70's Rock & Romance cruise

mac66

Just thought I would throw this out there since you don't see it mentioned on forums very often...

In 2019 My wife and I discovered  a private charter cruise on Celebrity called the '70s Rock & Romance cruise. We tried to book it but it was full for 2020.  We were able to eventually book it for 2021. That one was canceled but it did run this year 2022. So after a 2 year wait we went. 

We were cruising a lot up until 2020 and we've been to many Caribbean islands so the idea of a 7 day floating rock concert appealed to us as doing "something different."  Being that my wife and I both went to high school, met in college, got our first real jobs and got married the 70s is/was (arguably) our favorite decade we grew up with the music but actually right now, being retired, is pretty fun as well.

This was the first charter we'd been on so there was some things to consider.

1-The company sponsoring the cruise has a "no refund" policy. You can't cancel the cruise, but due to covid you could push it off until the next year.

2-While the cruise was on Celebrity (Summit) loyalty perks didn't apply (we are Elite on X). No free cocktail hour or other perks.

3. In addition to Celebrity's 2 day before covid testing, the sponsoring company instituted a same day rapid covid test at no additional cost. You showed up at the dock, they picked you up in a bus and took you to a nearby building where they did the rapid test. Then transported you back to the dock.  I heard that a number of people tested positive even though they tested neg two days before. Celebrity had relaxed the mask mandate just before this cruise so masks weren't required anywhere on the ship (except for staff).

4. These cruises typically sell out so if you are considering it book it as soon as you can. They open it up to book on board first. Then to previous attendees and then early booking and then open booking.

5. Depending on the cabin you book it is about $1,000/person more than a regular X cruise.

The main venues for the music were the theater, pool side, the Rendezvous Lounge, Sky Lounge and the Grand Foyer. There were concerts starting at 10 am about every two hours in one of more of the venues until about 2 am.  The attendees were split (Gold or Silver cards) and the main concerts in the Theater were rotated. Usually an early 6 pm concert for the Gold and a later 9 pm concert for the Silver. We were silver so ate dinner at 6 and attended the later 9 pm concerts.  There were pool side concerts in the mornings, afternoon, early evening and late night.

Foreigner was one of the headliners. They played the first night and then got off the ship before we set sail.  One of the original guys from Boston had a band that played Boston. Others included Ambrosia, Air Supply, 10CC, Little River Band, lead singer from Chicago, lead singer from Player, Melissa Manchester, Maria Mulduer, The Guess Who, Badfinger, Atlanta Rhythm Section and... some tribute bands for Sly and the Family Stone, Queen, Bread, Eagles, Bee Gees, Wings, Blues Brothers and some cover/house bands that played everything from the 70s.

Foreigner was very good as was The Guess Who. The Boston guy's band didn't play enough Boston and Air Supply, 10cc and the Little River Band played mostly new stuff for the first 40 minutes or so than sprinkled in some of their 70s hits which was disappointing.  The tribute bands were all very good as were the cover bands. There was also a lot of other stuff going on so one was quite busy.

There were also meet and greets with the singers/groups, interviews, Q & A sessions and you ran into them throughout the ship in the bars, MDR, elevators, buffets, poolside or hot tubs. It was a lot of fun to talk with them.

There were a couple nights where there were free drinks during the pool side concerts otherwise you had to have bought a drink package or buy drinks separately.

The ship was rocking for 7 days (4 at sea days and two port stops) and it was a lot of fun. This was the 5th anniversary and there were a lot of repeat R&Rers.  

The charter company also does a Flower Power (late 60's early 70's) cruise, a Malt Shop (50s early 60s) cruise, a Disco, Jazz, Soul Train cruise and probably others. There is some overlap between these cruises and you will find some of the same groups on many of them. You can google those if interested.

As much as we enjoyed it I don't think we are going to do it next year. Maybe again in 2 or 3 years but not every year

If you have any questions I'll try and answer

https://rockandromancecruise.com/

I just ran across the last day itinerary for the R&R cruise. They put one out every day (night before). There was a theme every day as well as swag. We got hats, tote bags, note books, album covers, etc. First night were shirts, so the second day's theme was R&R shirt day. There was also a disco night, dress your best night, represent night (team, alma mater etc). A lot of people dressed up, a lot didn't. The last night was pretty much get drunk night because you have to go home tomorrow.  But this schedule kinds of gives you an idea of how it was organized.

AGRENdr.jpg