've been on many cruises but never used a TA for a cruise before as I love to do the research (I think I was a TA in a former life).  We took a recent trip to Orlando and used a TA because we were meeting up with friends and they had the TA lined up before we signed on.  I found the experience to be underwhelming, as I saw no value add from the TA.  In fact, I had to correct the TA on what accommodations were available at Universal Studios (they didn't realize that the Hard Rock had both a Cafe and a hotel).

With that said, I'm assuming my best bet would be to use a RC TA directly?  Will they start working with me before the itineraries are released so we can jump on it immediately?

Agree. The ATSs go quickly. Sometimes they hold those suites for a minimum number of guests but sometimes they leave them in general inventory (which means that you can book it with only 2 persons) so you have to check to see if one is available if it doesn't appear on the website. They don't last under any circumstances so decide as early as you can. Getting 2 on the same cruise would be very difficult.

Thanks WaaayTooo...  Basing my opinion on your other posts (yes, I've been lurking for a while), you seem to also have a wealth of knowledge and experience, so I definitely appreciate the input.  Fortunately I'm only looking for one suite... a base of operations, as it were.  The other cabin will likely be an inside balcony near the suite.  I'm much less concerned about getting the balcony, as we can be very flexible on that one.  I know the suite will be the biggest challenge.

Again, thanks to both of you for you insights.

If you're willing to pay the bucks for an A2 (decks 9 or 10) I would suggest that you consider going just a few dollars more and getting the A1 (Deck 8). It's not that much more and those rooms are UGE ! the deck has a table that seats 8 comfortably and it would really be the best option for getting that big group together.

I'm not saying that 9 or 10 wouldn't be great, but 8 is really impressive.

All of the 2BR ATS are Star class so the amenities aren't any different but the rooms (and balconies) go down in size as they go up (higher deck numbers).

Good luck with snagging an ATS !

I've stayed in an A1 and it was amazing! You can always book directly with royal and then transfer your registration to a travel agent. They should give you around $1000 OBC for this type of room (the travel agent, not RC).

PS staying star class is AMAZING. highly recommended

With that said, I'm assuming my best bet would be to use a RC TA directly?  Will they start working with me before the itineraries are released so we can jump on it immediately?

Yes, find a good TA that you like and convey what you want and they can be ready to go when it becomes available.

• 2 months later...

Thanks everyone, for the advice on this.  I thought I'd just add a quick follow up that I was able to get the A2 suite (alas, too slow for the A1... but hopefully it'll open up...).  I've booked and transferred to MEI.  Thanks to Matt, WaaayTooo and everyone else.  This site proves to be invaluable insight.

Now I'm just counting down the days, and there are far too many to count, right now... When I'm down to days on my fingers and toes I'll likely be bursting at the seams.