Is a "rapid NAAT test" permitted test type?

Eniale

On 5/26/2022 at 1:23 PM, Elt1976 said:

I called Royal Caribbean and the person I spoke with said PCR only. I work in healthcare and know NAAT is a PCR. Thank you for responding.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/if-need-an-rt-pcr-test-before-i-cruise-where-should-i-go

Accepted Types of Tests and Results

• There are two common types of diagnostic COVID-19 tests 
    • A molecular test, also called a PCR test or NAAT test – our testing requirements call this a “PCR test”

2 hours ago, Heymarco said:

Yes, can confirm we used it for an unvaccinated child and it wasn’t an issue as all. Can’t recall if it said PCR or NAAT.

No need to sweat it though, by this time all the pier workers are very familiar with all the test types.

Thanks Marco! We called up Royal Caribbean and for unvaccinated children, they said it "has to be a PCR test that takes a couple of days to get the results". Since there are different types of NAAT tests, I've asked them directly in writing several times if the "Rapid NAAT Test" is considered a PCR test and meets the requirement for unvaccinated children and they will never confirm

I totally understand how you everyone can make the interpretation having the rapid NAAT test accepted for unvaccinated children, but in the end, it's not how myself/other cruisers interpret, but how RC interprets it. Quite a long way to go, just to be turned away at the port because of some technicality.  Your 1st hand experience is definitely key and makes me more confident. Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

Just got off the boat. Must say that I’m disappointed because with all the stress of wondering if they would accept the “rapid” NAAT test from Walgreens from our unvaccinated children, they didn’t even check. I asked at several different points in the boarding process and non of them wanted to see theirs, or my wife and my rapid antigen test. 

1 hour ago, Chaser said:

Just got off the boat. Must say that I’m disappointed because with all the stress of wondering if they would accept the “rapid” NAAT test from Walgreens from our unvaccinated children, they didn’t even check. I asked at several different points in the boarding process and non of them wanted to see theirs, or my wife and my rapid antigen test. 

Yep, as I stated about my May 13th, Ovation, Alaska, no one asked any in our party for our Proof of Jab, Negative Testing, or ArriveCan.  No one.  

1 hour ago, Chaser said:

Not sure why you were stressed, the NAAT test is a rapid PCR test and has already been accepted by many. RC's site even calls it a PCR test.

FWIW, we had to show our tests twice before boarding Harmony on 5/29 and I have read of very few people not having to show their documents.

In any case, I hope you had a good time and aren't focusing on the pre-cruise stuff that disappointed you.

• 2 weeks later...