Alaska in July

My recommendation for Alaska is prepare for anything.  It could be dry, wet, cool, or warm.  Plan for layers as it can be cool and wet in the morning, and then dry up and be warm in the afternoon (or visa versa!).  Last time we didn't bring enough shorts and regretted it as it was in the mid to high 70s every day.  It will always be cool (cold, to those not used to it) when they go into the glaciated arms.

As @SpeedNoodlessays, you need to be prepared for a wide range of conditions.

Our last Alaska cruise was in July. I only put on long pants to go to the MDR each evening (back to shorts after dinner). On the very same cruise, there were several mornings that my wife wished she had brought a much heavier coat than she did (including the day cruising the glacier).

25 minutes ago, CeciMami said:

I’ve heard that bugs can get bad in Alaska…which travel months are best for mostly avoiding those annoying creatures?

Shoulder season..early and late..May and September months. It tends to be cooler those months. The mosquitos are massive in Alaska..but they move slower in the cold and are easier to swat.

We are hoping for a glorious,sunny summer here in Juneau!  But the joys of living in a temperature rain forest leads to the reality that it may very well rain all summer.  Peak summer we usually hit the high 80's - low 90's during the day on clear days, 50's at night and sometimes cooler. Layers will be your best friend! We do have massive mosquitoes but like was mentioned they aren't as bad in May and September due to cooler Temps.  My son graduated 2021 Memorial Day weekend and we wore mid-weight jackets to his outdoor graduation.  Also, we got dumped on with snow this year so it may take a little longer for it to all clear off.  We live about 1 1/2 miles from Mendenahll Glacier, I took this picture on Christmas Eve.20211224_124747.thumb.jpg.b664e433ead21f677d5ab82d2651bccb.jpg

Dress in layers and have a rain jacket which is breathable, which will make it more comfortable. Forget the umbrella. We had days in just a t-shirt and others where where we had four layers. Expect all possible weather. Also bug spray and sunscreen. A waterproof hiking shoe you could wear each day, but pack another pair just in case you need to let one pair dry. We like merino wool socks to keep you warm and dry and they dry quick and generally do not smell. Enjoy

We did the July cruise years ago. We had a balcony.  At all times, the sun was shining.  Even with blackout shades, the room stayed light. 

Dress in layers. It will be cold when you get to the glaciers.  Some of the towns will also be cool,  while others will be warm. In the ship will be the same as anywhere else.