Change Room with our teenager

SER

Hello Royal Caribbean Bloggers...

I am inquiring to see if any avid cruisers out there have ever happened to change or swap their assigned room with their teenagers. Because we have a 18 & 19 son and daughter, we had to book Mom and Daughter in room 1 and Dad and Son in room 2.  We do have adjoining rooms but was curious if anyone has ever moved the kids into room 1 and mom and dad room together???  I am curious how it works once you've already checked-in and the credit/debit cards are assigned to a specific SeaPass, how my daughter's SeaPass and her debit card would transfer to her new room. 

I am hoping this makes sense and if anyone has ever moved the kids after the fact and how it could work.

Looking forward to hearing some feedback.

Many Thanks! 

As others have said, yes, it's no problem to switch rooms.  But I question why you had to book the rooms this way.  You should only have to book the "children" (quotes since they are both 18+) with the parents if you were booking NON-adjoining rooms.  I've always heard the rule is children have to be next door or across the hall to be booked in a separate room.  There are other reasons to split the parents though.  Since the alcohol package must be purchased for all guests over 21 in the same room, it is common to separate the parents when only one wants the package.  Again, no problem to switch rooms once on board.

44 minutes ago, Pooch said:

Royal doesn’t care who sleeps where.  No need to formally move people around.  As Matt said, just stop at guest services and get extra keys

Our family has never switched out cards, we just keep the inside connection door open between the adjoining balcony rooms. 

8 hours ago, Atlantix2000 said:

As others have said, yes, it's no problem to switch rooms.  But I question why you had to book the rooms this way.  You should only have to book the "children" (quotes since they are both 18+) with the parents if you were booking NON-adjoining rooms.  I've always heard the rule is children have to be next door or across the hall to be booked in a separate room.  There are other reasons to split the parents though.  Since the alcohol package must be purchased for all guests over 21 in the same room, it is common to separate the parents when only one wants the package.  Again, no problem to switch rooms once on board.

When I booked our rooms, I had to split us up. My kids are 15, 17, and 20. I originally booked through the RC website and it said the first person listed had to be 21+. I thought it was weird, but didn't question it. Maybe because my son is the only one over 18? Saved us money in the end since I got the DBP for myself, but didn't have to get it for my husband who doesn't really drink.

Does it matter who is in what room as long as the correct CC is assigned to the person? Is there something that gets charged by room number? Asking because we are doing something similar but different (2 rooms for me, hubby, daughter, and father in law and want it to be hubby, daughter, and me in 1 room and father in law in the other). I want to make sure we don't inadvertently charge something to him since my hubby is in that room with him right now.

14 hours ago, Landlocked CPA said:

When I booked our rooms, I had to split us up. My kids are 15, 17, and 20. I originally booked through the RC website and it said the first person listed had to be 21+. I thought it was weird, but didn't question it. Maybe because my son is the only one over 18? Saved us money in the end since I got the DBP for myself, but didn't have to get it for my husband who doesn't really drink.

I should clarify.  The website required you to split up as described because multiple rooms are technically separate reservations and every reservation has to follow all rules.  By treating each reservation individually, the website programming can't recognize exceptions like adjacency.  If you had called Royal (or used a TA), then they would let you book without splitting up as long as you follow the rules for being near enough to each other.  Of course, as you found, sometimes this works in your favor when you want the DBP for only one person.

On 3/11/2022 at 10:34 AM, Matt said:

Yes, never a problem. 

Just go to Guest Services when you board and ask to swap out cards.

So, when we're asking to swap out keys and have our daughter moved to the room with her brother, will the credit / debt cards also transfer to the "new" room key? that was our concern, that the "new" room key would not carry over with her debit card. We wanted to make sure my husbands room key to my room would also have his credit info.

Thanks!!

22 hours ago, SER said:

So, when we're asking to swap out keys and have our daughter moved to the room with her brother, will the credit / debt cards also transfer to the "new" room key? that was our concern, that the "new" room key would not carry over with her debit card. We wanted to make sure my husbands room key to my room would also have his credit info.

Thanks!!

Whatever credit/debit card you have linked to a seapass card will stay linked to that seapass cad.  The new "room key" is actually just a duplicate key-it is unable to be used for charging anything or getting on/off the ship-it is only a key to unlock the stateroom.    Your daughter will need to have her original seapass card for any charging as well as to disembark and  get back on the ship at ports.    

On 3/11/2022 at 9:52 PM, bryresangel said:

Does it matter who is in what room as long as the correct CC is assigned to the person? Is there something that gets charged by room number? Asking because we are doing something similar but different (2 rooms for me, hubby, daughter, and father in law and want it to be hubby, daughter, and me in 1 room and father in law in the other). I want to make sure we don't inadvertently charge something to him since my hubby is in that room with him right now.

Each seapass card can have it's own charge/debit card or even NO charging allowed to it.  
You cannot "charge to the room" like a hotel....the only area for potential problem is at somewhere they do not use the Seapass card, like Cococay bar....they will ask for a room number, and then perhaps there is room for error as to who will get the charge in that room, hopefully they note the name of the person.  You can check the account on the app or the room TV daily to see the charges....go to guest services to have things adjusted if necessary.