Best Drinks While in Galveston?!

Hey!

The first time we cruised out of Galveston I completely forgot that they don't offer a full bar service while still in Texan waters. We'll be leaving out of Galveston again soon and I want to be more prepared! What's your favorite drink to get while still in Texan waters? I prefer something sweet and typically get the Pretty 'n Pink specialty drink while on the ship. 

Ideas? 

Made me think about something there.  I didn't buy anything persay but on my B2B on Liberty everyone staying on who went to the Windjammer ended up with a glass of Champagne or sparkling wine of some sort.  I know we were flying high by that point anyway.  You could easily take an extra bottle of wine and after you park your car split it with whomever you are traveling with.  By the time you are on the ship you should be feeling pretty good.  I actually might have to start doing that as well, sounds like it will make starting a vacation more fun.

We were on Liberty 2 weeks ago.  The "Texas" selections were just terrible. Almost undrinkable.  Beer selections were OK, the wine was so bad it was funny. Our cruise got in early (5pm on Saturday) because of a medical emergency.  Fortunately, we'd brought 2 bottles of wine onboard for friends doing a B2B, and we had that for her birthday dinner.

13 hours ago, Bill S said:

We were on Liberty 2 weeks ago.  The "Texas" selections were just terrible. Almost undrinkable.  Beer selections were OK, the wine was so bad it was funny. Our cruise got in early (5pm on Saturday) because of a medical emergency.  Fortunately, we'd brought 2 bottles of wine onboard for friends doing a B2B, and we had that for her birthday dinner.

They aren't "Texas" selections.  They are what Royal has chosen to serve.  There are no restrictions what Royal can serve, they just have to pay state liquor tax on what they serve while in TX waters. 

Why Royal serves what hey do, I can't speak to; but sailing out of Galveston a couple times a year, I have never found the drink the first few hours "undrinkable".

I understand why Royal serves a reduced amount due to paying the state liquor tax... I guess I was looking for any recommendations people drink. Something fun or new people have tried or different concoctions they've put together with what's available! I don't drink much in every day life so I typically find one or two signature drinks on the ship I like and stick with that. I struggle with a limited menu and was looking for a good list of options! 

4 hours ago, TXcruzer said:

They aren't "Texas" selections.  They are what Royal has chosen to serve.  There are no restrictions what Royal can serve, they just have to pay state liquor tax on what they serve while in TX waters. 

Why Royal serves what hey do, I can't speak to; but sailing out of Galveston a couple times a year, I have never found the drink the first few hours "undrinkable".

OK, I'll be specific.  My wife had a Maitai.  The rum was like turpentine.  I had a "bourbon and diet".  The bourbon was not good.  I don't recall the label, but it wasn't one I'd heard of.   I didn't drink it.  I DO like the idea of a bloody mary.  Vodka is hard to screw up in a mixed drink.  I stuck with beer and micheladas while in Texas waters. 

1 hour ago, GatorCruiser said:

how long is a ship in Texas waters?

edit: did some research https://www.cruzely.com/answered-first-day-drink-packages-and-alcohol-on-galveston-cruises/

Sailaway on Liberty is usually 4:30pm. We had early dining in February, and I could only have the house red/white etc. until about half way through dinner - about 6 or 6:30ish. They brought me the wine menu at that point, even though I knew what I wanted.

38 minutes ago, melmar02 said:

Sailaway on Liberty is usually 4:30pm. We had early dining in February, and I could only have the house red/white etc. until about half way through dinner - about 6 or 6:30ish. They brought me the wine menu at that point, even though I knew what I wanted.

Yeah I read it’s about 2 hours sailing or 12 nautical miles to international waters. Y’all read how carnival doesn’t let you use your beverage package till the next day? Heck with that!

1 hour ago, GatorCruiser said:

Yeah I read it’s about 2 hours sailing or 12 nautical miles to international waters. Y’all read how carnival doesn’t let you use your beverage package till the next day? Heck with that!

And charges you sales tax on every drink you order

NO Thank You