Use AZ Firestick on Serenade of the Seas?

We have a trip to Alaska planned for July and have a Grand Suite reserved on SoS. If I bring an AZ Firestick, will I be able to use it? From online pics of the cabin, it looks like the TV has accessible ports, but I read that there may be an issue with changing the input channel. Someone suggested a small universal remote to do this. Worth my time, or not? Thanks.

6 hours ago, HoneyBVegas said:

We have a trip to Alaska planned for July and have a Grand Suite reserved on SoS. If I bring an AZ Firestick, will I be able to use it? From online pics of the cabin, it looks like the TV has accessible ports, but I read that there may be an issue with changing the input channel. Someone suggested a small universal remote to do this. Worth my time, or not? Thanks.

Welcome to the boards!

I my opinion, not worth your time. While you may be able to plug it in, don't count on Serenade's internet to be perfect as you travel north. She's an older ship and the satellites are harder to reach. I fear you would just be frustrated.

• 2 months later...

@HoneyBVegas Welcome to the Royal Caribbean Blog Forum!

Here is some info for you about using in cabin TV HDMI ports.  My universal remote worked perfectly on Anthem last month, but I just got off the Adventure (yesterday) where it did not!  But after further investigation, I did not need it.  By luck I discovered that if I plugged into the HDMI port and used the RCI room remote that I could tune it to channel 3 and activate the HDMI!  I am guessing this maybe true of all Voyager class ships and maybe other older ships too.

As far as streaming movies - forget it.  Even if you have your content downloaded onto your device and either mirror it to the TV or to a HDMI device (like Chromecast) it is not worth your trouble.  I find the zoom WiFi to be unreliable.  It may work for a while and you may get through a movie, but if you don't it is frustrating and a waste of time.  Even worse if you try streaming from an off ship server (NAS, commercial stream company, etc) as it is almost never satisfactory.

Instead use an HD Media Server w/ HDMI.  Some laptops. tablets, & phones can do this too, but might not be as compact as my solution below.  Before your cruise you can pre-load your movies and TV shows onto a 512GB micro SD card.  This will give you more hours of your favorite content than your cruise is long (unless you do Royal's World Cruise).  This is what I am using and it has worked perfectly...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089VXSD1H

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09B1HMJ9Z

https://www.amazon.com/3-Device-Universal-Preprogrammed-SRP9232D-27/dp/B07B4P1DK9

Let me know if you have any questions...

On 5/8/2022 at 2:46 PM, Matt said:

All of a sudden I can rent a car from Budget.

Managed to get two one-way rentals for just 24 hours (pick in Seattle, drop off in Vancouver) and take advantage of a up to 40% off sale: https://slickdeals.net/f/15756607-select-users-budget-rent-select-vehicle-save-up-to-40-off-taxes-fees-apply?src=frontpage

Saved a ton of money.

4 hours ago, YOLO said:

@scottb76  Nice!  Just curious as to what ship you plan to try this on?  It seems like most Royal TVs are Samsungs.  Make sure your remote can change inputs - that is all you will need it for.

Serenade of the seas