Confused about refund policy

ShStam

This was going to be my partner and I's first time on a cruise and we were super excited. Unfortunately, we have had a significant personal event come up and we will not be able to go on our cruise now. We booked in early January and were set to sail in late May. We are now in a position where we want an actual refund, not a cruise credit. I have found conflicting information on which is applicable and I am not sure how to go about it. We have only paid for half of the cruise fare so far. 

If you didn't book with a refundable deposit you options for a full refund don't really exist for a significant personal event.  When booking with a non-refundable deposit you agree to the terms and conditions which as you probably already know involves future cruise credit.

The general advice is to purchase travel insurance to protect your vacation investment in the case of covered personal events.  If you didn't purchase insurance your options will be limited.

HI all,

I am in a similar situation where my family and I are booked on a cruise for April 17th 2022. My 12 year old son is not vaccinated. We booked a non refundable deposit way back in 2019 and after several cancellations on ROYALS side due to COVID, we are now booked for this cruise an cannot go on it due to my sons vaccination status. I have found this "Royal Promise" document online and the date only extends to  APRIL 14th 2020.  We are hoping that it gets extended so we can get a refund. Is this the "covid Policy" you are referring to WAAATOOO? or is there another one out there?

https://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/Deployment/2021_2022/RTS_FAQs.pdf

Thanks. We are very frustrated and are only looking for a refund so we can re-book in a year or 2.....

14 minutes ago, Huntr104 said:

HI all,

I am in a similar situation where my family and I are booked on a cruise for April 17th 2022. My 12 year old son is not vaccinated. We booked a non refundable deposit way back in 2019 and after several cancellations on ROYALS side due to COVID, we are now booked for this cruise an cannot go on it due to my sons vaccination status. I have found this "Royal Promise" document online and the date only extends to  APRIL 14th 2020.  We are hoping that it gets extended so we can get a refund. Is this the "covid Policy" you are referring to WAAATOOO? or is there another one out there?

https://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/Deployment/2021_2022/RTS_FAQs.pdf

Thanks. We are very frustrated and are only looking for a refund so we can re-book in a year or 2.....

Currently, Royal is still permitting unvaxxed passengers to get a full refund.  I’m not familiar with the policy noted above but as far as I am aware, you can still get a full cash refund if you are unvaccinated or if you cannot comply with other COVID protocols.  I will be cancelling an April 8 sailing on Wonder soon, using this basis.  If you are vaccinated, you cannot sail (unfortunately).  Congratulations on holding the line for your son.  It’s a tough road to travel, but it’s the right thing to do.

Thank you for your response. You will not have a problem cancelling for APRIL 8th. Since our cruise is after the date that this policy is for- we are not eligible to cancel with refund. We have spent many hours with different customer service members, sent emails, FB messages, ect and we are not eligible based on the date of our cruise... We are at the mercy of the policy creators who list which date it extends to.  SO frustrating..  I just submitted this issue on the forum  as a separate topic called Refund rigmarole to see if anyone else has any insight or even are in the same boat (pun intended) as us.

Thanks again.

6 minutes ago, Huntr104 said:

Thank you for your response. You will not have a problem cancelling for APRIL 8th. Since our cruise is after the date that this policy is for- we are not eligible to cancel with refund. We have spent many hours with different customer service members, sent emails, FB messages, ect and we are not eligible based on the date of our cruise... We are at the mercy of the policy creators who list which date it extends to.  SO frustrating..  I just submitted this issue on the forum  as a separate topic called Refund rigmarole to see if anyone else has any insight or even are in the same boat (pun intended) as us.

Thanks again.

I really think you will be fine, too.  The current protocols have been released through 4-15.  So the protocols covering your cruise will be published shortly.  Once that happens, you will be able to get a cash refund.   The bad news is that you may have to pay the final balance first.  That’s typical and has been the way this system has worked since the restart.  However, once the protocols covering your cruise are published (and trust me, the vax requirement isn’t going away by then) then you will be able to get all of your money back.  I have received close to $25K back in cash refunds using the “COVID protocols” excuse since Nov of 2021.  I don’t really see them changing this policy right now.  2023 ?  Yeah, maybe.

I certainly can’t promise you anything, but I would strongly recommend that you do NOT cancel now and accept an FCC.  If you wait just a bit longer, pay the final balance if the deadline hits before they announce the protocols, and then cancel due an unvaccinated passenger, I’m confident that will be able to get a refund.  Good luck !

I agree with @WAAAYTOOO as this is how I've successfully gotten full refunds on all my cruises cancelled due to COVID protocols in place and being unvaccinated. One more left in June to cancel when the new protocols come out covering that cruise. If I have to make final payment then so be it. But I feel confident I'll be refunded. The only thing I'll add is that all the cruises I had booked were done pre-COVID before protocols if that makes any difference. 

22 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I really think you will be fine, too.  The current protocols have been released through 4-15.  So the protocols covering your cruise will be published shortly.  Once that happens, you will be able to get a cash refund.   The bad news is that you may have to pay the final balance first.  That’s typical and has been the way this system has worked since the restart.  However, once the protocols covering your cruise are published (and trust me, the vax requirement isn’t going away by then) then you will be able to get all of your money back.  I have received close to $25K back in cash refunds using the “COVID protocols” excuse since Nov of 2021.  I don’t really see them changing this policy right now.  2023 ?  Yeah, maybe.

I certainly can’t promise you anything, but I would strongly recommend that you do NOT cancel now and accept an FCC.  If you wait just a bit longer, pay the final balance if the deadline hits before they announce the protocols, and then cancel due an unvaccinated passenger, I’m confident that will be able to get a refund.  Good luck !

Thank you.   I think this may be the only option to get a refund.  I always booked Non Refundable trips myself by calling Royal.  After all this BS I'll only book Refundable trips through a Travel Agent in the future.

So, I can still get a cash refund after using a FCC?  and having a Non Refundable cruise?  

21 hours ago, fireclan said:

I agree with @WAAAYTOOO as this is how I've successfully gotten full refunds on all my cruises cancelled due to COVID protocols in place and being unvaccinated. One more left in June to cancel when the new protocols come out covering that cruise. If I have to make final payment then so be it. But I feel confident I'll be refunded. The only thing I'll add is that all the cruises I had booked were done pre-COVID before protocols if that makes any difference. 

The cruise I was trying to take was for April of 2021.  I booked that cruise back in November of 2019. 

5 minutes ago, Huntr104 said:

So, I can still get a cash refund after using a FCC?  and having a Non Refundable cruise?  

The FCCcash could be a bit more problematic than the cash you paid in.  Getting cash for an applied FCC is very hit-or-miss.  Some people (me included) have had good luck with converting FCC into cash and some have had no luck at all.  I guess this is where I insert the plug for a really good Travel Agent.  @michellewas able to convert 4 BIG FCC's to cash for me late last year and I felt very blessed to have gotten that.  I now have -0- FCC's floating around and I consider myself very lucky.

All I can say is give it your best shot and do not take "no" for an answer (at least, not at the beginning).  The non-refundable deposit thing should not be an issue.  You definitely should get that back...the FCC....it's a toss-up.  Just move forward knowing that it CAN be done and just pray that it WILL be done.

1.  DO NOT cancel your cruise prior to the COVID protocols being announced that cover your cruise date.

2.  If necessary, go ahead and pay the cruise balance in full IF that date comes around before the COVID protocols are announced (PS.  This has happened to me EVERY single time so it is probably going to be the case)

3.  Once the COVID protocols are announced that cover your sail dates, call Royal and cancel your cruise citing the fact that you have an unvaccinated passenger and INSIST on getting cash back for the entire balance.

GOOD LUCK !  

29 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

The FCCcash could be a bit more problematic than the cash you paid in.  Getting cash for an applied FCC is very hit-or-miss.  Some people (me included) have had good luck with converting FCC into cash and some have had no luck at all.  I guess this is where I insert the plug for a really good Travel Agent.  @michellewas able to convert 4 BIG FCC's to cash for me late last year and I felt very blessed to have gotten that.  I now have -0- FCC's floating around and I consider myself very lucky.

All I can say is give it your best shot and do not take "no" for an answer (at least, not at the beginning).  The non-refundable deposit thing should not be an issue.  You definitely should get that back...the FCC....it's a toss-up.  Just move forward knowing that it CAN be done and just pray that it WILL be done.

1.  DO NOT cancel your cruise prior to the COVID protocols being announced that cover your cruise date.

2.  If necessary, go ahead and pay the cruise balance in full IF that date comes around before the COVID protocols are announced (PS.  This has happened to me EVERY single time so it is probably going to be the case)

3.  Once the COVID protocols are announced that cover your sail dates, call Royal and cancel your cruise citing the fact that you have an unvaccinated passenger and INSIST on getting cash back for the entire balance.

GOOD LUCK !  

Thanks so much for taking the time to give me advice.  I really appreciate it!  

Today I (and everyone else, I'm sure) got a new notice of COVID protocols through 5-31-22 and as expected, the vax requirement is still in full force.

SO... @Huntr104, it would appear that it is now within your prerogative to request a full cash refund of your cruise based on vaccine requirements.

BEST OF LUCK !

image.png.da04ef2313235feabb789ba543d20a97.png

1 hour ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Today I (and everyone else, I'm sure) got a new notice of COVID protocols through 5-31-22 and as expected, the vax requirement is still in full force.

SO... @Huntr104, it would appear that it is now within your prerogative to request a full cash refund of your cruise based on vaccine requirements.

BEST OF LUCK !

Were there any changes to the existing protocols at all or is this just an extension?

Here is the complete verbiage on the protocols through 5-31-22

Dear valued Travel Partners,

Below you can find our current health & safety protocols for sailings from Puerto Rico, Barbados and U.S. homeports departing through May 31, 2022.

These protocols include government mandates, the changes based on our voluntary participation in the US CDC Cruise Program, plus the updated shore excursion requirements for unvaccinated children and their families on sailings departing on or after March 18, 2022.

Due to the fluidity of this situation, our protocols are subject to change and we are committed to keeping you and your clients informed throughout. While currently not required to sail, the US CDC has recommended COVID-19 vaccine booster doses for those eligible, prior to cruise travel. Whenever possible we will provide prior notice for any changes. Just the same, we'll let you know if any requirements are reduced or eliminated.

Please save the Healthy Cruising Hub link for additional details, FAQs, and future reference.

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcreative.rccl.com
Pre-Cruise Requirements

Vaccination 
All guests 12 years and older must be fully vaccinated at least 14 days before sailing. Guests under the age of 12 years, who are considered fully vaccinated, should follow the guidance for vaccinated guests below. Children with one dose of a vaccine do not count as fully vaccinated for the purpose of our sailing

Testing for sailings from U.S. Homeports (excluding Puerto Rico)
  • Pre-Cruise: All guests 2 years and older must present a negative COVID-19 test result.
    • Vaccinated guests ages 12 years and over: PCR or antigen test must be taken no more than 2 days prior to sailing.
    • Unvaccinated children ages 2 to 11 years: PCR test must be taken no more than 3 days prior to sailing — but not on boarding day. Antigen tests are not accepted for unvaccinated guests.
    • No testing required for guests under age 2.
    • Pre-cruise testing costs and scheduling are the guest's responsibility.  
  • Certificate of Recovery: Instead of a negative pre-cruise test, a Certificate of Recovery and a positive PCR test taken between 11-90 days prior to our sail date can be provided to sail with us. Please note: we will not accept a Certificate of Recovery in the place of a vaccination record. Additionally, some ports of call do not accept Certificates of Recovery for the purposes of debarking and enjoying the destination.  
  • Embarkation Day: Unvaccinated guests ages 2 to 11 years will take a complimentary test for COVID-19 during check-in. Registration details will be sent via email in advance.
  • Onboard: For sailings that are 5 nights or longer, unvaccinated guests ages 2 to 11 years will take a complimentary antigen test prior to debark. Sailings longer than 10 nights may have additional onboard testing requirements. Registration details will be provided onboard.
Testing for sailings from San Juan, Puerto Rico
  • Entry to Puerto Rico:
    • Vaccinated guests do not need to provide a negative test result to enter Puerto Rico (a negative result is still required to board the ship). Guests must upload their proof of vaccination status to their TravelSafe Declaration Form.
    • All guests unvaccinated guests 2 years and older will need a PCR or antigen test for entry.
    • Guests arriving from non-US countries (regardless of vaccination status) will need to provide a negative result from a PCR or antigen test taken within 24 hours prior to boarding a flight to Puerto Rico.
  • Pre-Cruise: All guests 2 years and older — regardless of vaccination status — must present a negative COVID-19 test result in order to sail. Your client's entry test can meet this requirement as long as it falls into the appropriate timeframe. 
    • Unvaccinated children ages 2 to 11: will need to show proof of a negative test result from a PCR test taken no more than 3 days prior to our sail date — but not on boarding day. Antigen tests are not accepted for unvaccinated guests.
    • Vaccinated guests 12 years and older: will need to show proof of a negative result from a PCR or antigen test taken no more than 2 days prior to our sail date. If for any reason guests can’t arrange this test prior to sailing, we have port testing available for scheduling here.
  • Pre-cruise testing costs and scheduling are the guest's responsibility.
  • Embarkation Day: In addition to the pre-cruise test requirement, unvaccinated guests 2 to 11 years old will be required to take a complimentary embarkation day antigen test. Registration details will be sent via email in advance.
  • Certificate of Recovery: Instead of a negative pre-cruise test, a Certificate of Recovery and a positive PCR test taken between 11-90 days prior to our sail date can be provided to sail with us.Please note: we will not accept a Certificate of Recovery in the place of a vaccination record. Additionally, some ports of call do not accept Certificates of Recovery for the purposes of debarking and enjoying the destination.  
  • Prior to disembarking: Unvaccinated guests 2 to 11 years old will take an antigen test prior to debarking in San Juan. Please note, test results will also be shared with Royal Caribbean International. This will let us help  plan the next steps of the cruise and keep your clients informed. We may also share your results with third parties, such as public authorities and health care providers.
Vaccinations & Testing Requirements for sailings from Bridgetown, Barbados 
  • Due to the requirements of destinations on our Barbados itineraries, we can only accept vaccines that are authorized by the World Health Organization (WHO).
  • Guests under the age of 12 years, who are considered fully vaccinated, should follow the guidance for vaccinated guests below. Children with one dose of a vaccine do not count as fully vaccinated for the purpose of our sailing. The only mixed MRNA vaccines accepted are combinations of Pfizer and Moderna.
  • Entry to Barbados: Guests must follow Barbados’ COVID-19 Travel Guidelines. All guests 5 years and older — regardless of vaccination status — must present a negative RT-PCR test result taken no more than 3 days prior to arriving in Barbados or a negative rapid antigen or rapid PCR test result day prior to arriving in Barbados.
  • Pre-cruise: All unvaccinated guests 2 - 11 years old must present a negative PCR test result no more than 3 days prior to sailing.
  • Certificate of Recovery: Instead of a negative pre-cruise test, a Certificate of Recovery and a positive PCR test taken between 11-90 days prior to our sail date can be provided to sail with us.Please note: we will not accept a Certificate of Recovery in the place of a vaccination record. Additionally, some ports of call do not accept Certificates of Recovery for the purposes of debarking and enjoying the destination.  
  • Embarkation Day: All guests 2 years and older — regardless of vaccination status — are required to take a complimentary embarkation day antigen test and receive a negative test result. Registration details will be sent via email in advance for the antigen test at the terminal.
  • Prior to disembarking: Guests 2 years and older will be provided with a complimentary antigen test to re-enter Barbados.
  • For re-entry into a guest’s home country, proof of a negative COVID-19 test may be required. More details will be provided once onboard.

Healthy Shore Excursions
For departures on or after March 18, 2022: all guests, regardless of vaccination status, may visit most ports freely or book a shore excursion. A few ports still require an excursion to go ashore, regardless of vaccination status. All guests going ashore must still follow local health and safety guidance when visiting each port of call. Unvaccinated children should expect to wear their masks while ashore, avoid crowded areas, and maintain physical distance whenever possible. Local tours booked through Royal Caribbean follow our health guidance and are available at a variety of prices. 

Mask Guidance 
Masks are optional for fully vaccinated guests. We expect unvaccinated children to continue wearing masks indoors and in crowded settings. Masks are required for all children age 2 and older while at the Adventure Ocean youth program. Guests under 2 do not have to wear a mask at any time.

Dining
Visit Cruise Planner to make reservations before the cruise or the Royal Caribbean app while onboard. 

Previous venue restrictions based on vaccination status have been lifted. Your clients can feel free to enjoy our theater, spa and gym!
What To Bring

Travel Documentation Checklist
  • Passport Book or Passport Card, valid for at least six months after the cruise, is recommended. If your client does not have a Passport, they can  bring a state-certified U.S. Birth Certificate + a valid Driver's License or picture ID issued by the government for age 16 and older. If the name doesn't match, bridging documents are required, like a Marriage Certificate. 
  • A COVID-19 vaccination record card for all guests 12 years and older, such as the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC) COVID-19 vaccination record card.
  • A negative test result for COVID-19 printed or shown on the phone (not a doctor’s note).
  • For Travel to Puerto Rico: 
    • All travelers age 2 years and up must complete the TravelSafe Declaration Form to enter Puerto Rico. Vaccinated travelers (age 12 years and up) will need to upload their proof of vaccination. Residents of Puerto Rico and guests extending their stay post-cruise are also required to complete this form prior to debarking the ship. Learn more
  • For Travel to Barbados: 
    • Barbados Immigration/Customs Form: All travelers to Barbados, or their legal guardians, must complete the Immigration/Customs form to enter Barbados. This is available on the BIMSafe app, or at travelform.gov.bb, and should be completed 24-72 hours before leaving. 
For additional protocol information, please click the link below to read the detailed FAQs.

Please note that health protocols are expected to change over time. Guidance for other ports and sailings is still in development with federal, state, and local authorities. We will update you and your clients as protocols change. 

I called yesterday to request FCC refunds for the final 5 rooms from my group reservation of 13 rooms (31 people).   7 of us (5 rooms) decided to still cruise and moved our sail date up by 2 weeks.  One room cancelled (they had booked after the rest of us who had original cruise date of April 2020...moved to 2021...then to 2022) and they got back their $200. deposit.  2 rooms (both of my daughters and their families) I knew could not cruise and late February I sent an email to Michael Bayley requesting to have all their FCCs fully refunded...and he granted it.  I am still waiting for some of the FCC monies to come back, so far only about half already has.

So I still had 5 rooms (11 people) who were in limbo...they are the ones I called for yesterday and all were approved to receive full refunds.  I had the service rep check on mine resolution and she said it is in the expedited phase to be released soon.  The rep told me to let everyone know it will be somewhere between 15-30 days to complete the process.

After almost a 3 year begin to end story...with lots of uncertainty and sleepless nights...everyone is satisfied with this final outcome.  Me??  Well, I am still missing out on my 2019 retirement gift to me ( husband approved 😉 )...which was to have our children and grandchildren all together for a cruise.  Hoping to find another family adventure in another year or so for everyone to be able to vacation together!  For this upcoming cruise hubby and I get to vacation with our son and son-in-law...as well as 3 other family members 🙂 .

Anyway...it was a very simple process yesterday so I hope everyone in the same dilemma finds it just as easy!  Actually had I known this was how it was all going to play out I would have not even bothered Mr. Bayley with this...but who knew???  And thankfully he was very gracious (as was his executive Mike Bermudez).

On 3/17/2022 at 1:47 PM, WAAAYTOOO said:

BEST OF LUCK !

So I called on the 16th and spent an hour and a half on the phone.  The RCI agent understood that it didn't make any sense for me to pay them final payment on the 18th only for them to extend the vax requirements and refund my money 3 days later.  They made an exception and issued me a full refund. (We all knew they would be extending it)  I should receive my refund in 30-45 days.  Thanks for the help!

26 minutes ago, Huntr104 said:

So I called on the 16th and spent an hour and a half on the phone.  The RCI agent understood that it didn't make any sense for me to pay them final payment on the 18th only for them to extend the vax requirements and refund my money 3 days later.  They made an exception and issued me a full refund. (We all knew they would be extending it)  I should receive my refund in 30-45 days.  Thanks for the help!

I am SO happy to hear this news. Congratulations.  We’ll done.