Is a "rapid NAAT test" permitted test type?

Eniale

We are leaving on the Independence of the Seas March 21, 2022, and I am looking into our testing arrangements. Florida is ... a struggle as far as this is concerned, and complicating matters is that we leave on a Monday, so we have to take the tests no earlier than Saturday.

It appears I can get no-cost testing at Walgreens, but the testing is listed as this:

RAPID NAAT TEST
Results within 2 hours
Meets most pre-travel requirements

The RC site only lists PCR and rapid antigen testing - not rapid NAAT. Will this still be valid? I would go for the PCR, but it says results within 48 hours, and that's putting us perilously close.

17 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Hm, oddly that page will briefly load, then suddenly kick to "OOPS! That page in unavailable." I had the same issue trying to view "updated safety protocols" from my email earlier. Perhaps they are updating?

1 hour ago, Qeyton Dude said:

We use Walgreens, never a problem for us.  Note we bring a print out, We have not tried using the on-line results

I used the email results on my phone to board in December, the paper was a touch faster but the electronic worked just fine. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2022 at 1:44 PM, Qeyton Dude said:

We use Walgreens, never a problem for us.  Note we bring a print out, We have not tried using the on-line results

Funny, we ended up not even having the email/online option - my husband was tested Saturday (he worked Sunday) and by Sunday morning still didn't have his results. We called and they informed us the system had been down and we had to go in person and get a paper printout (thanks for calling and telling us... not.) Good thing he got his Saturday, because I took mine Sunday (the day before embarkation) and we would have been cutting it close had we found out Monday morning we couldn't get them online.

On 3/11/2022 at 10:00 AM, smokeybandit said:

Yes, exactly:  

Accepted Types of Tests and Results

• There are two common types of diagnostic COVID-19 tests 
    • A molecular test, also called a PCR test or NAAT test – our testing requirements call this a “PCR test”

8 minutes ago, jay1021 said:

Yes, exactly:  

• A molecular test, also called a PCR test or NAAT test – our testing requirements call this a “PCR test”

Are all NAAT tests "rapid"?

37 minutes ago, Toby said:

Are all NAAT tests "rapid"?

No. Most NAAT tests are not rapid; the most common NAAT test is a PCR test, which usually takes 2-3 days. The most common rapid test is an antigen test. 

If they'll take a rapid antigen test, there is absolutely no reason they wouldn't take a rapid NAAT test.

15 minutes ago, silenttuba said:

No. Most NAAT tests are not rapid; the most common NAAT test is a PCR test, which usually takes 2-3 days. The most common rapid test is an antigen test. 

If they'll take a rapid antigen test, there is absolutely no reason they wouldn't take a rapid NAAT test.

In retrospect this forum is not the best place to ask that question.

@Eniale Did you ever get an answer to the question you asked?  I see many off topic comments, but no confirmed answer.  Like you, I do see that Walgreens offers 3 tests and would like to know if Royal accepts the "Rapid NAAT Test" since it is not listed on Royal's FAQ page.  From Walgreens.com...image.png.0cd43864c3ebdddfeb870758f2cb7e4c.png

On 3/25/2022 at 11:27 AM, jay1021 said:

Yes, exactly:  

I'm not sure where the confusion is here:  First, Royal Caribbean says that you must get the test done no later than/more than 2 days prior to cruise (my words, not their exact words) (which is if you cruise on a Friday, you can get tested on Wednesday) and the link I posted states what it states, the listed type tests are acceptable.  So, what is the confusion, the NAAT is acceptable and it must be rapid because a non-rapid NAAT test would have to be taken outside of the 2 day requirement, even if you do a non-rapid NAAT test, would you want to wait till the last minute, or beyond or may or may not come on time, before embarkation on an email that states that you are positive, possibly?   No, I don't think Royal Caribbean is eluding to a non-rapid NAAT test.  BTW, they don't say "rapid Molecular test" or "rapid PCR test".  They just lump them together as "PCR tests".  

On 3/26/2022 at 4:10 PM, jay1021 said:

I'm not sure where the confusion is here:  First, Royal Caribbean says that you must get the test done no later than/more than 2 days prior to cruise (my words, not their exact words) (which is if you cruise on a Friday, you can get tested on Wednesday) and the link I posted states what it states, the listed type tests are acceptable.  So, what is the confusion, the NAAT is acceptable and it must be rapid because a none-rapid NAAT test would have to be taken outside of the 2 day requirement, even if you do a none-rapid NAAT test, would you want to wait till the last minute, or beyond or may or may not come on time, before embarkation on an email that states that you are positive, possibly?   No, I don't think Royal Caribbean is eluding to a none-rapid NAAT test.  BTW, they don't say "rapid Molecular test" or "rapid PCR test".  They just lump them together as "PCR tests".  

NAAT tests come in two types, the 48 Hour version and the rapid version.  Your RCCL link only confirms the 48 Hour "PCR" version - as RCCL calls it.  Do you know of someone who has taken the Walgreens "Rapid NAAT Test" and had it accepted to board a RCCL ship?  Thanks in advance.

On 3/25/2022 at 11:27 AM, jay1021 said:

Yes, exactly:  

On 3/26/2022 at 9:06 AM, YOLO said:

@Eniale   I see many off topic comments, but no confirmed answer. 

I thought the yes, with supporting documentation from Royal’s website was a pretty solid answer.

10 minutes ago, Heymarco said:

I thought the yes, with supporting documentation from Royal’s website was a pretty solid answer.

Sorry, I am an Engineer and have to read it as I understand it.  It says "NAAT test" which w/o qualification is a 48 hour test.  Add to that it is grouped in a sentence with two other 48 hour tests (molecule and PCR).  Then it goes on to say these are all "PCR" tests - which are 48 hour tests.  How do you draw the conclusion that the NAAT test referenced is a rapid test?  If it is a rapid test, then why not include it on the second line with the rapid antigen test?  I am sorry, but I would rather know for sure that it has actually worked for someone.

8 minutes ago, YOLO said:

NAAT tests come in two types, the 48 Hour version and the rapid version.  Your RCCL link only confirms the 48 Hour "PCR" version - as RCCL calls it.  Do you know of someone who has taken the Walgreens "Rapid NAAT Test" and had it accepted to board a RCCL ship?  Thanks in advance.

I can't and won't get into who did this, that, or the other thing.  "MY RCCL" link says nothing about a "48 Hour "PCR" version".  RCCL says, "

There is no distinction between RAPID or not.  It just lumps a molecular test, which is also called a PCR test OR NAAT TEST, for their purposes as the same requirements as A PCR test, period.  So, according to RCCL's words, a NAAT rapid or not test is acceptable.  Once again, a non-rapid NAAT, will take too long in virtually all cases unless you live next door to a lab that can, legally, process a non-rapid NAAT test and return it to you in time.  They have to be sent off to a lab, that involves transportation to and transportation from the lab.  48 hours is very optimistic especially if you have to travel long distance to the port/city.  I don't think Royal would point you to a test that would cause you not to get your test results in time.  But, at the same time micro manage which type test you have to take.  They give you options.  Sure, they are partnered with a company that will sell you a particular test kit.  But, they aren't saying that that is the only option.

I think we have beating a dead horse, at this point.  

1 hour ago, YOLO said:

Sorry, I am an Engineer and have to read it as I understand it.  It says "NAAT test" which w/o qualification is a 48 hour test.  Add to that it is grouped in a sentence with two other 48 hour tests (molecule and PCR).  Then it goes on to say these are all "PCR" tests - which are 48 hour tests. Apparently you didn't click on the link that I provided earlier: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/lab/naats.html, which states, see cut and paste below  How do you draw the conclusion that the NAAT test referenced is a rapid test?  See link above and cut and paste below and the NAAT test referenced isn't referenced as a "rapid" or non-rapid test.  That's the point.   If it is a rapid test, then why not include it on the second line with the rapid antigen test? Because "they" aren't making any distinction between "rapid" or not in that line.  An Antigen is a rapid test, therefore it is called a rapid antigen test. (https://medical.mit.edu/covid-19-updates/2020/05/how-does-covid-19-antigen-test-work) I am sorry, but I would rather know for sure that it has actually worked for someone.  Great, you do you and I'll do me!  

I'm going to beat this dead horse just a little more.  

NAATs have been authorized for use in different settings, such as in laboratory facilities by trained personnel (laboratory-based) or in point-of-care (POC) settings. Some NAATs can even be self-administered at home or in other non-healthcare locations. Some NAATs are considered rapid tests that are performed at or near the place where the specimen is collected and can provide the result within minutes

30 minutes ago, Luly said:

I understand the NAAT is accepted, but is it accepted for unvaccinated children? I’m just afraid someone at the terminal won’t see the magic letters “PCR” and will deny boarding for my 3 year old. 

I understand your concern.  

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/will-i-have-to-take-a-test-before-i-cruise

Required Testing for All Guests Sailing Round-Trip From U.S. Homeports

All Guests: Required Pre-Cruise Testing 

Before boarding day, you’ll need to take a COVID-19 test on your own, at your own expense.

• Vaccinated guests must show a negative COVID-19 test result for a PCR or antigen test taken no more than 2 days before boarding day. NOTE: Kids age 5 to 11 who have been vaccinated may present proof of full vaccination and follow the testing protocols for vaccinated guests.
  • Unvaccinated kids age 2 to 11 must show a negative test result for a PCR test (not antigen) taken no more than 3 days before boarding day.
  • Unvaccinated kids’ pre-cruise test cannot be taken on boarding day, because that may affect the sample taken during the kids’ test at the terminal.
  • Learn more about how to calculate which days you can take your test.
  • Guests under 2 years of age do not need to complete a pre-cruise test. 

So, see red print above.  You can only us the PCR or  NAAT test, they will not accept the "antigen" test.  So, I'd print this or go to the link and print that.  I don't see how they could deny your test.  Warning:  the test kit that I got from the U.S. Government says it is an "Antigen" test.  Therefore, if you have one or many of those, they won't be good to use on your 3 year old unvaccinated child.  Your best bet would be to get the one on the Royal website:   EDITED IN:  Disregard the test kit Royal sells, it's an Antigen test.  They won't even accept the test kit they partner with/sell.  I don't know what to tell you about that.  Just call around, CVS/Walgreens, urgent care facilities/your family dr., state or county clinics, what ever, and ask if they have rapid tests that aren't Antigen ask if they have Molecular/PCR/NAATS.  

Also, there is the following:

Unvaccinated Kids Age 2-11: Additional Complimentary Testing

In addition to the pre-cruise test, unvaccinated kids will take one or two more tests, depending on the length of the cruise. Royal Caribbean’s test provider will administer these, at no cost to our guests.

On boarding day, 

• Unvaccinated kids will take a complimentary test when checking in at the terminal. Registration details will be sent via email in advance. 
  • For cruises that are 5 nights or longer, unvaccinated kids will take a complimentary antigen test onboard before the cruise ends. Guests will be notified onboard about how to register for this test.

I can't guarantee that this Royal webpage is up to date, I'd damn sure hope so because that's what's in their FAQ.

6 hours ago, Luly said:

I understand the NAAT is accepted, but is it accepted for unvaccinated children? I’m just afraid someone at the terminal won’t see the magic letters “PCR” and will deny boarding for my 3 year old. 

Yes, Royal accepts PCR/NAAT tests for unvaccinated children. They do not accept antigen tests for unvaccinated. This is clearly laid out on their website and been confirmed numerous times by people here, including myself. Cheers!

The Walgreens NAAT that I have used successfully was the ID-NOW test which Royal's website specifically mentions they accept. At the I took the test the Walgreen website stated there was a 24 hour potential turn around on this test, but it never took me that long to receive my results. Most of the time it was within the hour after I took the test.  I see now they've changed the verbiage on the NAAT test on the Walgreens site to remove the ID-NOW name (which means it could be a different brand now) and it also states it is a rapid test with results within 24 hours.

At the port the worker checking the documents is looking for PCR/NAAT/antigen for the test type. They do not care if it is a rapid test or not and they aren't specifically looking for a brand name. They want to see your name matching your official documents, the date the test was taken, the negative result and the test type (PCR/NAAT/antigen).

7 hours ago, theflowersmith said:

We are planning to go to Walgreens as well. Our boarding time is 1:00. Does Royal split hairs with the times or can I have the test done in the morning two days before?

As stated, you must have the test done no more that two "DAYS", before your embarkation day.  So, if you count days like Royal does, if you cruise on a Friday, you can take your test on the Wednesday (any time on Wednesday) before your Friday embarkation, to make things simple, Friday doesn't count. 

Happy sailing to you!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

image.png.0cd43864c3ebdddfeb870758f2cb7e4c.png

On 5/27/2022 at 7:56 AM, Heymarco said:

We used NAAT for our unvaccinated children on two cruises.

Thanks for the information everyone! Heymarco, I hate to be a pain here, but could you please confirm that you used the "Rapid NAAT Test" (2 hours) offered from Walgreens (see image above) for your unvaccinated children instead of using the "PCR Laboratory Test" (48 hours)? And this was used on a Royal Caribbean cruise? 

If so, what do the test results look like. It sounds like it doesn't say "Rapid" on it. Is that correct? Does it say "PCR" on it, or "NAAT"? I understand that Royal Caribbean says they interpret them as the same. (Just curious).

Thanks in advance!

57 minutes ago, Chaser said:

image.png.0cd43864c3ebdddfeb870758f2cb7e4c.png

Thanks for the information everyone! Heymarco, I hate to be a pain here, but could you please confirm that you used the "Rapid NAAT Test" (2 hours) offered from Walgreens (see image above) for your unvaccinated children instead of using the "PCR Laboratory Test" (48 hours)? And this was used on a Royal Caribbean cruise? 

If so, what do the test results look like. It sounds like it doesn't say "Rapid" on it. Is that correct? Does it say "PCR" on it, or "NAAT"? I understand that Royal Caribbean says they interpret them as the same. (Just curious).

Thanks in advance!

Yes, can confirm we used it for an unvaccinated child and it wasn’t an issue as all. Can’t recall if it said PCR or NAAT.

No need to sweat it though, by this time all the pier workers are very familiar with all the test types.