Teen Spaces

Luca

Although... I found a Social Feed (teen newsletter) from Oasis - October 2021 - that shows teens as 13-17

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/cruise-compasses/oasis-of-the-seas/sun-10242021-0000

Not sure if this indicates the club age or is totally separate...

What ship are you thinking about (or booked on)? Maybe someone on that particular ship can check for you?

On 3/7/2022 at 5:20 PM, Luca said:

Are they for 12-17 or 13-17? I've read conflicting stuff.

There are kids' area that goes from toddlers to 18.  They will change the age breakdown based on how many kids are on the ship.  I just got off one ship that had 18 kids on the ship.  They were allowed in all the kids areas that were open.  If they wanted in one that was closed, they just needed to ask.   On the other hand, I was on one where they took all the 12-year old's and put them in a meeting room with Lego and building blocks because the ship had 600 kids on the ship.  I do not think there is a clear cut answer to your question.

13 minutes ago, Jkaczano said:

Oasis in September was allowing 12 year olds with a signed waiver. 

Yes, and I have also moved my 11 year old (almost 12) into the 12+ group.  They generally allow kids to move up into the teen group, especially since it is more loosely run.

On 3/11/2022 at 8:32 AM, wordell1 said:

Yes, and I have also moved my 11 year old (almost 12) into the 12+ group.  They generally allow kids to move up into the teen group, especially since it is more loosely run.

So glad to hear someone had success with this!

Was hoping to get my 12 yo daughter in with her older brothers in the 13+ on Oasis. 

On 3/11/2022 at 6:32 AM, wordell1 said:

I read that 12 year olds can come and go from the teen group whenever they want. Is that always the case? I wouldn't want my 12yo to wander around the ship if they got asked to by older kids. Is there a way to restrict that free access?

4 hours ago, jonesjillian said:

I read that 12 year olds can come and go from the teen group whenever they want. Is that always the case? I wouldn't want my 12yo to wander around the ship if they got asked to by older kids. Is there a way to restrict that free access?

No, you can’t restrict their access.  The teen clubs are not like adventure ocean. The counselors are not there to babysit and most activities are held around the ship such as ship wide scavenger hunt, Rock climbing, dodgeball on the sports court.  If you’re not comfortable with them wandering all over the ship unsupervised, they should not be in the teen club

4 hours ago, jonesjillian said:

Nope, other than you letting them know your expectations.

• 2 weeks later...

The teen program (at least on Harmony last month) is like the wild west. There's no rules and no real supervision unless it's a planned event like basketball or something. At night they're running around like crazy and doing whatever they want totally unsupervised. If you don't want your young teen hanging out with unruly, ill mannered other teens, then I suggest you keep them with you in the evenings.

12 minutes ago, MamaG said:

The teen program (at least on Harmony last month) is like the wild west. There's no rules and no real supervision unless it's a planned event like basketball or something. At night they're running around like crazy and doing whatever they want totally unsupervised. If you don't want your young teen hanging out with unruly, ill mannered other teens, then I suggest you keep them with you in the evenings.

The teens are mostly High School age are a surely allowed to be in situations at home where they are unsupervised.  While I'm sure that there are some who are unruly and ill mannered, I don't think it describes the majority.  As a parent, you raise your child to make good decisions, including who to hang out with.  You know your child and how much trust you give them not to be in trouble on the ship.  Most of the teens like to hang out and get to know other teens - some form friendships that last well after the cruise.

One thing I enjoy as a parent of a teen is that we can go on a cruise and my wife and I do not have to constantly find ways to entertain.  We get to do the things we like to do, my son gets to enjoy the things he likes to do.  We set times to check in and he always has to eat with us.  I trust my son to make good decisions, just as my parents trusted me when I was in High School.  Was I always perfect? - no!  but I knew enough not to get into major trouble.

I'm just putting the info out there for the newbies. I did not expect to find teens running around like they'd escaped from an asylum. 🤣 My teens tried the teen lounge one evening after dinner and decided that it was not their scene. They have no patience for anyone acting like a fool. We all like to think we raise our kids to behave.. but that also includes the kinds of parents that let their children run around a restaurant screaming like a banshee. 🤷🏼‍♀️ ✌️

5 hours ago, MamaG said:

What do you really expect for supervision for high school kids old enough to babysit?  My teens (14 and 15) have done many cruises on both Royal and Disney where they have been in the teen clubs.  Other than Disney crew members saying “Mickey language please” vs Royal crew members telling to “watch your language please”, there is no difference in the amount of supervision in the teen clubs.  Heck, on Disney, 1 kid took a swing at another IN the club, and they didn’t even ban him from coming back (My kid was not involved but was present when it happened and freaked out).  On Royal, my teens have seen none of that and I have never witnessed any teen on our sailings acting unruly.