Weird question

Leighq

9 minutes ago, Leighq said:

I haven’t seen this at all so here it goes.  Let’s say as a woman I need time of month products and or advil.  Is there a place to get that or do I have to go to the medical bay?  

Yes, there is an equivalent on the ship akin to a general store that has simple OTC  medications and first aid items available for purchase. 

The ships I have been on have all had a small selection of items in the shops. Like if you forgot your toothbrush, or needed antacid, or whatever. I can't swear they all have such a thing, but it is likely. However, the shops are not always open!

Best to pack carefully 🙂 

And of course most ports will have drugstores or convenience stores or whatnot close to the pier. 

12 minutes ago, Leighq said:

I haven’t seen this at all so here it goes.  Let’s say as a woman I need time of month products and or advil.  Is there a place to get that or do I have to go to the medical bay?  

I know on a lot of the ships, they have vending machines that sell all sorts of medical items. They'd likely at least have advil or equivalent. 

12 minutes ago, Lexster said:

I know on a lot of the ships, they have vending machines that sell all sorts of medical items. They'd likely at least have advil or equivalent. 

Didn't know that. Is there a list of what ships these vending machines are available on?  I found a post from @Matt in 2018 that Symphony has a bank of vending machines dispensing health essentials; electronics, and souvenirs, toiletries & sunscreens, etc.  

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2018/10/31/spotted-self-service-merchandise-machines-symphony-of-the-seas

Am now wondering which ships or classes of ships have those.  Does anyone know?

13 minutes ago, EmptyNestTravels said:

Didn't know that. Is there a list of what ships these vending machines are available on?  I found a post from @Matt in 2018 that Symphony has a bank of vending machines dispensing health essentials; electronics, and souvenirs, toiletries & sunscreens, etc.  

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2018/10/31/spotted-self-service-merchandise-machines-symphony-of-the-seas

I know this was the weirdest question but I had to put it out there!

14 minutes ago, EmptyNestTravels said:

I'm pretty sure the Oasis-class ships have it. I know the Oasis of the Seas does since I've seen them on ship tour videos.

11 minutes ago, Lexster said:

I'm pretty sure the Oasis-class ships have it. I know the Oasis of the Seas does since I've seen them on ship tour videos.

Didn't see any on the 15th deck (pool deck) of Harmony (Oasis class) recently, and I don't see them listed in the deck plans.  There was a little shop on deck 15 aft near the arcade (near the ice cream machine) but it had a sign posted that it was closed until further notice.  Maybe I just missed the machines because I wasn't looking for them.  Will definitely look in the future.   I will say I was disappointed with stock & selection of toiletries, pharmacy items, etc. available in the deck 5 retail shops on Harmony.  From memory, Independence (Freedom class) had a much better stock of sundries, health essentials, souvenirs, toiletries & sunscreens, etc.  

11 minutes ago, Pooch said:

So the lesson here is bring anything you might remotely need.  I bring a small pharmacy!  It’s been some time since I’ve had the problem but I think most women have an idea when they might have need of certain products and if they should pack some.

This is me. Pretty much anything in by bathroom or medicine cabinet I "think" I may need, gets packed. Everything from Imodium to tums to Excedrin to allergy meds to bandaids. There's nothing like the comfort of knowing you have something with you in an urgent situation. 

7 hours ago, PG Cruiser said:

Post-COVID, Royal has stopped selling fever and pain medication. The reason I was given was that they did not like people with COVID symptoms self-medicating.

On the Wonder, they still did not have any Acetaminophen or Ibuprofen in the vending machines

350D102F-B16B-4E17-8004-3B400B599E7C.thumb.jpeg.98406c577ff1a4394464bd2403816eef.jpeg

this is completely accurate. There were NO NSAIDS or acetaminophen in the vending machines on our december Odyssey cruise for the reasons mentioned above. You will need to bring your own of these meds.

12 hours ago, Pooch said:

So the lesson here is bring anything you might remotely need.  I bring a small pharmacy!  It’s been some time since I’ve had the problem but I think most women have an idea when they might have need of certain products and if they should pack some.

I do the same thing!  I bring a mesh over the door (similar for holding shoes) with lots of pockets that I put that stuff in.  I bring all sorts of OTC medicines, band-aids, sunscreen, and even insect repellent wipes.  Even IF you could get it on the ship, it will cost more than what you would pay at home.   I rarely need a lot of the stuff I bring; however, I would rather have it and not need it than they other way around.

13 hours ago, Leighq said:

I know this was the weirdest question but I had to put it out there!

Not a weird question at all. Some of us know exactly when we will need said products and for some, its a "surprise." I always pack a small pharmacy as well. Like others have said, no pain relievers post-COVID available for purchase. Depending on your ports, there's usually some type  of general store in the port where you can purchase said items. I was on Oasis in December and the vending machines stopped working about 3 days into the cruise, so I wouldn't depend on them. The 2 non-Oasis (Rhapsody & Liberty) ships I've been on had products for sale in the logo store or liquor store. However, the options were extremely limited. 

8 hours ago, PG Cruiser said:

Post-COVID, Royal has stopped selling fever and pain medication. The reason I was given was that they did not like people with COVID symptoms self-medicating.

On the Wonder, they still did not have any Acetaminophen or Ibuprofen in the vending machines

350D102F-B16B-4E17-8004-3B400B599E7C.thumb.jpeg.98406c577ff1a4394464bd2403816eef.jpeg

Good point, I didn't even think about them not wanting sick people to try to medicate themselves without reporting it.

14 hours ago, Pooch said:

We also bring a small pharmacy with us...Even though the items might be available onboard...The prices are too much for us

16 hours ago, PG Cruiser said:

I couldn't see from this picture I took what items 130-139; 13A-13D are.  I can only read "Relief" on them.  Maybe the B2Bers can find out for us.

21 hours ago, EmptyNestTravels said:

Like @Pooch, I take a "small pharmacy" with me, too.  Got a surprise onboard recently when I noticed the instructions for one of my excursions said to bring insect repellent.  Guess what was one of the things the ship's retail stores didn't stock and sell?.  Lesson learned.  🤪

Ha! I never thought about insect repellent, and it was recommended for Gumbalimba Park (in Roatan) by a fellow cruiser. We did not check the ship's store, but did look at the little stores at the pier area in Roatan. Only the small pharmacy stocked Off, at $12 for a small can! I ended up trying a bit from an "all-natural" insect repellent pump at a nearby kiosk. It must have worked, because no bugs "bugged" me at Gumbalimba. Hubby also tried a bit of the stuff on his arms, but had to quickly wash it off once the attendant pointed out that it contained aloe (he's sensitive to aloe.) 

Next cruise, I will try to pack our pump bottle of Deep Woods Off. 

21 hours ago, Audrey V. said:

Some things can be ridiculously priced. I suggest at a minimum:

Meclizine or equivalent.

Pepto Bismal

Headache medicine 

Bandaid and any ointment

Sunburn relief spray 

Sunscreen and chapstick 

Also,

laxative pills

dental floss

multi-vitamins (I like gummies!)

Benadryl (good for seasickness if in the evening)

GasX

and prepackaged, nutritious snacks for diabetic hubby (cashews, peanuts, cracker sandwiches)

So we have a "kit". It's actually a small toolbox from Home Depot that you would use to hold screws/nuts/bolts/drill bits etc. It holds bandaids, Neosporin, small scissors, tweezers, nail clippers, alcohol prep pads, cortisone cream etc. Then we have a divided medicine box for all the OTC meds like Advil, Tylenol, Imodium, benadryl, tums, etc. Then there's the baggies with toothpaste and toothbrushes, flossers, sunscreen, burn relief spray plus the soaps, razors, shave creams, baby powder etc, etc, etc. 

So basically I bring all of CVS with me. But rather have it than not. I did have to buy some feminine products in San Juan last month, yeah the Walgreens was mobbed! I didn't think the price was bad, it was more the inconvenience of having to wait in line. 

14 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Safety pins and a small sewing kit 

One reason I was sympathetic to @dancernl traveling with a teenager. When mine was sixteen I once did a full alteration on her dress using only the emergency sewing kit I’d packed. It “didn’t hang right,” leading to a predinner meltdown 🤪  (She has since grown up, learned to sew, and packs her own kit)

On 3/12/2022 at 1:30 PM, fa-li said:

One reason I was sympathetic to @dancernl traveling with a teenager. When mine was sixteen I once did a full alteration on her dress using only the emergency sewing kit I’d packed. It “didn’t hang right,” leading to a predinner meltdown 🤪  (She has since grown up, learned to sew, and packs her own kit)

Solidarity! If no one has added, I'd also recommend a travel nail kit. On our trip 2 weeks ago both the 16 year old and my husband needed nail clippers. All I had was a small nail file. There was no way in Hades I was going to pay for a manicure onboard at the salon.