Small Craft Advisory

MamaG

Anyone know if a small craft advisory means the ship will be rockier than usual or that you'll feel it more than usual. I know cruise ships don't move much.. but I've been susceptible to sea sickness in the past. Just curious if it'll be an issue on Sunday. 😝

if you aren't a regular boater or ship rider i would give you the same advice i give everyone else - just take the dramamine.  there are both drowsy and non drowsy versions, or just take ginger supplements if you want to go natural.  there are literally no side effects.  just take them everyday and enjoy your trip.  even if it's just the placebo effect, hey you're still feeling better!  

For folks unfamiliar with what things are like offshore, here's a GREAT website:  www.passageweather.com. It's free.   It's designed for sailors to make long distance ocean passages.  You can "animate" it and see what the next week or so will look like, anywhere in the world.  For those of us in the US, wave heights are in meters. 

26 minutes ago, Bill S said:

For folks unfamiliar with what things are like offshore, here's a GREAT website:  www.passageweather.com. It's free.   It's designed for sailors to make long distance ocean passages.  You can "animate" it and see what the next week or so will look like, anywhere in the world.  For those of us in the US, wave heights are in meters. 

Hmm, I wonder if I am better off knowing, or just "go with the flow" or in this case "waves"

For iPhone folks, there's also a free app called Marine Weather Forecast Pro in the Apple App Store.  It has in-app purchases, but you don't need to pay unless you want access to additional upgraded features.  The app gives you the forecasted winds in knots, and seas in feet.  Oh, and if you want to see the speed and course the ship is going when you're onboard (uses your location - so would only work when you're on the ship and connected to WiFi - presuming you purchased the WiFi package), there is an app called "Nautic Speed and Compass" that does that ($1.99).  

BTW, on my last cruise, I saw *many* pax wearing the patches behind their ears to avoid getting sea sick - so there's no embarrassment if you want to do that.  Or, as others have said, take Dramamine.  Suggest you bring your own with you as the ship may have a limited supply (in the store and/or at Guest services).  Also, I believe it's recommended not to drink alcohol when taking Dramamine, so that may impact your cruise experience depending on your plans & expectations.