Are There Better and Worse Nights at the Windjammer?

KDK

I would prefer to eat at the MDR every night, but some people in my party like the idea of a themed buffet. Are there any specific cuisine nights on the Allure Western Caribbean cruises that are stand out?

My daughter is interested in either the Caribbean dinner theme or the Mexican. 

In your opinion, is it worth it? 

This is a very loaded question that calls for a very relative and/or personal response based upon the context.

If you were asking "better and worse" in terms of objective food quality such as freshness and temperature, then there could be several worthy answers based upon whether formal nights affected Windjammer crowds therefore the food sat there longer, etc.

If you are asking, based upon context, whether the overall aesthetics of theme nights were better or worse, such as Mexican nights are decorated more or what not, that would also be a fair question.

If you were asking about what's better (Caribbean food or Mexican), that would require a personal response that might not answer your intended question.  I have a feeling that is not what you were really asking though.

HERE is my response...Why not just go on all event/theme based nights, take five minutes to peruse the Windjammer, and if it doesn't seem appealing, go elsewhere.  That is the beauty of a cruise, so many options.  I would not avoid or choose a restaurant based upon forum member opinions alone.  I want to see, taste and experience it for myself.  But opinions do help. No doubt.

Have fun!

3 hours ago, CruisingNewb said:

This is a very loaded question that calls for a very relative and/or personal response based upon the context.

If you were asking "better and worse" in terms of objective food quality such as freshness and temperature, then there could be several worthy answers based upon whether formal nights affected Windjammer crowds therefore the food sat there longer, etc.

If you are asking, based upon context, whether the overall aesthetics of theme nights were better or worse, such as Mexican nights are decorated more or what not, that would also be a fair question.

If you were asking about what's better (Caribbean food or Mexican), that would require a personal response that might not answer your intended question.  I have a feeling that is not what you were really asking though.

HERE is my response...Why not just go on all event/theme based nights, take five minutes to peruse the Windjammer, and if it doesn't seem appealing, go elsewhere.  That is the beauty of a cruise, so many options.  I would not avoid or choose a restaurant based upon forum member opinions alone.  I want to see, taste and experience it for myself.  But opinions do help. No doubt.

Have fun!

That's what I'm most excited for. You can just look through the Windjammer and decide if stuff looks good. Heck, if there's a dessert you want, you could feasibly take it with you to the MDR to eat after dinner

53 minutes ago, Lexster said:

That's what I'm most excited for. You can just look through the Windjammer and decide if stuff looks good. Heck, if there's a dessert you want, you could feasibly take it with you to the MDR to eat after dinner

Not only that, stop by the Windjammer, if something looks interesting, ask for a small plate of it. Taste it. If you like, you can come back later and have it for second dinner, or eat it right there and then for first dinner.  Its like a freaking Costco but only samples.  You don't have to commit.  You can browse and walk away.  

16 minutes ago, CruisingNewb said:

Not only that, stop by the Windjammer, if something looks interesting, ask for a small plate of it. Taste it. If you like, you can come back later and have it for second dinner, or eat it right there and then for first dinner.  Its like a freaking Costco but only samples.  You don't have to commit.  You can browse and walk away.  

True! Much like the hobbits, you can have dinner AND supper!

9 hours ago, CruisingNewb said:

Have fun!

Thank you for your considered response. I was basically asking if any of the theme nights were particularly standout in anyone's opinion. Since I am traveling with a group that is only wanting to go to the buffet for dinner for only one night, and my teenager requested either Caribbean night or Mexican night,  I was hoping that people who have eaten there those nights might make suggestions. I really enjoy hearing people's personal responses (such as listening to the Mason Jar reviews from Wonder)  and that was what I was hoping for in this case. With that said, your post was helpful and made me consider options that I hadn't before. I appreciate you taking the time to answer me so thoughtfully. 

4 hours ago, CruisingNewb said:

Hmm...never considered treating ourselves twice! Thanks for this "cuisine speed dating" suggestion!

21 hours ago, skittermagoo said:

I'm not sure about Allure, but on Adventure in January they had a Caribbean night, an Indian night, and an Italian night (I think). We went for the Indian night because we got back from our excursion too late for dinner, and it was FABULOUS.  

Do they advertise in the cruise compass compass about the different nights? 

21 hours ago, Rose City Cruiser said:

We like Caribbean night at WJ for the oxtail and goat curry

Oh my goodness goat curry and oxtails are so good, you have my mouth watering  right now.

To answer the OP question I say yes they are both worth it, I think a lot of people overlook Windjammers at dinner and while I don't go to Windjammers every night on a cruise  the night or in some cases nights that I do go there the food has been great and flavorful.  If they are looking for a specific theme I would suggest they either check the cruise compass or the app for the theme.

14 hours ago, KDK said:

Thank you for your considered response. I was basically asking if any of the theme nights were particularly standout in anyone's opinion. Since I am traveling with a group that is only wanting to go to the buffet for dinner for only one night, and my teenager requested either Caribbean night or Mexican night,  I was hoping that people who have eaten there those nights might make suggestions. I really enjoy hearing people's personal responses (such as listening to the Mason Jar reviews from Wonder)  and that was what I was hoping for in this case. With that said, your post was helpful and made me consider options that I hadn't before. I appreciate you taking the time to answer me so thoughtfully. 

Ok.  That changes things quite a bit.  

If you are only going to visit the buffet once, and for a themed night, I would go Caribbean.  Unless you come from a city that has no Mexican food readily available, I don't think that there would be a debate.  Caribbean food isn't readily available where I live.  As mentioned somewhere above Caribbean braised oxtail is available.  I would go just for that. LOL