Drink Price Increase

bsbrady

I'm loyal to Royal but not going to be fleeced. It never set well with me when they first started offering the drink packages, they raised the price of drinks to the point to where I felt It best to buy the package for the wife and myself. Not once yet did we drink to the total of both. Effective strategy on RC's part you might say. A couple cruises back we didn't purchase the package. Going off the previous pricing, didn't find a value to it for us. That is until I got in board and ordered a beer and frozen cocktail and signed for around $23. That's when I realized RC was digging in deeper and the cost of cruising for us just got significantly more expensive. The other part that I don't like about it is the decreased bar service around the pools and private islands now that drink packages are offered. Used to be they were everywhere. Now, with the drink packages, the roving bar staff has decreased significantly. When at the pool or private island, most of the time, I have to go fetch my own drinks. Now, I love cruising and RC but enough is enough. Sorry for the rant! Lol

Seeing as Celebrity and NCL quite often include the drink packages in their price, I am surprised that RCL continues to raise their pricing higher! On some cruises, the drink package can almost double the price of a cruise.

Is the demand really there, or are people just not aware of other options....or are people willing to pay this premium price for this cruise line for some reason?

The thing that gets me is I pre paid for my drink package with the expectation of drink prices up to ~$12-$13, which would be covered under my package (going on allure so up to $13 is included) Now is prices are $15 - $18  per drink, I paid for the package and then have to shell out $3 - $5 per drink +18% on top of that. That should be illegal. Its like RCl increasing the price of the cruise after you book and them telling you , in order to board you have to pay us more. 

The thing that gets me is I pre paid for my drink package with the expectation of drink prices up to ~$12-$13, which would be covered under my package (going on allure so up to $13 is included) Now is prices are $15 - $18 per drink, I paid for the package and then have to shell out $3 - $5 per drink +18% on top of that. That should be illegal. Its like RCl increasing the price of the cruise after you book and them telling you , in order to board you have to pay us more.

I agree with you. If you already purchased with the expection of drinks being covered up to 12-13 dollars then they would have to honor that! No? Sounds unethical in the least, illegal probably. Bait/switch?? I really don't believe RC would play that game, in all honesty.

There have been instances of holiday pricing reported this week, but it is expected to go down again after the holidays.

If this is true, then it's unconscionable as people are already paying a premium for a holiday sailing.

I'm all about Royal making money; after all, they are a business. But as I write this, I just realized that Disney does the same thing. They charge more for rooms during the holidays and increase the prices of the buffets, so I either can't be critical or need to hold Disney accountable, too.

Regarding the $12-$13 drink price limit, I suspect nobody is being asked to pay more. If they were, we'd be hearing about outcry from those onboard. This likely only affects those not on any sort of package.

I'm all about Royal making money; after all, they are a business. But as I write this, I just realized that Disney does the same thing. They charge more for rooms during the holidays and increase the prices of the buffets, so I either can't be critical or need to hold Disney accountable, too.

I forgot Disney does this too, so good point. 

I'd be curious to see if this is happening on like Brilliance of the Seas too.  We already know the newer ships get higher prices for drink packages, so curious how far this extends.

as long as I don't have to shell out extra for 99% of the drinks I get, I'm ok with this.  However, I would not be opposed to taking the built in service charge off the drink packages and just being charged the "would be 18%" on each drink you get if you have the package.  This will keep the servers getting their proper gratuities, especially from those heavy drinkers (like me) that they have to tend to more. 

I do typically pick my favorite server or 2 each day and earmark a little more than the built in gratuity for them, though.

It would also be kind of cool to have each server's name attached to the folio record of your order on your seapass card, then additionally have the ability to add extra gratuity for whoever you want to right from your stateroom tv screen.

If this is true, then it's unconscionable as people are already paying a premium for a holiday sailing.

Regarding the $12-$13 drink price limit, I suspect nobody is being asked to pay more. If they were, we'd be hearing about outcry from those onboard. This likely only affects those not on any sort of package.

Disney charges for the buffet?!?!? What kind of nonsense is that?

On Nav now and haven't heard any outcry....which I'm sure I would have heard by now if peoples' drinks were more expensive than what was covered by the bev plan. I don't think this has happened on Nav. Maybe just on the bigger ships.

It seems premium pricing, in general, is reserved to Oasis class ships

I'm pretty sure they're talking about the buffets at WDW and not on the DCL. Someone want to confirm that DCL does not charge separately for buffets on the ship?

Yes, Walt Disney World. The buffet is included on their ships in the fare paid.

With regard to how this affect drink packages, I noticed that on Allure in February, some drinks, such as margaritas @ Sabor, were priced at $13, but the drink packaged, at the time, advertised as covering drinks only up to $12, were covered (I noticed this early on with Jerel, actually).

I suspect they'd be doing something similar, or as mentioned, there'd have been outrage we'd have heard about by now.

I'm currently debating the price of the drink package. even at $48 a person per day (20% off now) that's still seems pricy haha. I'm not sure i'll drink that much everyday. Might just put it in onboard credits and drink at my leisure.

If it makes you feel better, that 20% rate is still better than onboard.

If you are on the fence, give it a day or two onboard and make a decision. You don't have to buy a drink package in advance, and if you find yourself drinking less than you thought, stick with a la carte.

I'm currently debating the price of the drink package. even at $48 a person per day (20% off now) that's still seems pricy haha. I'm not sure i'll drink that much everyday. Might just put it in onboard credits and drink at my leisure.

If you're a wine drinker, remember you're allowed two bottles per cabin. So if you children are in their own cabin, you can bring on two additional bottles.

If you're a wine drinker, remember you're allowed two bottles per cabin. So if you children are in their own cabin, you can bring on two additional bottles.

My wife drinks mixed drinks (and wine) and a lot of coffee so I know I'll get her the plan. Me? I don't drink coffee and mostly drink beer. 

The package still covers a vast majority of drinks. The 5 or so drinks listed on the pub menu I would never order anyway.

Yes the packages still cover most everything but i think the concern here is more the direction that folks see things going.  Its like RCL is trying to push the limits little by little to see where things break.  Its a good method to optimize their business model, it just puts a bit of negativity into peoples minds that could be affected by this after they thought they bought an unlimited drink package.  

Yes the packages still cover most everything but i think the concern here is more the direction that folks see things going.  Its like RCL is trying to push the limits little by little to see where things break.  Its a good method to optimize their business model, it just puts a bit of negativity into peoples minds that could be affected by this after they thought they bought an unlimited drink package.  

I agree it's a step in the wrong direction. My take on it is someone figured out that most people order drinks strictly off the menu.  So if they point to something on the menu and it costs extra, RC makes a few extra bucks.  Of course, you and I know to ask for that drink without the top shelf liquor and can get it within the drink package, but I doubt most people know that.

If that's the case, they need to up the cost of the drink package.

Or they need to bring back 2 different levels of drink packages.....

Seems ass backwards for RCI to get rid of 3 different levels of drinks packages all into one, but then charge more for some drinks on top of the package.....

I'm starting to think that Royal is wondering down that path to meet up with her sister Celebrity with three packages that cover alcohol.

From reading the Standard package covers drinks to $6, Classic package covers drinks to $9, while the Premium is $13 (plus the sheet lists a slew of brand differences, Standard just says select and doesn't list anything). Per day cost difference is starting at $10 between each level.

Well as much as I hate paying more, I would be ok if they offered a top level package that covered everything and give us a choice.

But they got rid of package options and now have a bunch of drinks that we have to pay an extra couple dollars for...on top of the $350 or so you pay for drinks for a week...on top of the cruise.