Thank the good Lord!

Pooch

1 hour ago, Pooch said:

Well glitch number one the storm on the east coast.  Our 12:25 flight is now 4pm😡🤬.  

I'm happy to see that you are flying out the day before Harmony leaves, I work in the airline industry so please trust me and have a back up plan.

I don't know what state or city you are flying out of today but if there are multiple flights on whichever airline you are flying on look and see if there are other delayed flights to Orlando if so you can try to do same day standby most airlines nowadays no longer charge for same day standby as long as your departure and destination remains the same. Or if things get worst not better (fingers crossed that doesn't happen) you might have to drive.  

During storms like the one hammering the East Coast right now there are a lot of things working against you.  First you need an airplane, secondly you need pilots and flight attendants there are other things but those are the major factors.  And it may sound simple enough but sometimes you can have an airplane and the pilots have timed out other times you have pilots and no aircraft (it was diverted).  The worst is when you have an aircraft and pilots but the pilots time out before the wheel leave the pavement.  The FAA has (and most pilot contract have) nonnegotiable crew duty limits and once the pilots time out they are done for the day the airline have to find other pilots with enough time remaining in their duty day to fly the trip.  If your pilots started their day on the West Coast then flew to the East Coast that is around a 5.5 - 6 hour flight, on a normal day they could still fly from the Northeast to Florida and be within duty time throw a storm into the mix and a 2 hour delay(for example) now those pilots are illegal to continue and fly from the Northeast to Florida. The same goes for flight attendants they also have crew duty limits it varies widely by airline and it is not as stringent as pilots, but the flight attendants can also run out of duty time.  If this becomes what the industry calls a rolling delay where 4pm becomes 5pm, becomes 6pm, becomes 8pm you may want to start thinking about activating your alternate plan.  As you get later and later into the evening and night time period that is when airlines begin making hard decisions on which flights to cancel and which flights they have to operate and they start with the flight they have to operate and find aircraft, flight crews and flight attendants for those flights first and proceed from there. And a lot of those decisions are based on where do the airlines need both their crews and their aircraft to try and recover the operation on the next day or have as little impact on the next days operation as possible.  Airlines know the cruise lines schedules they know when the huge turn around days are and where they are so hopefully your flight is good because they will need that aircraft and crew in Orlando tomorrow to fly out customers out of Orlando tomorrow.  But I would still have a backup plan if I were you simply because the storm impacting the Northeast is so massive with high wind warning moderate to severe turbulence reports extending all the way down to Norfolk VA.  Moderate turbulence you can fly through severe turbulence should be avoided at all times because of the damage it can cause some conditions you simply fly through.  At a certain point at night airlines will simply call (cancel) the operation from a certain city or even a hub and just let Mother Nature win and try again the next day when the weather is better but that is a last resort because calling the operation especially from hub means no there is no way to recover the next days operation.

@JasonOasis thanks for all the details on how it happens.  I only know I get more and more anxious about flying as time goes by - so many things can mess up best laid plans!

@Pooch, praying that all of you get to Harmony safely and timely!  Seriously, with everything going on, maybe your brother could consider driving.  If not all the way to FL, then maybe to NC? Raleigh has a ton of SW flights direct to MCO, and by the time he got here, he'd be south of the storm.  

15 hours ago, Pooch said:

6 tests over 3 states & 4 households all negative!! Harmony here we come😁

Yay!! We all tested negative last night. So relieved!!! ♥️

Just read about your delay.. I will thinking about you today and sending positive vibes to your airplane!! Hopefully your brother gets things sorted as well. Sorry your anxiety is not over yet. 

2 hours ago, Pooch said:

Well we are now departing at 2:30 but my brothers flight has been cancelled.  He is on the phone with Southwest right now.  Do what happens with the cruise if he is unable to get down there by tomorrow?  FCCs?

We missed embarkation last month due to an ice storm in Dallas. 

We didn’t receive any compensation from Royal; I had to file a claim with my travel insurance. 

2 hours ago, Pooch said:

So what happens to their cruise planner purchase (drink package)?  They’ll be no shows yes?  Does the package get refunded?

All cruise planner purchases will be automatically refunded to the original payment CC when they no show at the pier.  (As well as taxes and port fees) 

10 hours ago, Pooch said:

Thought they were gonna make it.  My nephew managed to grab 2 seats on a late flight out of Manchester New Hampshire.  Jumped in the car & drove 2 1/2 hours only to have that flight cancelled too.  I feel like crap.  Afraid this cruise is not gonna be much fun. 😢

I hope you are at least able to use the cruise to rest and unwind. It has been a stressful build up! I’m so sorry it won’t be the family time you were planning though 😥

Sorry all, yes my husband, kids & I are here but Tom & Greg did not make it and I feel terrible about it.  
Afraid I spent the afternoon in the room sleeping off Dramamine.  The rocking & rolling was just too much for me.  Who says big ships don’t move?!?!  Better now and out and about again.  Planning on the suite deck tomorrow.  Twangster, thought I may have seen you Sunday.  I passed a man with a camera & very large lens on the pool deck.  
I am still planning Sabor for tomorrow around 4 if you’d like to join me for a drink!

23 minutes ago, Pooch said:

Sorry all, yes my husband, kids & I are here but Tom & Greg did not make it and I feel terrible about it.  
Afraid I spent the afternoon in the room sleeping off Dramamine.  The rocking & rolling was just too much for me.  Who says big ships don’t move?!?!  Better now and out and about again.  Planning on the suite deck tomorrow.  Twangster, thought I may have seen you Sunday.  I passed a man with a camera & very large lens on the pool deck.  
I am still planning Sabor for tomorrow around 4 if you’d like to join me for a drink!

I don’t think I’ve taken my big camera on deck yet.  My 360 camera is tiny and most people don’t even notice it.  

66E013BE-5769-4386-AC40-6F4E9240F10E.thumb.jpeg.9c102c6811af8156c88c713793f2fa8c.jpeg

On 3/12/2022 at 11:39 PM, Pooch said:

Thought they were gonna make it.  My nephew managed to grab 2 seats on a late flight out of Manchester New Hampshire.  Jumped in the car & drove 2 1/2 hours only to have that flight cancelled too.  I feel like crap.  Afraid this cruise is not gonna be much fun. 😢

I’m so sorry they didn’t make it to cruise. It’s so disappointing after all of the planning. I hope the seas calm down and you have beautiful weather the rest of your cruise.

It will be a long time before I’m willing to fly again.