CoCo Cay Snorkeling

We are interested in snorkeling at CoCo Cay on our Anthem cruise in April, but the snorkeling excursion in the cruise planner is sold out.  People have said that we can bring our own gear and snorkel? Are there any restrictions considering we aren’t part of an official excursion? Will it be easy to find a spot to go into the water, and assuming we are able to do this on our own, does anyone have any tops for best sports to hit?

Any info would be great!  We aren’t experts, but have snorkeled before (Cozumel in 2019) and just want to see some fish and enjoy the water! Should we bother bringing  fins?

I have snorkeled at Coco a couple of times in the last few months, no restrictions, just walk into the water and start swimming.

Not sure about the vests question, i haven't felt the need for one so i didn't go looking.

There are lifeguards out on platforms so i felt comfortable that if i did have any "current" issues they would be available for an assist.

This is exactly the kind of info I was hoping for, thank you very much!  Basically everything is sold out on the day we will be there, so I wanted an option other than the main pool incase that area is over crowded.  The last time we were at CoCo Cay was 1994 on Majesty (Honeymoon cruise). We snorkeled then, and I bought a cheap disposable underwater camera - we hade a great time.  It's change a bit since then! 

Any advice on fins/flippers vs not bothering with them? It's a lot easier to pack just mask and snorkel, but we aren't flying so could certainly bring them too if it makes sense to do so.

2 hours ago, jticarruthers said:

I dont bother to bring the fins and havent felt the need to have them.

I agree, we didn't use our fins either. I just kept my water shoes on (stepped on a sea urchin about 20 years ago and am super paranoid now). We did not have an excursion. My advice is to go early so there isn't as much sand stirred up. When we went we saw so many sleeping stingrays...it was amazing! And fish, but the rays were my fave.

When we went last fall I didn't see much but I think I was in the wrong area. But then I saw a sting ray between the beach and the floating cabanas which was cool. I think I need to check out the area by the rocks to the left of the jet ski area. I was mostly to the right of the jet skis.

We snorkeled at C.Cay without fins with our older teenage boys. We are a family of lifeguards though, OK Mom and Dad are older lifeguards. No Baywatch here folks. You will cover a lot more ground with the fins. The snorkeling was fun but not next level so be ready for that. It is a great free activity. Even sold out the shack may have fins for you, and I thought lifevests were hanging on a rack free for the taking. Don't quote me on the lifevests that might have been elsewhere. Maybe a more experienced person will have intel on the vests. 

Diehard Pats fan as well! Mac forever!

I brought my equipment in February but was too afraid to go in the water.  There were plenty of lifeguards.  They even used a jet ski to go really far out.  But not only was the water cold in Feb., everyone that came running our of the water after snorkeling were yelling that they were getting bit by fish on their legs and it hurt.  I'm not sure what was biting, but I didn't want to find out.  I saved my equipment for a Roatan snorkeling excursion.

Odd, I was there on cruises 2/11 and 2/25 ... water was chilly but didnt hear anyone having biting issues.

Definitely not A+ snorkeling but they have a few "sunken" objects that attract fish and can be fun to look at. 

Generally speaking if you swim out near the "platforms" they are markers for stuff.

As others have said, buy and bring your own gear.  We spent probably 60 days in the last 12 months, snorkeling. Good brand is Cressi, they aren't expensive (less than $100 for the set), but way better than the really cheap stuff. Once you own your own, you will never go back.

Don't buy/bring "travel fins".  They are just so bad, almost worthless. 

If you are at all uncertain of the water, OR if you are snorkeling where they require snorkelers to wear life jackets (Mexico), buy an inexpensive snorkeling vest from Amazon. It can be inflated if you need the help, but uninflated you can easily dive down.

Baby shampoo (NOT shampoo and wash, just plain shampoo).  Best thing ever for fogging face mask.

Our trip to Hawaii is when I purchased my first snorkel gear. It was cheap and did the trick on that vacation. That Christmas my wife surprised me with a Cressi snorkel set. Like stated above, well worth the investment. Set works awesome and I bring it with me on almost every vacation.

On 3/15/2022 at 7:51 AM, Woody283 said:

Is the vest available without a snorkeling package?

We bought ours at Amazon.  The issue is when there is a strong current.  I had difficulty on day at Coco Cay when the outgoing current was strong.  Divers and kayaks had to be towed back to shore.  My son returned to beach safely, but at 60+ I could only manage to get to the rocks at the edge of the cove.  On a calm day you won't need a vest or flippers, but on other days you will.  Hence my advice...