Power strip

Having only two plugs available will not be that helpful when bringing phone chargers, laptops, ect. . .  Can I use a power strip with a 3-foot cord attached onto the Freedom of the Seas? If not, then what kind of power strip/extension cords are allowed?

2 hours ago, Safemike1 said:

Having only two plugs available will not be that helpful when bringing phone chargers, laptops, ect. . .  Can I use a power strip with a 3-foot cord attached onto the Freedom of the Seas? If not, then what kind of power strip/extension cords are allowed?

I bought this 220 to 120 converter.  Provides usb & an additional plug.  Amazon.com: Europe Travel Adapter Plug Set Schuko, Ceptics - with 2 USB + USA Socket Input - Type E/F and Type C - Ultra Compact - Safe Grounded Perfect for Cell Phones, Laptops, Camera Chargers (CTU-9-9C-PK) : Everything Else

I always take one of these "Cruise Power Strip No Surge Protector with USB Outlets - Ship Approved (Non Surge Protection)" (purchased on Amazon for less than $20.00) and have never had a problem.  The key is no surge protection allowed onboard.

https://www.amazon.com/Cruise-Power-Strip-USB-Outlets/dp/B07BHVKPC3/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3HV6EKUC0PLY7&keywords=cruise+ship+power+strip+no+surge+protection&qid=1647203475&sprefix=cruise+ship+power%2Caps%2C89&sr=8-3

CruisePlug.jpg

22 hours ago, Safemike1 said:

At the recommendation of this forum a few years ago, I bought one of these USB hubs and it works like charm! There may be newer models, but this is the one I have and still use on every cruise. This way, you're only using ONE outlet in your stateroom.

I keep this in my carry-on with my iPad, GoPro, etc. Enough ports to charge both of our iPhones, iPads, my GoPro, bluetooth speaker, etc., simultaneously if needed. Never a problem with Royal as it's just the USB hub and a detachable power cord!

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Charger-PowerPort-iPhone-Galaxy/dp/B00P936188/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3IHNF6D1JK6KV&keywords=USB%2BWall%2BCharger%2C%2BAnker%2B60W%2B6%2BPort%2BUSB%2BCharging%2BStation&qid=1647205052&sprefix=usb%2Bwall%2Bcharger%2C%2Banker%2B60w%2B6%2Bport%2Busb%2Bcharging%2Bstation%2Caps%2C227&sr=8-3&th=1

51A3Cw2FD5L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

https://improveworkspace.com/why-surge-protectors-banned-cruise-ships/

Lets you understand the issues.  Knowing what I do I know that in general it shouldn't really matter for extension cords and such but I can see where a transient voltage spike could cause a surge protector to overload and that will potentially cause a fire.  A lot of the cheapest surge protectors are just a Metal Oxide Varistor and they are damaged every time a surge is dealt with.  Over time this can cause them to physically explode when a high enough surge is found... Explode as in burst into flames similar to how a capacitor can burst.  

Fire and ships together are BAD NEWS... Just the smoke from a single room caught on fire could kill people because burning polymers and such give off noxious compounds.  Simply put, get a charger that can deal with multiple devices.  I use one this one Quick Charge 3.0 Wall Charger, 60W 6-Port USB Fast Charger and it works GREAT.  Had it since July 2019 and use it everywhere I go including 4 cruises, traveling to Jamaica, as well as traveling around the US, and at home.

If you have so many devices that you HAVE to have more outlets in the room then the only option is something like the no cord outlet expander linked above.  Anything with a cord that splits outlets will be confiscated if it's seen.  Sneaking it past in your carry on is a bad idea as well because if there is a fire you will be charged for ALL damages.  Maybe you will get lucky every single time but it only takes one time to cost you everything you have, it's not worth it.  I don't want to be that person and I quit working at a place because the kids there were likely going to kill someone and I wanted nothing to do with it.

20 hours ago, PG Cruiser said:

I took this picture of the confiscated items at disembarkation from the Wonder. It should give you some idea of what not to bring.

IMG_2979.thumb.JPG.1ed5d1a5565a414513f0581ec49c4b0e.JPG

I think I see mine!!! Only had to experience that once!!!! They used to let you bring a strip but not anymore. As was said already, anything without a surge protector. 

1 hour ago, JohnK6404 said:

At the recommendation of this forum a few years ago, I bought one of these USB hubs and it works like charm! There may be newer models, but this is the one I have and still use on every cruise. This way, you're only using ONE outlet in your stateroom.

I keep this in my carry-on with my iPad, GoPro, etc. Enough ports to charge both of our iPhones, iPads, my GoPro, bluetooth speaker, etc., simultaneously if needed. Never a problem with Royal as it's just the USB hub and a detachable power cord!

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Charger-PowerPort-iPhone-Galaxy/dp/B00P936188/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3IHNF6D1JK6KV&keywords=USB%2BWall%2BCharger%2C%2BAnker%2B60W%2B6%2BPort%2BUSB%2BCharging%2BStation&qid=1647205052&sprefix=usb%2Bwall%2Bcharger%2C%2Banker%2B60w%2B6%2Bport%2Busb%2Bcharging%2Bstation%2Caps%2C227&sr=8-3&th=1

51A3Cw2FD5L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I take mine on cruises all the time and if you need USB-C ports, there are adapters you can get on Amazon to convert some of the USB ports.

• 1 year later...

This and other RC threads I've read seem to suggest that power strips with surge protectors are prohibited, while plain extension cords ought to be okay. That might've been true in the past, but that's definitely not the case now. The link clearly states that "Electrical Extension Cords" are prohibited. https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/prohibited-items-onboard-policy

However, because many people take multi-outlet adapters/cubes with no issues, and a multi-outlet extension cord with no surge protector is functionally equivalent to that, I tried to take a plain 3-outlet 6-ft. extension cord on a cruise this past week on Explorer of the Seas through the Port of Miami. It was confiscated by security from my backpack (carry on). I got a receipt for it and got it back after the cruise.

However, I did have a direct US 3-to-1 adapter (no cord), and a travel adapter with USB ports similar to the ones many people post here, and those went through security fine in my suitcase (checked bag). I even asked the security agents about the rule, and whether they used to specifically disallow surge protectors while letting extension cords through. They weren't knowledgeable at all – no surprise there. They just said the cruise line tells them not to allow extension cords, so they don't allow 'em.

The rule against surge protectors I understand. It's been discussed before. But my opinion is that the cruise lines just say "no extension cords" now because the security people probably couldn't reliably understand the difference between a surge protector and a plain extension cord. So, instead of putting the onus on the security agents, they just ban anything that looks similar to a surge protector.

The extension cord rule is really dumb, though, IMO. Because I can bring multi-outlet adapters and plug in a dozen devices at once if I want to, and the smaller cube-style adapters can have surge protection built into them. But even though it's safer, I can't use a plain extension cord to plug in a device or two a few feet away from where the plugs are located? That's ridiculous. TBH, I think it also comes down to what the security people can effectively see on the x-ray machines, and they can see power strips and long extension cords.  But it's harder to see adapter cubes amongst all of the electronics people carry with them these days.

Got these from Amazon. They had a sale and I got the 2 pack for $12.  Small enough to toss in my laptop bag.  I doubt they will be flagged as they are pretty small. Plus I use a 1 to 4 pig tail adapter for the phones/tablets and you can get a 2 pack of these for about $10.  It plugs into the standard USB outlet and then has four connectors on the end. USB-C, Micro USB, (2) iPhone.  I can charge my Samsung Galaxy andriod phone, Mrs Fan's iPhone, and my wireless headphones all at once. 

image.png.03671a97d40b8c74c7d52b6ae8e73c60.png

image.png.93611c712c9c2937e1185ba09a564376.png

30 minutes ago, FSUFAN said:

Got these from Amazon. They had a sale and I got the 2 pack for $12.  Small enough to toss in my laptop bag.  I doubt they will be flagged as they are pretty small. Plus I use a 1 to 4 pig tail adapter for the phones/tablets.  It plugs into the standard USB outlet and then has four connectors on the end. USB-C, Micro USB, (2) iPhone.  I can charge my Galaxy phone, Mrs Fan's iPhone, and my wireless headphones all at once.

image.png.03671a97d40b8c74c7d52b6ae8e73c60.png

I have same and never got taken away from me yet.  It boggles my mind to see some of the items on that table!  

• 1 month later...
30 minutes ago, Kathleen said:

We have a number of portable chargers we backpack with. We take those and charge those during the day when our devices are with us. At night, if necessary we use those to charge any additional devices electrical outlet free!

Any good recommendations that have worked well for you? Interested in ones powerful enough to charge an iPad Pro.

@SpicyCherry ANKER would be one of the more well known ones. We have a number of ones but you’d probably want to purchase a 20,000 mAh or higher that is probably more important than the actual brand. We have a few, anywhere from 10,000-20,000 mAh but you will get more charging ability from the 20,000 one. Since I often put it in a backpack I look for lighter weight also.

3 hours ago, Kathleen said:

@SpicyCherry ANKER would be one of the more well known ones. We have a number of ones but you’d probably want to purchase a 20,000 mAh or higher that is probably more important than the actual brand. We have a few, anywhere from 10,000-20,000 mAh but you will get more charging ability from the 20,000 one. Since I often put it in a backpack I look for lighter weight also.

3 hours ago, Kathleen said:

Thanks....actually I have a 26800mAh Power Bank but it doesn't charge my Pro. The Solar Charger I have is 38800mAh and does charge it but it is rather heavy for my backpack. Guess I'll have to go with that one....I'll just put it in my DH's backpack🤭🤭😉