Will be on Quantum of the sea for an Alaska cruise this May’22’ will crab, salmon and lobster served in main dining rooms?

I've never had crab legs on any Alaskan sailing to date. Lobster (caribbean) tails are served on the 2nd formal night in the MDR.  They may have salmon, but I wouldn't expect it to be fabulous, Alaskan, wild-caught on the ship.

If you want really good salmon and crab, grab some in one of the ports.

• 1 year later...
On 3/11/2022 at 11:47 AM, Cindy Hardin said:

Trying to decide if I should book an excursion to include eating crab in Alaska or will it be served on the boat in the main dining room. 

@Cindy Hardin I think we may be booked for the same cruise my BIG question like you will I be able to get some crab legs … hello Alaskan King Crab legs don’t come from Florida.  So wild you asking the same thing I am wondering and we’re booked for same cruise!!  -Julie

My two cents? Yes, you can get king crab legs while in port (there's going to be a line halfway up the dock to get into Tracey's in Juneau) but it's not "fresh" as everything is off-season. It's essentially the same flash-frozen as you can get at CostCo, only a whole lot more expensive.

It will be good quality (bigger and not freezer-burned like you'd get at a general grocery store) but the prices are sky-high. Again, CostCo...

Salmon in port may be worth it (though May isn't really in-season either) but rather than one of the big sit-down restaurants check out the food trucks.  There are a few near port (one serves fish tacos, another serves Pilipino or Malaysian seafood I don't remember which but my GOLLY it was good) and they are serving the fresh stuff, since they buy whatever is pulled off the boats that morning and serve it up. Samon, halibut, char, whatever. 

FYI salmon in the MDR is actually pretty good, and they will serve it on the rare side if you ask.

1 hour ago, Riley said:

Salmon in port may be worth it (though May isn't really in-season either) but rather than one of the big sit-down restaurants check out the food trucks.  There are a few near port (one serves fish tacos, another serves Pilipino or Malaysian seafood I don't remember which but my GOLLY it was good) and they are serving the fresh stuff, since they buy whatever is pulled off the boats that morning and serve it up. Samon, halibut, char, whatever. 

Which port for the Food Truck?

FYI salmon in the MDR is actually pretty good, and they will serve it on the rare side if you ask. More then likely it will be Atlantic Salmon

Juneau. I've yet to see any in Skagway, and Ketchikan's dockside food shack is mostly fried fish - not that there's anything wrong with that - though if you walk to the right along the water there is a kiosk selling fresh Kettle Corn that is ridiculously good. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/11/2023 at 7:13 AM, Riley said:

My two cents? Yes, you can get king crab legs while in port (there's going to be a line halfway up the dock to get into Tracey's in Juneau) but it's not "fresh" as everything is off-season. It's essentially the same flash-frozen as you can get at CostCo, only a whole lot more expensive.

It will be good quality (bigger and not freezer-burned like you'd get at a general grocery store) but the prices are sky-high. Again, CostCo...

Ugh!  Thanks for the update on this.  I wonder if it will be worth it and cheaper to get some Alaskan King Crab legs prior to my cruise in Vancouver?  And I always see them at my local Costco here in Los Angeles.